RC poster

Heatsink/fan combo effectiveness

Im looking to get a heat sink fan combo for my motor and just wondering how effective they actually are? I have a fan on my ESC and am looking to get something for my motor. Has anyone actually attempted to get temps with and without the heat sink installed? Thanks.

Any input on how effective these heat sinks are is appreciated!

RC Racer
    I am very happy with the performance of my Integy dual fan heatsink, I can safely touch my motor after bashing on 3s + stock gearing(I am a bit careful with the throttle), but quality isn't that good: after running in the dust, it spins a lot slower/stops. You can get better things for the same price (hobbywing, yeah racing), and I regret my purchase a bit, I should've done more research.

RC Racer
    A nice before and after:
    before: running on 2s: it got wayy to hot, shut down a couple of times
    after: safe to touch for at least 10 secs on 2s using an overtray (limits airflow a lot), same being careful on the throttle without overtray, but on 3s

coolers are worth it, in my opinion. I'd rather spend 20-30€ in a good cooler (not integy) that you can put on anything with a diameter of 36mm than at least 60-100 on a new motor

sorry about not having specific temps, but I hope this helps.

RC poster
    Yes this helps a ton! I figured it would drop temps reasonably considering since I put one on my ESC I haven’t gone in thermal shut down. The “Yeah racing” heat sinks look pretty good.

Yeah racing fans are some of the best but can be pretty loud if that even matters.

RC poster
    Definitely worth it. I have the hot racing esc and motor coolers. I uses to thermal shutdown every pack (3s), now I don't even get to stage 1 thermal slowdown. Especially when you race packs back to back with no break.

RC Racer
    It can still get very hot during 3s speedruns and jumping.

RC Racer
    My guy at my LHS says fans are a bad idea on your motor because they reduce the temperature on the outside more then inside the motor where the heat comes from, thereby confining all the heat to a smaller part of the motor and you get a false reading when taking the temp from the outside.

RC Racer
    Unless there's insulation that's false. Heat will transfer out of the motor to the cooler outside casing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I would not trust your hobby store guy. Even though the fan is only cooling the outside, the heat continues to move that way, therefore eliminating heat on the inside.

If you have a fever, they don't tell you to eat ice, they put ice on parts of the body where the blood flow is high. It's the same as the radiator on your car.

RC Racer
    I have the integy double fan and I can say, while it does keep my motor cool on 3s, the heatsink is good quality, but the fans themselves have much to be desired. I have been looking at the castle single fan with heatsink, but I hear the Yeah racing one is good too.

RC Racer
    Hobbywing also makes a fan+heatsink. Is that good?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    I am very happy with the performance of my Integy dual fan heatsink, I can safely touch my motor after bashing on 3s + stock gearing(I am a bit careful with the throttle), but quality isn't that good: after running in the dust, it spins a lot slower/stops. You can get better things for the same price (hobbywing, yeah racing), and I regret my purchase a bit, I should've done more research.
    I 2nd this for sure. I also had the integy fan and heatsink for my vxl3s system and it keeps it cool enough that you can touch it with your knuckle if you want. On stock gearing. But my integy fan already broke after like 3 runs.. So if you could find a better quality fan for the motor id go for it. And as for the esc fan, i use the traxxas one and it works great. Moves a lot of air. And as for temps, i dont have a gun yet. But it has to be at least 20 to 30 degrees fahrenheit.

Edit: I took the fan off the heatsink and that even helped a lot too. With just the heatsink on the motor. Why they make the heatsink black, I wont ever know.

I believe gold foil dissipates heat very well. They're aluminum which does fine, but black attracts heat.
    Last edited by Calebs0615; 07-18-2020 at 08:48 AM.

RC Racer
    I found this info on another thread, but I don't know how to quote from another thread.

safe to touch 10-20 sec --> 60 C
    safe to touch 2-5 sec --> 70 C
    'safe' to touch <0.5 sec --> 80 C
    not safe to touch --> >90 C

take off 10 for children

This isn't as accurate as a temp gun, but I think it is usefull if you don't want to spend the money.

Thats awesome. Thank you.

60c is 140f
    70c is 158f
    80c is 176f
    90c is 194f

Just for reference

And walmart has one for a grill but i havent been able to catch it in stock. Its like 20$.

(C 9/5) + 32 = F
    Thats the formula for how to convert. From C to F.

I've found that the most useful solution is generally a large heatsink.

Fans are environment dependent. At something like a track, where the worst debris you will encounter is fine dust or dirt, fans are great. In an open outdoor environment, with things like grass, weeds, leaves, small sticks, etc, a fan can get jammed up quickly.

You can get chassis shrouds / covers to protect from the debris, but they also trap heat inside, easily canceling out any benefit from the heatsink and/or fan.

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    I've found that the most useful solution is generally a large heatsink.

Fans are environment dependent. At something like a track, where the worst debris you will encounter is fine dust or dirt, fans are great. In an open outdoor environment, with things like grass, weeds, leaves, small sticks, etc, a fan can get jammed up quickly.

You can get chassis shrouds / covers to protect from the debris, but they also trap heat inside, easily canceling out any benefit from the heatsink and/or fan.
    I have also found this to be very true. I have stopped using my over-tray unless planning for snow or water. And only have a fan on some of my ESC. I honestly hate relying on them. A nice big fat heat sink is enough if you are geared correctly.

RC Racer
    What ‘big heatsink’ do you advice? Hobbywing makes a big heatsink+fan combo, and that has a big heatsink

The Yeah Racing fans on Intgy heatsink is an excellent combination. Kept the stock two pole Velineon motor system cool until I upgraded to the El Sob special 2.0

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

What ‘big heatsink’ do you advice? Hobbywing makes a big heatsink+fan combo, and that has a big heatsink
    Sorry I don't have a suggested list for heatsinks. I just goto ebay and roll the dice or browse my LHS and make sure they have fins going the way the air flow will be plus as much mass as reasonably possible. There is rarely a large difference in the latter.

RC Racer
    Does anybody think of trying a mesh over the fan s?

RC Racer
    The integy heatsink comes with a grille over the fans. That seems to stop a lot of wet stuff, but dry grass still gets stuck in the fans, though they don’t stop the fans

RC Racer
    No , i mean a custon one that holds on to the fan by the 4 screws that keep the fan stay in place s

Something like a drywall repair thing or a net with a medium fine mesh

The metal mesh s?
    Last edited by LargeCar1999; 07-18-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Yeah the integy fans are trash. Doesnt move much air and also dies very easily. You'd be better off buying the integy single fan and heatsink setup and then changing out the fan for a better one.. If you feel like you need a fan. If your geared right a heatsink should be plenty.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I have this setup. The heat sink and fan are HUGE. I had to do some trimming on the heat sink because it is too big to fit around the motor wires etc... but this thing is huge and keeps things much cooler than my old Hot Racing heat sink / fan I was using.

RC Racer
    Tnx for that info!

RC Racer
    If you are worried about junk getting into your fan motors, get a chassis shroud. I grabbed an outerwears one when it was on sale and it has kept all kinds of junk out of if that would have definitely clogged up my fans.

RC Racer
    But don't get an overtray. They work, and keep out wet grass/sand, but not dust, adn they trap A LOT of heat