RC Racer

ESC options for 3906

I got an 3906 from a friend for free, but ESC is doesn't work. My plan is to get it to my kid who is 11. This would be a good beginner upgrade for him. He does have a 1/18 rc now.
    Planning on running NIMH batteries for now,( I don't trust him With Lipos yet) maybe lipos in future.
    I did find a Summit EVX-2 16.8v ESC on line that's $80. Maybe there's another option, a cheap brushless & ESC that won't burn up with a newbie behind the wheel.

Traxxas Marshal
    I'd stick with some version of the EVX and keep it brushed. The stock Titans provide plenty of power for this truck, especially for a younger driver driving heavy truck (compared to the 1/18th they have now).
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    I also have a 3906 E-Maxx that is all original. I needed new batteries so decided to go with two 2S 6500mah 75C lipos. It works with the lipos if I stay in low gear and really ease into the throttle. If I try to accelerate too fast or try to drive in high gear, it moves for just a second and stops. I'm guessing it's because the stock EVX esc can't handle the current surge and kicks out. I've found two escs that will work with the original twin brushed motors, a Traxxas EVX-2 for about $180 and a Hobbywing Quicrun 880 for under $40. The traxxas would be the simplest but any thoughts on the Hobbywing?

RC poster
    You may want to go with a Hobbywing combo or a Castle Creations combo. The Emaxx can run on a single motor. both manufacturers have entry level to pro. For Example you can go with a Monster 2 combo from Castle creations http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...ed-010-0108-03 . This is plenty. It is equivalent to the VXL-6s offering by Traxxas themselves. Most all ESC for Traxxas is made by castle anyways. I just did the same for an Emaxx brushless i am making from scratch for my kid.

RC Racer
    Does anyone know when or why traxxas stopped making th E-Maxx? Was it because of the Maxx?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAXXASAXXART View Post
    Does anyone know when or why traxxas stopped making th E-Maxx? Was it because of the Maxx?
    Don't quote me, but I think it was the end of 2017 maybe the begining of 2018. Maybe sales had dropped off not quite sure but I don't think it was because of the Maxx, JMO.

As for the OP I would stick with the EVX-2 or MM2, I run 1 each in the 2 we have.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertrucker View Post
    I also have a 3906 E-Maxx that is all original. I needed new batteries so decided to go with two 2S 6500mah 75C lipos. It works with the lipos if I stay in low gear and really ease into the throttle. If I try to accelerate too fast or try to drive in high gear, it moves for just a second and stops. I'm guessing it's because the stock EVX esc can't handle the current surge and kicks out. I've found two escs that will work with the original twin brushed motors, a Traxxas EVX-2 for about $180 and a Hobbywing Quicrun 880 for under $40. The traxxas would be the simplest but any thoughts on the Hobbywing?
    In the other 3906 we have, I run two 2s batteries with stock ESC and alarms. It runs very well, and is much faster. I don't have those problems as you described.

RC poster
    Forrest, what are the Lipo battery specs you are running with your 3906? I am about to upgrade to dual 2s packs after my Nimh batteries are wearing out due to age. I.E. Mah and C rating?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 3906Maxx View Post
    Forrest, what are the Lipo battery specs you are running with your 3906? I am about to upgrade to dual 2s packs after my Nimh batteries are wearing out due to age. I.E. Mah and C rating?
    I got SMC 7200's 90c The problem I found is that lipos don't fit without some mods. Stock battery compartments are square, the batteries are square, but you have to rotate the lipos to install them which hits the motor mount plate. I had to notch the plate. Also the battery hold down interfered some too. After the mods the lipos are a little hard to install and remove, but it's much faster and can run for a hour. Watch your temps. My advise is to measure to battery compartment and buy batteries that are smaller, side to side, front to back. I have seen some lipos that look like the stock Nimh sticks, but have lower C rating and mah.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    I got SMC 7200's 90c The problem I found is that lipos don't fit without some mods. Stock battery compartments are square, the batteries are square, but you have to rotate the lipos to install them which hits the motor mount plate. I had to notch the plate. Also the battery hold down interfered some too. After the mods the lipos are a little hard to install and remove, but it's much faster and can run for a hour. Watch your temps. My advise is to measure to battery compartment and buy batteries that are smaller, side to side, front to back. I have seen some lipos that look like the stock Nimh sticks, but have lower C rating and mah.
    Did you stick with the stock battery hold downs (did they require modifications)? Or did you go some other route like velcro straps?
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Used the stock hold downs. Had to space them up a little. Also minimal grinding around the swivel point on the hold downs.

RC Qualifier
    You can go see my tread in the brushless forum! I mod my 3906 max to extreme
    3906 CC 1717 / MMM GA 7075 UE Khead LST2 DIFF