Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    independence, KY
    Posts
    39

    receiver/servo issue

    I need some confirmation on what I think the issue is.
    Transmitter is a 6529A. Receiver is a 6533

    A little background: My son was going to convert his Revo 3.3 to electric, took it apart as need. Didn't work out as he expected so decided to put it back together as a nitro.

    I get it all together and get the receiver battery charged and turn on the tx and the truck. Receiver light is solid red as is the optidrive indicator light. Attempt to rebind the tx and rx. Took a few but figure out solid red on rx is a fail-safe mode. After some research I remove the optidrive. Receiver light still solid red. I have another receiver (not enough channels for the Revo) but enough that I can test power and servos 1 at a time. They work fine with extra rx. I purchase a brand new rx, make sure all batteries are charged (rx) and good not rechargeable (tx). Get all reconnected, and power on. I also tried with the optidrive back in, solid red light on the rx. I remove the optidrive again and the rx/tx bind.

    I try the electronics out - throttle/brake, steering, fwd/reverse. Everything works only in one direction. Steering will only turn left, throttle/brake will only brake, and fwd/reverse doesn't do anything.

    I made sure the tx was set on 50/50, opened the app and set all the channels to the default setting. The tx and rx did the firmware updates. No change on what the servos do. You can hear the servos, except fwd/reverse make a sound when trying the opposite direction just no movement.

    I have a different tx and bind it to the receiver, same outcome. The steering servos only turn left, throttle/brake only brake, and fwd/reverse does nothing.

    I get my Revo 3.3 and bind his tx to my truck and everything works fine.

    I have a couple extra servos that test fine in my truck so I pull all but the power and plug the servos into the receiver one at a time. One servo does what's expected in each channel. The other servo does whats expected in the steering channels (I tried both steering channels just to make sure) and the throttle/brake channel, the fwd/reverse works one way and only once. Turning the truck off and back on allows that servo to work one way once more.

    I pug his servos into my truck, one at a time, and test each one in the channels and every time they do what is expected. I did this test with both txs as well.

    One other test I did was I have a non Traxxas tx/rx and plugged in 3 of the 4 servos and all worked fine, the 4th servo worked fine as well.

    My theory is the new rx is bad as well.

    Sorry for the long post. I just need validation I guess...

    Thanks for any input

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier nebulous.cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seattle by summer, AZ by Winter
    Posts
    362
    Very strange behavior... I have had zero issues binding with my TQi radio to TQi and standard TQ receivers. I would say check for updates. My new Revo 3.3 came with the TQi tx and rx, and I have been driving it, and after a couple days it got an update. I had to update the transmitter, receiver, and "TSM subsystem" all separately through the app, and funny thing too, the lights were all red during this process. It took a few minutes and then resumed normal working operation.

    I have no idea if running mismatched firmware on receivers and transmitters would create binding issues, I would think it shouldn't, but Im pretty sure you have to be bound before you can update.

    I would take the receivers entirely out of the truck, and just have the receiver and RX battery, and bind them on the bench to the radio, and then attempt any updates.

    Lastly, if all else fails, check the wires for all the servos on the problematic revo. A shorted or grounded signal wire to only one servo can make them all get messed up with signals. Check to make sure none of the servo wires are pinched, folded, crushed, missing insulation, and that all the plugs are good too. Plug in one servo at a time to the bound and turned on receiver, and if you plug in one specific one that causes issues, you know where your issue is. I don't think the Optidrive would cause binding issues, but test it separately as well. I have had no issues with mine and reverse so far about half a gallon in.

    Hope this helps.
    -Mike

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    independence, KY
    Posts
    39
    Thanks for the input.

    I didn't know that any bare wires could cause issues across re board. I'll definitely check for that. I hadn't noticed any prior, but wasn't looking for it specifically.

    Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    2,441
    Quote Originally Posted by srider72 View Post
    ...My theory is the new rx is bad as well.

    Sorry for the long post. I just need validation I guess...
    It's possible a new Rx is bad. If you install your good Rx into your sons Revo and everything works. I would say the Rx is bad.

    Also remember when installing servo horns, you need to center the servos before installing them. If not it could make the servo be at its limit in one direction and only be able to turn in the other.

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    independence, KY
    Posts
    39
    I purchased a new receiver and all works fine. I'll warranty the bad new one,

    Thanks for the input.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •