RC poster

Can NiMH batteries be used in a UDR instead of lipos

So I just purchased a new traxxas UDR and my Lipos won’t wine in for a week. Could I use NiMH in the mean time or is that not possible for a vehicle like this? Any issues doing this other than the truck being slow?

Don't do that... It's definitely worth the wait for the right batteries. Lipo and NiMH batteries are completely different chemical compounds, and the ESC is only designed for the use of lipo batteries. With that said, it may damage your ESC if you use NiMH batteries instead of Lipo.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Don't do that... It's definitely worth the wait for the right batteries. Lipo and NiMH batteries are completely different chemical compounds, and the ESC is only designed for the use of lipo batteries. With that said, it may damage your ESC if you use NiMH batteries instead of Lipo.
    Got it, thanks. Will wait for the proper Lipos!

I mean you could use them. No reason you can't, unless the ESC doesn't allow non-cutoff operation. (I'm not familiar with that particular esc)

But there's no harm done in testing the vehicle out with them. It should literally drive around and work. Maybe not fast, but it will work. Plus, that way you can make sure the vehicle works as expected, and you could report any warranty issues immediately.

Traxxas only offers 30 day guarantee on traxaxs electronics, from the day of purchase. use that period. At least test the truck out IMO.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    ...the ESC is only designed for the use of lipo batteries. With that said, it may damage your ESC if you use NiMH batteries instead of Lipo.
    Not True! Here are the specs of the VXL-6s:

You would need to turn off LVC to use NiMh.

Hmm, that is interesting. I did not know that, I thought it was only Lipo compatible since only Lipo batteries were listed for the UDR on the Traxxas Website.
    Thanks for pointing that out, appreciate it! : )

The ESC doesn't care. Voltage is voltage whether from a LiPo or NiMh or AA batteries. It's the amount of voltage that matters.

NiMh just is not practical for the high power needs of these bigger RC's.

RC poster
    Ok so I received 1 3s lipo in the mail today. Could I test it with a single 3s? I have the little jumper cable to complete the circuit. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by CumminsUDR View Post
    Could I test it with a single 3s?
    Specs on the ESC say 4-6s lipo, so I'm gonna say nah, it probably won't work. It would probably turn on but likely give you an error code, or some other oddity.

-Mike

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    Specs on the ESC say 4-6s lipo, so I'm gonna say nah, it probably won't work. It would probably turn on but likely give you an error code, or some other oddity.

-Mike
    Ok thank you...I guess by these posts it proves how incredibly anxious I am to play with my UDR.

Covid-19, I can’t even just go somewhere to buy a battery.

*Traxxas has a strict language policy. Please refrain from using such language.
    Last edited by Double G; 04-29-2020 at 08:45 AM.