RC Enthusiast

Unhappy T-Maxx Classic- Front Differential Carrier Stripped?

Hi,

For the past few weeks I’ve noticed that my T-Maxx seems stuck in RWD. Checked that my axles spun and found that when holding my front wheels I could still spin the shaft going into the diff, but I couldn’t do the same to the rear. I opened up my diff today and found this:

Based on research, somehow the diff carrier screw holes have stripped?!

This YouTube video shows a normal diff carrier:

Any idea how this happened? I haven’t seen any forums about this. I’ve only seen stripped gears. Also, what parts should I order? I looked on the traxxas website and the only thing I can buy is #4981. I’m also considering upgrading the diff, so if you have any recommendations that would be great.

Thanks!
    Len

RC Qualifier
    I’ve never seen an RC diff strip like that. Sure I’ve seen the ring gear strip but not the case crews on the carrier like that.

RC Enthusiast

Question

Iím really confused as well. This is the first time Iíve had the differential fail, so Iím not really sure where to go from here. Could anyone walk me through what I should do next? I know I need to replace the carrier, but Iíve also read that the gear may look fine but is actually stripped. Iíve also heard about adding shims to it, but I have no idea what this does.

Thanks!

Looks like the screws backed out. To see if the ring gear or pinion are stripped look at them and see if any teeth are messed up. If not clean it up and see if the screws will tighten up when they are put back in. If they can, rebuild diff. If the plastic holes are stripped where you cannot tighten the screws you need to get a new diff cup assembly part#/4981 or find a complete diff from a chop shop.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Looks like the screws backed out. To see if the ring gear or pinion are stripped look at them and see if any teeth are messed up. If not clean it up and see if the screws will tighten up when they are put back in. If they can, rebuild diff. If the plastic holes are stripped where you cannot tighten the screws you need to get a new diff cup assembly part#/4981 or find a complete diff from a chop shop.
    The plastic holes are completely gone so I will probably order #4981. Since I have to do this, are there any better aftermarket or other traxxas differentials I can get instead of fixing this one? I’ve looked around but most forums are about the 3.3. If I rebuild this one with 4981, should I be shimming it? I keep seeing this on forums but have no idea what it does. Also, what kind of grease should I use? I have white lithium grease on hand but I’m not sure if that is okay to put in.

Thanks,
    Len
    Last edited by len- tmaxx 2.5; 04-26-2020 at 01:04 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Ended up getting a diff from a chop shop. Truck is running great now. Thanks!