RC poster

Recommendation for fire extinguisher just in case

I'm new to RC cars and have a new Slash and bought a 3rd party SMC 2S lipo and have a Traxxas one and I just want to get a fire extinguisher just in case. Would one of these work for putting out a lipo fire https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-1...2&sr=8-2&th=1?

If not, can someone please recommend a different one?

Thanks.

RC Racer
    You should get a lipo safe bag or I've heard of other people using ammo boxes. I'm new to lipo as well!

RC Racer
    I don't know anything about fire extinguishers, sorry.

Choose an extinguisher that’ll put out the flammable materials around the charging station, an extinguisher will struggle to put out a lipo fire. The flames can shoot out 10 feet easily.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

A lithium-ion polymer battery, commonly known as LiPo, have a UN number of 3480. Reviewing the Emergency Response Guidebook (2016 edition) states:
    • ...batteries contain flammable liquid electrolyte that may vent, ignite and produce sparks when subjected to high temperatures (>150C (302F)), when damage or abused (e.g., mechanical damage or electrical overcharging.
    • May burn rapidly with flare-burning effect.
    • May ignite other batteries in close proximity.
    Fire Response
    Small Fire
    • Dry chemical, CO2, water spray or regular foam.

Large Fire
    • Water spray, fog or regular foam.
    • Move containers from fire area if you can do it without risk
    Given the location of the fire it may be best to let it burn itself out. But if it is close to other flammable materials then seriously consider moving it to a non-flammable location. LiPo fires can and do happen accidentally, but the stories you mainly hear or watch videos on are due to being abused and/or damaged. Think ahead about the steps you would take if you were to have a fire, create muscle memory and don't panic. Use due caution and care for the battery and you'll be okay.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by TRAXXASAXXART View Post
    You should get a lipo safe bag or I've heard of other people using ammo boxes. I'm new to lipo as well!
    Im not sure which fire extinguisher would be best but I keep my batteries in an ammo can when not in use. Ive never had an issue but it gives me peace of mind
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    I've heard that lipos can burn underwater, then water wouldn't be able to help, right??? Is it true?

Then use a bag of sand.
    The Super Derecho

Lithium is a very reactive substance, mainly because it only has 1 valence electron. Since oxygen is only two electrons short of having a full valence shell, it accepts electrons (basically takes electrons from other atoms). Both atoms want to have full valence shells, so lithium has to lose one electron, and oxygen has to gain two electrons. In the case of lithium and oxygen, they form an ionic bond (lithium-alkali metal, oxygen-nonmetal), forming lithium oxide, and releasing a tremendous amount of energy (which is red flames). A similar reaction occurs with water and lithium, which results in lithium hydroxide.

You don’t really need to know all of it, but sometimes it is good to know. The best way to prevent a lipo fire is by leaving the batteries in a lipo bag when you are not using it and leaving it on an inflammable surface. If a fire does start, there really is no way of stopping it unless there is no oxygen (hydrogen, or nitrogen) to react with. So putting sand on it would work if it is completely covered. The simplest thing is to move it to a non-flammable place, and let it burn itself out.

With all that said, LiPos are only dangerous when it is damaged. If you charge and discharge it correctly, and make sure there is also no physical damage, I would say don’t worry about it. All the horror stories of houses burning down are caused by mistreated LiPos.

RC poster
    Heres my 2c from a firefighters POV. Any ABC extinguisher will work however it generates quite a mess. For a Lipo battery fire a CO2 extinguisher would be your best bet. Itll handle a lipo fire and you wont have to worry about the powdered mess ABC extinguishers cause. Use a lipo bag or ammo can to provide a container that'll slow it down should a battery catch on fire. I've been to quite a few fires started by improper battery charging/care.