RC Competitor

Rally 1st gen - Something is slipping when I push the full throttle

Hi, Today morning, I've noticed a bit much noise but couldn't find the reason when I disassembled before run. I made a trip with my RC but for some reason, something is slipping when I press the full throttle. I've disassembled it and checked diffs but they seem good to me (btw I will rebuild them in the future but they are pretty good), I've checked motor, pinion and slipper clutch, I've readjusted slipper clutch to 1/8 but still have the same problem. Car runs well and still fast as it should but, speeding isn't so well. When I rolled it with 15-20% throttle, then floored the throttle car isn't speeding fastly (it takes few seconds than usual), it makes a weird noise (in my opinion which is coming from slipper) in first secs of speeding up.

Rally 1st gen (which is in Orange)
    The motor is stock Velineon 3500 and Esc is VXL-3S, they are pretty good so far.
    It's been nearly 3 years since I bought it.

Here is an audio link of sound- https://sndup.net/8ycm/trimE3A0E980-...D509EA62BE.mp3
    PLEASE LOWER VOLUME BEFORE YOU LISTEN (%10 IS GOOD)

Here is a photo of slipper- https://imgur.com/rVWeHE5

RC Qualifier
    Is the cross pin that secures the shaft to the slipper base plate still there? Maybe itís just inside the slot but I donít see it at all.

Itís never bad to get new slippers, the new rustler 4x4 vxl slipper clutch assembly with the metal pads will drop right in. The squeal does sound like toasted slipper disc and glazed pads. Can you take it apart and show us the disc and pad surfaces?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Is the cross pin that secures the shaft to the slipper base plate still there? Maybe itís just inside the slot but I donít see it at all.

Itís never bad to get new slippers, the new rustler 4x4 vxl slipper clutch assembly with the metal pads will drop right in. The squeal does sound like toasted slipper disc and glazed pads. Can you take it apart and show us the disc and pad surfaces?
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, a pin is right there, as it should. I would like to do that but unfortunately, Iím not able to unscrew the shaft connection bit. You know, centre driveshaft connects to clutch with a toothed bit, that part has blue thread lock in it from factory and itís nearly impossible to remove. Can you advise me something to remove it?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkee View Post
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, a pin is right there, as it should. I would like to do that but unfortunately, I’m not able to unscrew the shaft connection bit. You know, centre driveshaft connects to clutch with a toothed bit, that part has blue thread lock in it from factory and it’s nearly impossible to remove. Can you advise me something to remove it?
    If you are talking about the grub screw, you need a quality hex wrench to loosen it. The factory hex wrenches are....not great. You may be able to exert more leverage with a thin metal tube that slips over the wrench but with a cheap wrench you risk stripping the screw. :/
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 04-30-2020 at 02:56 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Is the cross pin that secures the shaft to the slipper base plate still there? Maybe it’s just inside the slot but I don’t see it at all.

It’s never bad to get new slippers, the new rustler 4x4 vxl slipper clutch assembly with the metal pads will drop right in. The squeal does sound like toasted slipper disc and glazed pads. Can you take it apart and show us the disc and pad surfaces?
    Hello again, after a long time, I managed to get the pads out. I struggled very much with main screw but I losened slipper adjuster bolt and managed to get the pinnout and took everything apart. I can clearly say pads aren’t best I’ve seen but doesn’t look bad too. Disc seems fine too for me but can you please take a look at them? Pads still has ~2.1mm https://ibb.co/ZJ56Gnb

Thanks.
    Last edited by Berkee; 08-22-2020 at 03:42 PM.