RC poster

Just ordered UDR, need to order batteries. What do you recommend?

So Iím upgrading from my old 3906 E Maxx. Bought my sons (4 and 8) a pair of Latrax Tetonís as I feel those will be good starter RC cars and went ahead and bought myself a Desert Racer in White/Orange. Canít wait to receive it!

My question is what aftermarket batteries and charger are good? I want 2s Lipo to build my experience level up. Is going with the TRAXXAS branded electronics a better idea?

I know NOTHING about current battery technology so please help me out. I want to order something so I can have some fun when I receive my toy

RC poster
    Was thinking maybe the traxxas 6700 4s single battery?

RC Racer
    Get a gens ace hardcase 4s 50c lipo. You just have to solder on a traxxas plug but it fits great. 4s is plenty of power for it, personally I think running 6 is too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by slash2018 View Post
    Get a gens ace hardcase 4s 50c lipo. You just have to solder on a traxxas plug but it fits great. 4s is plenty of power for it, personally I think running 6 is too much.

What’s a good charger for that battery?

RC Racer

Cant remember what I paid for it but it charges nimh, lipo, life and will even charge your 12v battery. If you want a charger that can charge 2 at the same time venom has one for around $100

The important thing you have to figure out when picking batteries/chargers, is how much work do you want to put into it? Do you want lots of control over the charging cycle, or do you just want to charge them as easy as possible?

If you want to do some work and have lots of control over charging, go with aftermarket batteries/chargers. You will have to do cutting and soldering of plugs on your vehicles to match the batteries and will likely have to use some adapters with the chargers. I believe changing the plug on a traxxas vehicle voids the 30 day warranty, if that is important to you. But an aftermarket charger will let you have more control and information over the charging of the batteries.

If you want simple, plug and play, go with traxxas batteries and chargers. The traxxas chargers donít give you quite as much information or control, but they are literally plug and play. Plug the battery in, the charger automatically recognizes and sets itself up for the battery, and all you have to do is press start. No programming, cutting/soldering, or adapters needed. The ďLiveĒ versions of the ez peak chargers do give you some information and options as far as charging, such as monitoring cell voltages and picking charge rates, estimated time remaining etc.

There are advantages/disadvantages to both so us telling you whatís best may not be whatís best for you. Basically decide if you want advanced options and control, or simplicity, and make your choice from there. Personally, I went with simple, and I have all traxxas batteries and an ez peak live dual charger, and Iíve been completely happy with them. Keep in mind Traxxas also lifetime warranties their batteries and chargers, not for full cost, but if one ever goes bad, theyíll discount a new one usually between 50-75% off. Iím sure aftermarket companies have some kind of warranty as well, Iím just not as familiar with them.
    Last edited by justin13703; 04-26-2020 at 08:41 PM.

I use two 2s 5800 mah lipo from Traxxas (they are pretty decent, but the pricing is a bit high, I also use them with my 2 TRX-4s and 4 Tec 2.0). If you get a battery with another type of connecter, it's not really easy to change the battery plug. Also, just like Justin said, it is really based on what you want.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CumminsUDR View Post
    Was thinking maybe the traxxas 6700 4s single battery?
    That's probably a great choice. The UDR's battery compartment is pretty finicky, so as long as that battery fits the tray, it'll work great.

I use Common Sense RC 4S LiPO batteries in 5200mah, hard cases. They work and fit the battery tray nicely, but I wish they had a slightly longer runtime.

RC Enthusiast
    I went with the Traxxas 6700 mAh 4S. It's plenty fast with that battery and it's super easy to charge with the Live Dual charger.