RC poster

Stampede 4x4 Good For All-Around Use?

I've got a Slash 4x4, but it really doesn't mix well with grass and I haven't had it out in years, I'd like to get something I can run on the open grass lot I own, also has some dirt and rocks on it right now. Would the Stampede 4x4 be a good choice? I don't think I need the VXL.

Any input is appreciated. I guess durability is a bit of concern too as I know my son will want to play with it, he's young though, it would only be supervised play for him one in a while and mine the rest.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by y2jdmbdfan View Post
    I've got a Slash 4x4, but it really doesn't mix well with grass and I haven't had it out in years, I'd like to get something I can run on the open grass lot I own, also has some dirt and rocks on it right now. Would the Stampede 4x4 be a good choice? I don't think I need the VXL.

Any input is appreciated. I guess durability is a bit of concern too as I know my son will want to play with it, he's young though, it would only be supervised play for him one in a while and mine the rest.
    I have the brushed Stampede 4x4 and it is a blast. If you don't need the blistering speed of the much more expensive brushless than it is a great choice. Really any Traxxas basher will be great regarding durability for the most part. The 4x4 Rustler would do well too but may need the brushless power to power through the grass as I believe its tires are more along the size of the Slash. My brushed Stampede doesn't have any problem with my lawn or the local ball field outfield. It really depends on how deep the grass gets on your lot. if it's mowed than the stock brushed truck is good but I would go lipo right away. And get a good charger. Get the truck that does not come with batt and charger and save that money for a good lipo and charger. The stock nicd batts might do OK. Mine did but the lipo is all around a better battery.

If your lot does not get mowed often and the grass gets pretty high then you may need to consider the VXL.

Its just based on my own experience. I love my Stampede.
    Others here more experienced with Traxxas products may be better able to advise and hopefully some will chime in if I'm off base.

Hope that helps.

Jimmy
    Stampede 4x4 XL5
    Slash 2wd XL5 (2)

In short grass, the stampede does fine. Why not just get some 2.8" wheels/tires, stampede body mounts and throw a truck body on it? I recently extended my stampede by using a slash chassis. I wanted it to be a bit easier to control in the air. It's night and day better now.

I'm using one of those ebay Russian indestructible bodies at the moment. After heating up the sides and bowing them out just a hair, it's a nice fit. If only I hadn't screwed up and put the body holes too far forward... I made new holes and moved it because it looked dumb, so the extra holes are a reminder to measure twice, cut once. lol!

https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Enthusiast
    Olds97 has a great point. A common mod for Slashes in general is just making them a Monster Slash. Especially if you have the 4x4. Big meats on there, you can also get the adjustable body mount kit that allows you to raise the body. A little snip snip of the wheel wells and they look awesome.
    Just search “Monster Slash” on You Tune and there’s a bunch of vids from folks and hobby shops including Amain and also Traxxas Support.
    Here’s a couple links ... hope they help. I have 2 Slashes, both 2wd for kids. One will go LCG and suspension for track duty and the other will be a Monster Slash for all out bashing.
    https://youtu.be/03eEc3DWuBo
    Traxxas vid: https://youtu.be/xXiYjoHBESU
    Amain vid: https://youtu.be/u1ZfABACzjE

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJFlyer View Post
    I have the brushed Stampede 4x4 and it is a blast. If you don't need the blistering speed of the much more expensive brushless than it is a great choice. Really any Traxxas basher will be great regarding durability for the most part. The 4x4 Rustler would do well too but may need the brushless power to power through the grass as I believe its tires are more along the size of the Slash. My brushed Stampede doesn't have any problem with my lawn or the local ball field outfield. It really depends on how deep the grass gets on your lot. if it's mowed than the stock brushed truck is good but I would go lipo right away. And get a good charger. Get the truck that does not come with batt and charger and save that money for a good lipo and charger. The stock nicd batts might do OK. Mine did but the lipo is all around a better battery.

If your lot does not get mowed often and the grass gets pretty high then you may need to consider the VXL.

Its just based on my own experience. I love my Stampede.
    Others here more experienced with Traxxas products may be better able to advise and hopefully some will chime in if I'm off base.

Hope that helps.

Jimmy
    Stampede 4x4 XL5
    Slash 2wd XL5 (2)
    The Rustler 4x4 does not have short course like tires. It comes with Talon EXT 2.8 tires, and they are more like a low profile monster truck tire. I find they are pretty nice tires. Heres a link for the Talon EXT 2.8 tires.

https://jennysrc.com/products/rustle...18950965395510

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJFlyer View Post
    Olds97 has a great point. A common mod for Slashes in general is just making them a Monster Slash. Especially if you have the 4x4. Big meats on there, you can also get the adjustable body mount kit that allows you to raise the body. A little snip snip of the wheel wells and they look awesome.
    Just search “Monster Slash” on You Tune and there’s a bunch of vids from folks and hobby shops including Amain and also Traxxas Support.
    Here’s a couple links ... hope they help. I have 2 Slashes, both 2wd for kids. One will go LCG and suspension for track duty and the other will be a Monster Slash for all out bashing.
    https://youtu.be/03eEc3DWuBo
    Traxxas vid: https://youtu.be/xXiYjoHBESU
    Amain vid: https://youtu.be/u1ZfABACzjE
    Thanks for the help. If I decide to go with a Stampede VXL, I am going to get it without the battery. Should I just go LiPo right away? I'm guessing 2S would be a better starting point? Any reason not to get the Traxxas LiPo charger?

RC Racer
    You should go Lipo and yes, 2S is a good starting point.

I don't use Traxxas batteries, they are quite expensive. I use other brands, another brand of charger, and use XT-90 connectors.
    So I can't comment on that.

I have a Slash 4x4 and and Stampede 4x4 (both brushless - HW Max10 3200KV motor - 2S).
    The Stampede is more like a crazy stunt car (much more wheelies, flipping over), the Slash is more docile, due to the longer wheelbase and the shorter tires.

If you go for the Stampede 4x4 VXL, the stock tires aren't great.

You should try out some good MT-tires on the Slash (just remember to gear down).
    It's really a good option.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    In short grass, the stampede does fine. Why not just get some 2.8" wheels/tires, stampede body mounts and throw a truck body on it? I recently extended my stampede by using a slash chassis. I wanted it to be a bit easier to control in the air. It's night and day better now.

I'm using one of those ebay Russian indestructible bodies at the moment. After heating up the sides and bowing them out just a hair, it's a nice fit. If only I hadn't screwed up and put the body holes too far forward... I made new holes and moved it because it looked dumb, so the extra holes are a reminder to measure twice, cut once. lol!

I've put small stickers over the holes before on SCT bodies that i've switched from one brand chassis to another. Easy to remove and it keeps the dirt and water out.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I've put small stickers over the holes before on SCT bodies that i've switched from one brand chassis to another. Easy to remove and it keeps the dirt and water out.

Don’t SC trucks have a lot more to worry about than the holes for body mounts when it comes to dirt and such? The whole open chassis is one giant pan that collects everything the tires throw up toward the body.

RC Qualifier
    I like the stampede 4x4 a lot as is. It does standing backflips on 2s for me (on brushless), and with a quick swap of an xl5 esc and the titan 21t motor it is a capable trail truck too. Most of it is in the tires but the short wheelbase has its short comings but strengths too.

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post

If your talking about the ones in the body, I may repurpose them for body clip retainer cables mounted from underneath like I have on the front of my outcast. On it, I use the holes the posts go through, but it's a nuisance. On the rear of that truck, I have the holder bolted from the top, but having it on the underside of the body keeps the cables less likely to snag on stuff when it's sliding across the ground on it's roof.

RC poster

Question where did you get that body?!!

hey man curious as to where you got that body for the pede? and also do you know of where i can get a roll cage for the stampede? i have blown through the original body as this is y first rc truck and i have it upgraded to the brushless engine.

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx0889 View Post
    hey man curious as to where you got that body for the pede? and also do you know of where i can get a roll cage for the stampede? i have blown through the original body as this is y first rc truck and i have it upgraded to the brushless engine.
    Probody RC:
    http://probodyrc.ru/index.php?route=...product_id=108
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unbreakable...e/202631043931

RC Raven has a cage, but it likely adds a lot of high CG weight which will make it even more tippy. I found that just spending a few $ on a 3/4" piece of box tubing and making something to support the roof of the body really helps the life of the body.

My first one was an aluminum one I made out of the cheap stuff you can get at menards/lowes, just like this delrin one I tried making:

The delrin one didn't last long, pretty sure heating it to bend it made it brittle and it cracked within the first couple roof landings. I went back to the aluminum one that's just like it. But I got tired of working around it, so I used 3/4" square aluminum tubing and mounted it tower to tower, then stacked more box tubing up near the middle and a piece of foam on top that the body rested on:

I also added a little plate to mount my go pro to it for POV video footage. Looks retarded, but worked well. The foam on the front/rear of the bar gave the bed and hood of the body something to rest on as well.

Now that I've changed the chassis to the slash and installed the probodyrc body, I snapped off my body mounts during my first pack. Not sure what I'm going to do about that, but I did put a T2T brace back on it to limit chassis flex. The slash chassis flexes a lot and I think that was attributing to the body mounts breaking off. The probodyrc body is relatively rigid, so when the chassis would flex on a big jump, or lawn dart landing, the body didn't, which sheered off the body post nubs.

I haven't put anything on the center of it to support the roof yet, but the bed of the body touches it with minimal flex, so will see how it does:

I took it out to run it yesterday, but busted an MIP X-Duty shaft 5 minutes into my run, so I didn't get much time with the new T2T in it to see if it helped. I also installed some old larger body mounts I had on hand which are twice the diameter of the stock ones.

RC poster
    I'm pretty new to Traxxas stuff, so take this with a grain of salt.
    I started off with a 3s battery. It was fun going really fast and breaking axles at first, but it got boring. I started thinking about getting a crawler. I will probably still do that, but I found a good combination that keeps the 'Pede fun for me.
    I got a couple 2s batteries. I don't need to do constant speed runs.
    I switched to the 70/30 mode on the transmitter. The extra throttle control made all the difference. I can't creep over things like a crawler can, and locking diffs would be cool, but I did find new challenges once I switched to the 70/30. The 50/50 setting seems like an on/off switch in comparison.

Probody RC:
    http://probodyrc.ru/index.php?route=...product_id=108
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unbreakable...e/202631043931

I took it out to run it yesterday, but busted an MIP X-Duty shaft 5 minutes into my run, so I didn't get much time with the new T2T in it to see if it helped. I also installed some old larger body mounts I had on hand which are twice the diameter of the stock ones.
    What part of your X Duty shaft broke? Just a guess, but was it the pin in the CV joint?
    The MIP shafts have been invaluable. They probably saved me from getting frustrated enough to give up on this thing. Since I got the X Duty shafts, I've spent more time running my truck than fixing it.
    I don't mind fixing it. I enjoy it, but with the Covid thing I have to wait a week for parts and being an "essential" worker, I don't have much free time.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-18-2020 at 02:08 AM. Reason: merge & language abuse

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheZombie View Post
    I'm pretty new to Traxxas stuff, so take this with a grain of salt.
    I started off with a 3s battery. It was fun going really fast and breaking axles at first, but it got boring. I started thinking about getting a crawler. I will probably still do that, but I found a good combination that keeps the 'Pede fun as **** for me.
    I got a couple 2s batteries. I don't need to do constant speed runs.
    I switched to the 70/30 mode on the transmitter. The extra throttle control made all the difference. I can't creep over things like a crawler can, and locking diffs would be cool, but I did find new challenges once I switched to the 70/30. The 50/50 setting seems like an on/off switch in comparison.
    +1 for 70/30 throttle control, that's the only way I run.

I'm just getting back into the hobby with 3S and it's tons of fun. I think what's "fun" is more about your driving style.

From Traxxas I've got:
    • Stampede 4x4 VXL
    • Rustler 4x4 MMX
    • Stamped 2WD VXL
    • 4-Tec VXL Ford GT
    • X-Maxx 8S
    • TRX-4 Sport
    • Teton

My favorite is the Stampede 4x4, second favorite is the Rustler 4x4, they're both great all arounders but the Stampede is better off road. My Stampede 2WD is my backup basher, I upgraded it like a tank and it's super simple to work on, I've had it for over 10 years now. My TRX-4 Sport would be awesome to take on trails, but I still haven't taken it out yet, I mostly bash in parking lots or in the park so I'd have to go out of my way to find a rock crawling trail. My X-Maxx is mostly a shelf queen, it's too big and too much of a commitment to take out and bash with. Ford GT is purely for smooth surfaces only, even cracks in the sidewalk will send it flying. Teton is tiny and annoying to work on, and the screws strip too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by TheZombie View Post
    What part of your X Duty shaft broke? Just a guess, but was it the pin in the CV joint?
    The MIP shafts have been invaluable. They probably saved me from getting frustrated enough to give up on this thing. Since I got the X Duty shafts, I've spent more time running my truck than fixing it.
    I don't mind fixing it. I enjoy it, but with the Covid thing I have to wait a week for parts and being an "essential" worker, I don't have much free time.
    Nope, the bell end on the male part of the shaft:

Then in my haste, I ordered the wrong part and got the female end. I ordered the part while sitting in my car to get it shipped as soon as I could... then when I got home, saw the email on my PC with the image from ebay, I realized my mistake and had to order the male end as well. What was odd is that MIP changed them since I bought mine, they now have a 42mm and 54mm male end. Mine is 45mm. I was afraid the 42MM would be prone to popping out and I found a 45mm one like mine on ebay.

Maybe the 42mm would be fine... but since I found the 45mm, I went with it anyway.

RC poster
    That's a bummer. I wonder if heat played a part in that breaking. Do you lube them often? I haven't done mine in a while, so that's gonna happen before my next run.

I put a drop or two of wax based chain lube on the slider and joint after every bash, then spin the drive train to work it around.

It's been 3 years since I installed them. I landed badly on one front tire and with RPM arms, I'm guessing it was just at the wrong angle and bent too far, then split the cup.