Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    56

    Still have the Rally VXL brushless car... and now I see a new version.. Same body?

    I have a like new Rally VXL brushless.
    I have less than 10 hours on it and no crashes.
    Changed.. Aluminum shock caps, aluminum drive shaft, and sway bars.
    I also have, but not installed, the diff kit.

    My son wanted a car body like a Ford GT or Corvette, (street) and I was duked by being told I would be able to get one later, since it was a new model then. This is still my goal. I saw the Delta Plastics cars, but I think I needed to do more than just get the body. My LHS has closed so no help locally.

    Car was not abused and never had a lipo.

    What is it worth?
    Blue Traxxas Rally 1/10 4x4
    1st ever RC

  2. #2
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    56
    it's even more confusing now with the new Rally posts. I realize it is a Rally car, but can't they add something to name to separate the 2? Rally, Rally II, Rally followed by year started?

    I realize some of you are more advanced, but hard for the novice. Especially when looking for parts and bodies.
    Blue Traxxas Rally 1/10 4x4
    1st ever RC

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by landonspop View Post
    it's even more confusing now with the new Rally posts. I realize it is a Rally car, but can't they add something to name to separate the 2? Rally, Rally II, Rally followed by year started?

    I realize some of you are more advanced, but hard for the novice. Especially when looking for parts and bodies.
    In your thread in the slash 4x4 forum someone already gave a good answer. The ebay delta plastic choices include a lot of 325mm bodies that will fit the rally.

    The newer “rally” are fiesta rally models with narrower bodies and arms so won’t fit your rally vxl with most likely slash 4x4 everything.

    If you post a photo of the car then we can be sure if it’s the rally vxl that’s just the slash 4x4, in which case almost all slash 4x4 upgrades (except bumpers, etc) will fit.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 04-22-2020 at 04:35 PM.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by landonspop View Post
    I have a like new Rally VXL brushless.
    I have less than 10 hours on it and no crashes.
    Changed.. Aluminum shock caps, aluminum drive shaft, and sway bars.
    I also have, but not installed, the diff kit.

    My son wanted a car body like a Ford GT or Corvette, (street) and I was duked by being told I would be able to get one later, since it was a new model then. This is still my goal. I saw the Delta Plastics cars, but I think I needed to do more than just get the body. My LHS has closed so no help locally.

    Car was not abused and never had a lipo.

    What is it worth?
    I’m confused. Are you trying to upgrade it or sell it?

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    56
    If I can do something with it keep it. If too much trouble, sell it. I got it for my son when they were just coming out. He wanted a race car body. I was told we could get one for it once manufacturers got the specs. Well, that never happened and he didn't use it. Then we found out it was discontinued.

    I saw it just sitting on his shelf and started looking to see our options. Many bodies don't tell me what they will fit. So I came here to get help again. We started here when we got it.

    If I go Delta, what else needs to be done to bring the wheels out to wheel wells. I know the wheelbase matches.
    Last edited by landonspop; 04-22-2020 at 05:54 PM.
    Blue Traxxas Rally 1/10 4x4
    1st ever RC

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by landonspop View Post
    If I can do something with it keep it. If too much trouble, sell it. I got it for my son when they were just coming out. He wanted a race car body. I was told we could get one for it once manufacturers got the specs. Well, that never happened and he didn't use it. Then we found out it was discontinued.

    I saw it just sitting on his shelf and started looking to see our options. Many bodies don't tell me what they will fit. So I came here to get help again. We started here when we got it.

    If I go Delta, what else needs to be done to bring the wheels out to wheel wells. I know the wheelbase matches.
    The most logical way, as I see it, is to get the body, see how much clearance there is once the body is on, and go form there. Totally flush with the wheel wells could present clearance issues with your tires, wheels, etc depending on how your shocks are mounted, what wheels/tires you are running, how much the body posts and lowered/raised.

    Rally body style is out of fashion these days so not too many people are fiddling with them, so it would take a few tries but well worth it. There is nothing like seeing a slash based rally car doing a high speed drift on tarmac or dirt. I just recently got bit with the bug and ended up building 2 fiestas and one rally. Lol.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 04-23-2020 at 01:26 AM.

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    The most logical way, as I see it, is to get the body, see how much clearance there is once the body is on, and go form there. Totally flush with the wheel wells could present clearance issues with your tires, wheels, etc depending on how your shocks are mounted, what wheels/tires you are running, how much the body posts and lowered/raised.

    Rally body style is out of fashion these days so not too many people are fiddling with them, so it would take a few tries but well worth it. There is nothing like seeing a slash based rally car doing a high speed drift on tarmac or dirt. I just recently got bit with the bug and ended up building 2 fiestas and one rally. Lol.
    It's all factory as far as wheels and shocks. But I got to thinking. Is width measured to the outside of tires? Because I would probably be using narrower tires, which brings my tires back in.

    As far as buying the body first and then working around it, I don't want to spend a fortune and don't want any surprises. So I was trying to get all at 1 time.

    A 12 to 17mm adapter will extend width. And then I need tires and wheels. I am not trying to go 60+mph.
    Last edited by landonspop; 04-23-2020 at 02:37 AM.
    Blue Traxxas Rally 1/10 4x4
    1st ever RC

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by landonspop View Post

    As far as buying the body first and then working around it, I don't want to spend a fortune and don't want any surprises. So I was trying to get all at 1 time.
    In that case hopefully someone else with more experience with deltaplastik bodies on slash running road tires can chime in with the specs you need.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 04-23-2020 at 03:18 AM.

  9. #9
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    4
    Proline protoform Corvette C7.R short wheel base is what in trying to install so far so good it's not a perfect fit but I hope it will be by the end.

    I've got some revo sized GTR shocks which I'm fitting jato VG RACING springs on. I may need to add an extra bump stop into the shock bodies to lower it alittle more I'm not sure yet.

    I got the HR 17mm hexs that slip over the std 12mm hexs with 6mm offset but it doesnt seem to be quite enough still. Idk if 10mm offset hexs would have been better. But I've added a spacer behind the hexs now giving me a little more width. So hopefully that works. But I'm waiting for my springs before going further.

    Body mounting should be fine I have the proline mounts plus thinking of some nerf bar extenders to mayb mount the body sides to.

    I'm using proline split six 1/8 buggy rims with road rage tires.

    Have a look on youtube a guy called DanP has built afew nice street cars from the slash/rally chassis including the proline Corvette.

    I've never used a delta plastiks but they sound like a similar mod.

    As for the rally chassis updates I dont think we can even fall it that. The original rally VXL is basically a full fat slash 4x4 vxl with on road parts.

    The newer rally xl5 brushed stuff is waterd down inferior parts with a nicer body WOW lol. Licensed ford fiesta but lose everything that makes the chassis great.

    Metal parts became plastic parts. Adjustable parts became non adjustable parts. Brushless vxl became old as brushed xl5.

    But at the end of it all they are the same thing you can swap any part from the original rally onto the newer one. You can upgrade a newer rally with standard rally vxl parts.

    Unless there's a v3 model I'm unaware of.

    Its the same story with the original stampedes vs the xl5 roller version or something. All parts are the same parts dimensions etc. Just inferior quality.

    Things like. Brushless to brushed. Metal centre drive shaft to plastic centre drive shaft. Adjustable metal links all round to fixed solid plastic links.

    Its not that many parts but the original is absolutely the best its shocking they down grade models as new models fit a licenced body and charge a higher MSRP/RRP. But that's none of my business lol. I'm just happy to own the og rally.
    Build it Bash it Break it, Sell it.

  10. #10
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    4
    I'll open a thread on my build soon. But you will be able to work around any problems. In rc anything is possible and the greatest thing about traxxas is theres always a part to help you do what you want to do.

    I wouldnt worry too much as long as you see some other rally or slash using something you'll be able to figure out a way too.

    Dive in head first I say. Sure it costs though. But done over time or done to last a long time it's not so bad.
    Build it Bash it Break it, Sell it.

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by RCB87 View Post
    Proline protoform Corvette C7.R short wheel base is what in trying to install so far so good it's not a perfect fit but I hope it will be by the end.

    I've got some revo sized GTR shocks which I'm fitting jato VG RACING springs on. I may need to add an extra bump stop into the shock bodies to lower it alittle more I'm not sure yet.


    I got the HR 17mm hexs that slip over the std 12mm hexs with 6mm offset but it doesnt seem to be quite enough still. Idk if 10mm offset hexs would have been better. But I've added a spacer behind the hexs now giving me a little more width. So hopefully that works. But I'm waiting for my springs before going further.

    Body mounting should be fine I have the proline mounts plus thinking of some nerf bar extenders to mayb mount the body sides to.

    I'm using proline split six 1/8 buggy rims with road rage tires.

    Have a look on youtube a guy called DanP has built afew nice street cars from the slash/rally chassis including the proline Corvette.

    I've never used a delta plastiks but they sound like a similar mod.

    As for the rally chassis updates I dont think we can even fall it that. The original rally VXL is basically a full fat slash 4x4 vxl with on road parts.

    The newer rally xl5 brushed stuff is waterd down inferior parts with a nicer body WOW lol. Licensed ford fiesta but lose everything that makes the chassis great.

    Metal parts became plastic parts. Adjustable parts became non adjustable parts. Brushless vxl became old as brushed xl5.

    But at the end of it all they are the same thing you can swap any part from the original rally onto the newer one. You can upgrade a newer rally with standard rally vxl parts.

    Unless there's a v3 model I'm unaware of.

    Its the same story with the original stampedes vs the xl5 roller version or something. All parts are the same parts dimensions etc. Just inferior quality.

    Things like. Brushless to brushed. Metal centre drive shaft to plastic centre drive shaft. Adjustable metal links all round to fixed solid plastic links.

    Its not that many parts but the original is absolutely the best its shocking they down grade models as new models fit a licenced body and charge a higher MSRP/RRP. But that's none of my business lol. I'm just happy to own the og rally.
    Thanks

    The 6mm extension should be enough for me.
    Were your new tires narrower than the slash original. My original tires make the width 294 and the body is 310. This 14 is total, so 7mm per side. The tires I would get, would be an exact match. Then I was going to get the same 12-17mm adapter.

    This would leave me 1mm left of clearance. Is 1mm enough clearance? I was going to try to use stock wheels/tires, since still new, but they are 12mm, so I would need a 12mm extension of 5mm to use them. Not sure I can find that.
    Blue Traxxas Rally 1/10 4x4
    1st ever RC

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by RCB87 View Post
    Proline protoform Corvette C7.R short wheel base is what in trying to install so far so good it's not a perfect fit but I hope it will be by the end.

    I've got some revo sized GTR shocks which I'm fitting jato VG RACING springs on. I may need to add an extra bump stop into the shock bodies to lower it a little more I'm not sure yet.
    What was the reason for this. Are they shorter, stiffer?
    Blue Traxxas Rally 1/10 4x4
    1st ever RC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •