RC Enthusiast

First run on my new Rustler 4x4 VXL and ......

OK so got my 3s lipo battery today and got it connected and was so eager to run the car. Had it running up and down my block on the road and was slipping everywhere cause of the wet roads. Then pulled it in my drive way at full speed and tried to break and turn but the car drifted and went right into my garbage can cause of the wet roads. It didn't hit it too hard but it broke the rear stub axle... Kinda ****ed, was looking forward to have some run time this weekend

Anyway i just ordered the aluminum replacement along with other aluminum parts listed below:

- Traxxas Shock Caps 3767A
    - Traxxas Steering Blocks 6837X
    - Traxxas Rear Stub Axle 1952X
    - Traxxas Caster Block 6832X

Since i am updating all these parts i thought the drive shafts should also be updated but the traxxas constant velocity drive shafts are alot more than other manufacturers. Are there any recommendations for alternatives to the traxxas steel versions? or should i just get the traxxas ones?

RC Enthusiast
    There are a few different brands you can use MIP and Tekno drive shafts. The Tekno uses 6mm stub axles and it also comes with the rear axle carrier to use the drive shafts but they are plastic. Our stock axle carriers and the ones you ordered only accommodates the stock 5mm stub axles. I don’t know as much about the MIP but the x duty which is rated for 3s cost just as much as Traxxas CVD and they are heavy. I don’t know how heavy they are but I wasn’t interested enough to look. But those are the other two brands other than Traxxas that is recommended.

What I recommend is doing an X-01 conversion to your rustler.

Traxxas Caster Block Alum P#6832X
    Traxxas Rear Axle Carrier P#6455
    Traxxas Steering Block P#6439
    Traxxas Front CVD P#6451 x 2
    Traxxas Rear CVD P#6452 x 2
    Traxxas Bearing P#5117 x 3
    Traxxas Hex Wheel Adapter P#6839

Shop them on Jennys RC they can be had for half the price of what you buy them new.

RC Enthusiast

Already purchased what I listed above so rather not do the XO-1

If it breaks again this easily Iím buying a maxx

This way I have a car ready to run while the other is in the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconX View Post

If it breaks again this easily Iím buying a maxx
    Then pulled it in my drive way at full speed and tried to break and turn but the car drifted and went right into my garbage can cause of the wet roads.
    Iím not sure I know of any brand of rc cars that can survive 3s runs into garbage cans at full speed, not even my tekno et48.3s can do that for too long.

RC Enthusiast
    Already purchased what I listed above so rather not do the XO-1

If it breaks again this easily I’m buying a maxx

This way I have a car ready to run while the other is in the shop

Well go with the Traxxas CVD P#6851R and 6852R. I bought a stampede for the same reason you are thinking of buying a Maxx. I put those CVD’s on my stampede when I broke one of the rear driveshafts on that too and I like them just don’t over tighten whee nuts.

RC poster
    FalconX I feel your pain. On my third run with my rustler 4x4 vxl I hit a curb and broke a rear driveshaft, a-arm, and severely bent one of the front shocks. Needless to say I wasn’t pleased. I always planned to upgrade to GTR shocks for easier adjustability and this just gave me the excuse. But like you I also put on aluminum axle carriers, steering and caster blocks as well as CVD driveshafts. The CVD shafts were purely an impulsive purchase which also gave me a bad case buyers remorse. I should have explored all my options first, but it’s done. I don’t bash the heck out of my cars as a normal activity so I’m hoping I don’t have durability issues. Minus the shocks I did exactly what you did so I can let you know how it goes. Gonna take it out this weekend.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

I was reading reviews and people posted that the Traxxas CVD is garbage and better to stay with the plastic and just replace as necessary

Or get the MIP Drive shafts. Anyone have info on these?

RC Enthusiast
    I just slammed into a curb at about 50 to miss a car didnít break the CVDís but I did break a drag link and front A arm. So I like them and that was the non X0-1 CVD.

If you want part numbers for the MIP these are the X-Duty CVD I have seen many recommend.

Front MIP18150
    Rear MIP18140

RC Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by RustyRustler90 View Post
    I just slammed into a curb at about 50 to miss a car didnít break the CVDís but I did break a drag link and front A arm. So I like them and that was the non X0-1 CVD.

If you want part numbers for the MIP these are the X-Duty CVD I have seen many recommend.

Front MIP18150
    Rear MIP18140
    Thanks man I think Iím going to get the MIPís and just install everything in while Iím adding the other parts

Deciding on either getting the Maxx or XMaxx for 2nd car

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks man I think I’m going to get the MIP’s and just install everything in while I’m adding the other parts

Deciding on either getting the Maxx or XMaxx for 2nd car
    I got a stampede as a second and as much as I like it I would love an xmaxx.. the Maxx is nice but for the size (which isnt much bigger than a stampede) I would get a stampede because at least the parts are interchangeable on the stampede with the rustler... there are a lot of proprietary parts for the Maxx.

RC Enthusiast

Got my replacement aluminum parts . Have you noticed the aluminum parts are not exact copies of the plastic parts?

Axle carriers look very similar to oem but the caster and steering blocks (front parts) look slightly different . The holes look like they match up.

Can anyone that has installed the Traxxas aluminum parts be able to share some pics?

RC Racer
    The guy at RCDriver did a video series of a bunch of updates to the Rustler 4x4.
    Here is the 'playlist': https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...US7GUKkETJf1RD

Here is the video where he updates the steering and caster blocks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgNp...index=3&t=365s

Good Luck and Have Fun --BillJ

RC Enthusiast
    got the rustler up and running again was doing some minor jumps and the shock caps popped off, didn;t break but lost the shock oil

A few questions for you guys if you don't mind....

1. Does the aluminum caps part number 3767A fit on top of the GTR Blue Shocks (part# 7461 & 7462)?

2. Whats the difference between 7461/7462 and 7461X/7462X? Is it just the color or actual differences in material/ durability?

3. After installing the aluminum rear axle carriers, i noticed the rear wheels seem to be turned slightly inwards if your looking at the car from top view. Is there an adjustment i can make to straighten the wheel out?

appreciate the feedback guys

RC Racer
    Falcon:
    The first two questions you could have answered yourself simply by looking up the PNs on the Traxxas site (follow the Parts and Accessories link at the top of the home-page). Once there put the PNs you have questions about into the search box and read the descriptions. The third question is a bit trickier, and I only found the answer by going to the owners manual for the Slash ultimate (a vehicle that comes 'out of the box' with the aluminum rear axle carriers).

1) Correct, 3767A only fits the Ultra shocks (NOT the GTRs). While the caps on the GTR shocks are plastic, folks seem to have good luck with them staying on (since they are threaded on to Al bodies, not plastic-on-plastic as with the Ultra shocks).

2) Difference seems to be just color. All are PTFE coated bodies, and have Ti-N coated shock shafts.

3) The Stock (plastic) rear axle carrier when combined with the stock rear-bulkhead and stock rear A-arms results in a rear toe-in of 2.5 degrees. When switching to the Aluminum rear carriers (which are marked with a R and L), when placed on the 'as marked' side of the vehicle will result in a 4 degree toe-in (a 1.5 degree 'increase' of toe). If, however, you were to place the Aluminum rear carriers on the 'not-as-marked' side of the vehicle (placing the R carrier on the Left side of the vehicle), you would decrease the amount of toe-in (as compared to stock) by 1.5 degrees, yielding approx 1 degree of toe-in (2.5 stock minus the 1.5 from having the aluminum bits placed 'on the wrong side' equals 1).
    I found most of this on the toe-in section of the Owners Manual for the Slash Ultimate (that comes stock with the Al parts). Page 23: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R04.pdf . You can find the manual for any current Traxxas vehicle by clicking the 'support' link on the Traxxas home-page, then clicking the 'Owners Manuals' link, and finally selecting the model that you want to look at the owners manual of.

Good Luck, and Have Fun! --BillJ

RC Enthusiast
    Fully installed all the aluminum parts I bought, need better shocks but got the ramp built, sand and paint time

RC Enthusiast
    That’s a nice ramp I wish I had space to build and store something like that

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I was reading reviews and people posted that the Traxxas CVD is garbage and better to stay with the plastic and just replace as necessary

Or get the MIP Drive shafts. Anyone have info on these?

Been running the MIP's on my stampede 4x4 for 3 years. 2 years on 2S, 1 year on 3S. They have yet to falter. The only issue I had was setting up the crush spacer on the rear axles properly as the hex doesn't attach to the shaft with a pin, the axle has flat spots on it that the hex keys to. If you don't have the crush spacing setup right, when you tighten the axle nut, it slides the hex into the bearings and they bind/get crushed. Once you sort it out, it's a "set it and forget it" thing.

I've since put hot racing axle carriers on it and hot racing 12mm->17mm wheel hub extension/adapters.

The only other thing is checking the set screws on the MIP's that hold them onto the diff outputs. They like to come loose.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Enthusiast
    Fully installed all the aluminum parts I bought, need better shocks but got the ramp built, sand and paint time

Do u have build info, or "plans", at LEAST measurements of the ramp? Materials and tools used? Please? That looks perfect! As i have built ramps before, but i am an automotive technician, NOT a Carpenter, and it shows. Would love to know how you designed and built your ramp on the pic above!

Ive got a slightly upgraded rusty 4x4 vxl that ive SENT on huge 3-4' dirt piles in a construction area near home, with no issues other than the usual caster/hub screw pins backing out EVERY run (3s), and the skatepark cement is hard on parts..suspension, steering, tires, cooling fans! The fans i have do NOT like the chassis slap of the rusty from 10ft up, flat-landing on cement...especially rapidly/repeatedly in any 1 full pack run. -Need to work up a better mount system for both my motor fan, and TRX Velenion ESC fan. But i digress.

My Rusty has VGRacing HD progressive springs, shock mount positions changed for more lift (yes, in know the increased A-arms angles create strain, blah blah)

The springs are much stiffer than the stock white springs, & help a lot for big jumps/landings, but the truck ALWAYS. SLAPS. And i am NOT a Fan...anyone know how to minimize the slap? As i understand, SOME is okay, but, dislodging various fans, mounts, rod ends, etc?!?!
    Gotta be a better/thicker shock oil weight?, Or shock piston valve-ing change??

Sorry y'all. I tend to rant as you fellas are the only folks who give a **** about the hobby, my wife maybe, barely accepts it, and hardly listens, despite being greatly involved/learning from my rants of working on junk 1:1 wholesale cars every day. ****.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    here is a you-tube link that shows a how one guy went about making some RC Car ramps:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng7dKJMXYOU&t=510s
    Good Luck, and have fun! --BillJ