RC poster

Maxx runaway and my experience with Traxxas Support

Hi guys and gals,

I bought a Maxx a few months ago and have loved it every minute of using it. That is, until the other day when I had a runaway with the truck and it smashed into my neighbor's car doing about 40 MPH. The wheels did not stop spinning until I held the power button on the ESC for 5-6 seconds. I have never had any other electric R/C have an issue with runaway like this before (have had it happen a lot with nitros). This concerns me because I bought this truck so I could drive it in my neighborhood as it is quieter and I liked the fact that it has a built-in failsafe that I thought would have covered this situation. What I ended up realizing was that the transmitter batteries must have been almost dead when I began running the truck (the battery light was green though) as I noticed that the battery light was flashing red after the wreck.

I didn't really think this was supposed to happen (especially due to the advertised failsafe here: https://traxxas.com/support/there-fa...w-does-it-work) so I called Traxxas support and they graciously offered me a shipping label to send it in. I just received word that they decided to repair the truck at no charge and replace my transmitter batteries (which I am very thankful for and was not expecting, so kudos there), but did not really offer any explanation as to why this could have occurred in the first place.

I do plan on giving support another call, mainly to thank them for the repair, but also to ask if they were able to reproduce the issue or had any other information to share after looking at the truck. Perhaps it is too much to ask but I will try regardless.

If you ended up reading this, what are your thoughts on this? Have any of you had a runaway issue with your truck? I'd like to continue running it in the neighborhood as everyone thinks it is a hoot, but it makes me uncomfortable to know it could potentially hit someone. I definitely will make sure to check my transmitter batteries prior to each run from now on.

RC Competitor
    thats unfortunate and always a fear of mine but you mentioned checking the batteries each time and im bringing this up cause i recently experienced it and you may find it helpful.. the bluetooth module thing for your transmitter that connects the transmitter to your smart phone. it tells you the battery charge for both your truck and transmitter, among many other things as well. i just ordered my second one for another truck

RC poster
    Mine ran away on me twice now. Happened this evening when I switched to training mode from smart phone. the thing went full force into my bbq

*Traxxas has a strict language policy, please do not use those words any longer.*
    Last edited by Double G; 05-19-2020 at 08:53 AM.

RC poster
    Just bought a Maxx. Wow is it fun and durable! Backflips all day long!

Although, I had the same issue. Randomly, the Maxx went full throttle and didnít stop when it was upside down (without pressing the self-righting button). I turned the controller off, then the fail-safe went into effect and the wheels stopped spinning... odd.

RC Qualifier
    Thats scary - especially with the amount of power these things pack.
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir