RC Competitor

Mini Servo voltage question

hi, i'm looking at getting a TRX-4 Bronco. i have a slash 4x4 already and really want to do something new.

After reading a lot i know that the stock servo needs to be upgraded, so I'm looing at the Savox 1210 and running it at 7.6V. i have a Castle Mamba X i can put in there that can easily keep up with it. but, i'm worried about the mini servos that are also run off of the receiver.

Can the receiver only deliver 6.0 volts to these mini servos that run the locking diffs, while also delivering 7.4V that need to go to the turning servo?

thought?

Thanks!

Short answer no.the micros will not take 7.4v for very long,nor will the rx.
    You could use a separate bec to power just the steering at 7.4 and just pull signal from the rx to the steering servo

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Yes, i think you are correct, i suppose that is the easiest and most favorable way. i just don't want to wire up a BEC, i suck at soldering and i can see me ruining the entire battery connection from my poor soldering skills.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyal View Post
    Yes, i think you are correct, i suppose that is the easiest and most favorable way. i just don't want to wire up a BEC, i suck at soldering and i can see me ruining the entire battery connection from my poor soldering skills.
    My solution to make it easier to move if needed.

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    one further question...it all of the videos of adding a BEC, they have me disconnect the 6.0V lead from the ESC coming into the receiver and getting the power for the receiver from the BEC...which i am going to have at 7.4V. i only want the 7.4V to go to the servo...that is the whole point of this...so....how to i ensure the volts are only applied to the Servo, while the rest of the receiver continues to get 6.0V?

thanks!

RC Competitor
    ok, imay have found a solution...a holmes bypass...what do you think?

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyal View Post
    ok, imay have found a solution...a holmes bypass...what do you think?

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html
    Yes I'm cheap and made my own,but yes that is plug and play

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    ok, so it looks like after all of these thoughts and discussion, i have a plan. Here itis:

1) Wait for a sale and get either the Bronco/blazer/G500 - i saw G500's for $399...i love the look of the Defender, but it needs modification and it's too heavy
    2) run as stock a little bit
    3) I have a Mamba X just waiting there, install it and get telemetry for battery voltage, and temp
    4) Get Savox 1210 servo and run it at 6V still a huge upgrade compared to stock. If i want to, i'll upgrade to 7.4V, and install the BEC with the bypass - thank you to those who have responded...this is a big part of my plan
    5) Motor upgrade - possibly put in the Axe system if i can afford it...if not, grab a Castle Slate to marry to the Mamba X, but the motors are hardly available anymore
    6) Transmitter/RX upgrade - maybe get a the GT5? not sure, but if i do this, i'll also update my slash to the same system and just have one transmitter.

#5 and #6 may never happen, but we will see. you might say...get a Gen8 Axe......it's not a great trail runner as compared to the TRX4...plus the TRX4 is supposed to be super reliable, durable, etc...plus...it looks better ))))

Please add your thoughts and recommendations...never got a trail/rock crawler before.

thanks!

Check out holmes motors they are exellent makes a killer servo too but never in stock

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    I replaced the stock servo on my Defender with a Savox 1210 and found that it would regularly experience brownout when punching the gas. Some folks reckon you can overcome this using a glitch buster, but I opted for the Castle BEC and Holmes bypass adapter. Really easy to wire up, and works very well, no crazy electrical engineering skills needed for this setup. Only downside is that this setup bypassed the on/off switch of the ESC so as soon as the battery is connected, you're essentially giving power to the servo (so I pretty much have to unplug the battery once I'm done running). No a biggie, there are workarounds but they get more complicated. I can recommend this setup if you're wanting to run with this servo.

RC Competitor
    thanks for sharing your experience!!! It looks like my plan will success once i get the Bronco....though i do not htink i will face brownouts since i'll use the Castle Mamba X as the ESC ))))

It's a good habit to unplug to shut off.
    I have made that mistake once.
    Ruined a lipo.

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried