RC poster

3s vs 4s learner mode

First post and first blast on the Maxx today, I planned to run 3s, it came with 4s and Iíve got to be honest, on learner mode it has all the power I could want.

This might change in time, as Iím comparing it to my summit.

Question is, whatís the thoughts on long term 4s learner mode? I wanted something fun, good run time and not twisting shafts everyday hence my wanting to avoid 4s.

My 3s is coming next week and I assume that will be better than 4s learner but still keep it on the safe reliable side?

Also, if itís on learner, how do you detect low voltage?

Thanks

RC poster
    I have used training mode on both my 1/16 Summit and Maxx to learn how they operate. I did it more so because both were my first time ever buying/using an RC car so I wanted to familiarize myself to how they handle. Love that feature when letting someone else try my Maxx to help safe guard any dumb accidents :-)

That being said, I don't think it will take you long before you start driving it primarily with training mode NOT ON, it is just too much fun to not utilize that standard power. I dont think you will have any issues running it primarily on training mode, if anything will help prevent your stock parts from crapping out.

I have x2 3cell 8400mah and x1 4cell 5000mah both traxxas batteries and I primarily used my 3C 8400mah. I have only used the 4cell twice and it is very apparent this vehicle can go nuts with the right battery and motor. My 3C 8400 run time is great so that has been my happy zone for now :-)

Check out "TpParts RcXtreme's MAXX" thread he has tons of videos using his maxx with upgraded everything on a 6S battery; PURE NUTS :-) CrazyXMaxx may have better feedback since they are more frequent Maxx/RC contributors.

RC poster
    Forgot to address your last part about the low voltage mode with training mode on, if you read the manual you will find this information, or skip and just read #4:

--- Copy/paste:
    Selecting a Throttle Mode: SPORT, RACE, or TRAINING
    1.Connect a fully charged battery pack to the VXL-4s and turn on your transmitter.
    2. Press and hold the EZ-Set button until the LED turns solid green, then solid red and then begins blinking red. It will blink once, then twice, then three times, then repeat.One blink = Sport Mode is the default setting. It allows full forward and reverse throttle.Two blinks = Race Mode removes reverse throttle in case your track does not allow it.Three blinks = Training Mode will slow the model down by 50% to make it easier for new drivers to control the model.
    3. Release the EZ-Set button after the number of blinks for the mode you wish to select. Note: If you missed the mode you wanted, keep the EZ-Set button pressed down and the blink cycle will repeat.
    4. The LED will blink and then turn solid green (Low-Voltage Detection ACTIVE). The model is ready to drive in the mode you have selected.
    --- end

Basically, when you set the "throttle mode" to "training" it will blink and turn solid green, indicating low voltage mode. Any throttle mode you set it to should blink green, then turn solid green which means LVM is activated if I have it correct.

RC Champion
    Throttle output can be adjusted in the garage- on Traxxas app

Power drop (lvc) may not be Noticeable while running on training mode
    Model will stop at lowest voltage cutoff setting
    fabricator

RC poster
    Yeah I couldn’t tell as it still done wheelies after voltage drop, though I was just getting better but apparently not. Good shout on the app, got the blue tooth link and wide max coming.

It’s great on 4s just want not push its limits, I’ve got a summit 1/8 and had summit 1/16 and both went through esc.

Cheers

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ennui View Post
    I have used training mode on both my 1/16 Summit and Maxx to learn how they operate. I did it more so because both were my first time ever buying/using an RC car so I wanted to familiarize myself to how they handle. Love that feature when letting someone else try my Maxx to help safe guard any dumb accidents :-)

That being said, I don't think it will take you long before you start driving it primarily with training mode NOT ON, it is just too much fun to not utilize that standard power. I dont think you will have any issues running it primarily on training mode, if anything will help prevent your stock parts from crapping out.

I have x2 3cell 8400mah and x1 4cell 5000mah both traxxas batteries and I primarily used my 3C 8400mah. I have only used the 4cell twice and it is very apparent this vehicle can go nuts with the right battery and motor. My 3C 8400 run time is great so that has been my happy zone for now :-)

Check out "TpParts RcXtreme's MAXX" thread he has tons of videos using his maxx with upgraded everything on a 6S battery; PURE NUTS :-) CrazyXMaxx may have better feedback since they are more frequent Maxx/RC contributors.
    Whats your average run time on 3s and 4s battery packs?
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir