RC poster

removing glued tires from rims

Hi! I just got new tires because my old tires have no more tread. I want to remove the old tires from the wheels, but I don't know how. There are so many different answers. Some seem a bit over the top, and some seem like they would melt the rim and the tire. I tried hair drying, but I could only get a bit of the bead to break loose. Does anyone have a good way to do it that doesn't involve some crazy weird chemicals that don't take days to break down?

Last edited by zedorda; 04-29-2020 at 04:44 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Boiling works, so does “gassing” them off in acetone. The secret with the acetone method is use a sealed container ( like old Tupperware or an ice cream / deli bucket with a sealed lid. Put a spacer in the bottom so the wheels don’t actually touch the acetone and seal it up overnight. The fumes break down the glue but don’t harm the wheel. Just keep a spacer in that keeps your wheel from actually touching the level of the acetone .

RC poster
    Ok! I'll try both. I'll try boiling first, but if that doesn't work, I'll go get some Acetone from ace hardware or something.

I have a question. Would boiling them fill them up with water then when I go to remove them, wouldn't the water spray everywhere? Or is that not right.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-10-2020 at 02:55 AM. Reason: merge

I would try the Acetone method. Why take the chance of burning yourself.

RC poster
    I don't have any acetone, but would a mineral spirit paint thinner work?

RC Competitor
    Bake them for 300 degrees for 10 minutes. It's on YouTube also.

Buy new wheels and tires...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Buy new wheels and tires...
    I was thinking something like that the other day when I was cleaning and re-lubing my $1/each bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah... I would also say buy new wheels and tires. Tires cost the most, and the wheels only a fraction more. If you reuse the old rim, it does not stick as well as a new one to the tire, so the tires may come off the rims easier. Doing the things above may also warp the wheel shape (but it doesn't if you do it right and with extreme caution). If you don't really mind, do it and see what happens. ... Or if you want to keep the same wheels for a really long time (and take the wheels on and off without much effort), you can get a new set of beadlocks.

RC Racer
    I've tried boiling, a heat gun and the acetone method.
    Acentone works best for me, but it takes some time.

RC poster
    I was going to get new wheels and tires but I thought it would be a waste because my rims are barely damaged or worn down.
    I think I'll do acetone or boiling.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashyboi View Post
    Would boiling them fill them up with water then when I go to remove them, wouldn't the water spray everywhere? Or is that not right.
    You have to be very careful when boiling tires for that reason. The tire foams will soak up the boiling water. That being said, boiling is my preferred method. After boiling, I run my tires under cold water in the sink for a while, and usually remove the tires while running them under cold water as well. Just exercise caution and be careful.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

First off, acetone is flammable. I had some Axial KR2s (needed for my Traxxas Bomber) that I needed to dismount from the OEM rims, glued on. I used a 5" round stainless bowl, with 1/4" deep of acetone in it. Placed the tires directly into the acetone. It took about 8 minutes per bead (flipping the tire over to soak), but with a little wiggling off they came, foams bone dry. As soon as they were off, they went right onto my RC4WD aluminum sc beadlocks, stretching onto the inner 3.0 bead like nobody's business. All said and done, if I were in your shoes, I'd go new rims and tires, the old ones probably look hammered anyhow, right?