Thread: Tsm ?

RC Enthusiast

Tsm ?

Does this TSM system really work. It doesn't seem to make much difference if it is set on 0 or 100. How can this control traction if there are no wheel speed sensors to monitor wheel slip and there is nothing that regulates power or braking to each wheel ? They say it does not affect performance so I dont think it is reducing throttle or power. Maybe I am missing something ? Any information would be appreciated,Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICH P. View Post
    Does this TSM system really work. It doesn't seem to make much difference if it is set on 0 or 100. How can this control traction if there are no wheel speed sensors to monitor wheel slip and there is nothing that regulates power or braking to each wheel ? They say it does not affect performance so I dont think it is reducing throttle or power. Maybe I am missing something ? Any information would be appreciated,Thanks
    It doesn’t do anything with wheel speed/traction. It is stability control, not traction control. It has a gyro in the receiver and uses this to decide if you need help keeping the truck straight and keeps the wheels turned into the direction of travel, not necessarily the direction of the truck. For example if you are speeding over a bunch of little bumps and the truck starts to point to the left, the tsm will see this and start turning the wheels to the right to correct this.

I know on my revo 2.0, if you pick the truck up off the ground and turn it left and right, the steering will automatically move in the opposite direction. That is the tsm seeing that you are sideways and trying to keep you straight.
    Last edited by justin13703; 04-19-2020 at 10:43 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by justin13703 View Post
    It doesn’t do anything with wheel speed/traction. It is stability control, not traction control. It has a gyro in the receiver and uses this to decide if you need help keeping the truck straight and keeps the wheels turned into the direction of travel, not necessarily the direction of the truck. For example if you are speeding over a bunch of little bumps and the truck starts to point to the left, the tsm will see this and start turning the wheels to the right to correct this.

I know on my revo 2.0, if you pick the truck up off the ground and turn it left and right, the steering will automatically move in the opposite direction. That is the tsm seeing that you are sideways and trying to keep you straight.
    +1 on this.
    It's actually kinda spooky to see it in action (front wheels 'steering') when you are swinging the truck side to side in your hand, while not touching the steering wheel).
    --BillJ

RC Enthusiast
    I turned the tsm all the way up on my Rustler 4x4 VXL and kindoff swung the truck side to side a few times and the steering never turned ? Fishtailing does not seem any different with it on 0 or 100 ? Anyone know another way to tell if this is working ? Any help would be appreciated , Thanks

Sometimes you need to give a small amount of forward throttle to get it to turn on. Pick up the car, give small amount of forward throttle, and swing the back end side to side like it was fishtailing. If TSM is on you will know as the front wheels start turning back and forth.

RC Racer
    Maybe the multi-function knob on the transmitter is not assigned to TSM.
    You can change it (check the manual).

In my experience, once you go over the 50%, TSL wont working properly.
    I have TSM on my Stampede 4x4 and my 4 Tec 2.0.
    I often use it on the 4 Tec 2.0, it keeps the car stable at high speed.
    I never use it on my Stampede 4x4, it makes the car unstable at high speed.

RC Racer
    So... the video quality is... ahem... leaving a bit to be desired, but this you-tube vid shows the front wheels being 'corrected' by the TSM as the guy wiggles the chassis back-n-forth:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6tgZf7dG00
    Again, not the best vid, but it was the first one that I found that showed what I was talking about.
    --BillJ

RC poster
    When I have my tsm turned down my truck with a 3s in is wild and uncontrollable, yet when I up the tsm it behave a lot more civilised making it easier to drive fast.
    Might be down to my dodgy driving but it helps me.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH P. View Post
    I have a love/hate relationship to the whole TSM thing so far (3-plus-ish weeks new rustler 4x4 vxl)

Ive always wanted to try a gyro in my lightning epx pro on road, as, it's crazy-fast, and even at over 50mph, you can spin all 4 tires accidentally before you even hit wide open throttle! And if the alignment aint perfect, FORGET about top-speed runs!

Anyways, theres been times ive "played with" TSM settings while on dirt, trying to aim at a dirt pile from various positions, etc...i can say i helps...Moostlyy?
    Lol! It helps, until you are going 40 in sand/ tall grass patches, and nick some good traction after some "whoops" section....and end up vertical, instant 40 mph cartwheel sometimes.

I prefer a VERY mild to, almost MAYBE a click over half-point adjustment on the TSM knob. In the scenario above.

On pavement, i feel TSM can get sketchy on my narrowish residential street with curbside mailboxes, plenty of traffic, parked, And moving cars, etc, while doing some 3s 17t speed runs, i hit 58 mph, and the TSM caused such a crazy speed wobble that the front end came up like when you nail it from a stop! So i had to back down unfortunately. . .my two cents? Spend 2 full packs, one 2s, one 3s, and realllly play around with the TSM!! Change terrain! Changes tires if u can! Change from wet, to dry, packed, to loose, chunky gravel, pea/slick gravel, etc! Go out front on the asphalt after a mild rain, and CHANGE your settings every time u need to slow/turnaround/repeat same runs. Etc. You'll figure out what does and doesnt work for your driving style.

As i always say, traction control, stability control, etc...it does NOT start with a fancy computer, it starts in YOUR foot!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk