RC Racer

New to Lipo, please help!

I am pretty new to traxxas forums, and I just ordered a couple 5200 mah, 80 c lipos and I have a couple questions. I have never run lipos before, and they haven't come yet. Here are my questions:

I watched a youtube video and it said that I need to have the battery charging in "storage mode". I don't think my onyx 235 charger can do this. Do they have to be in storage mode?

When I get the battery can I charge them right away, or do I have to discharge them first? I ordered a balancing board for my charger.

I also ordered a fireproof storage box/bag thing from amazon. Will this actually be safer? Any advice?

Will the lipos hold the charge the first charge, or will it take a couple charges?

Any help is appreciated. Sorry if these questions have already been answered. Any other lipo tips are awesome, I'm a lipo noob. I already know I will also need to make sure that low voltage detection is on, on my vxl 3s. These are the questions I have right now, might have more later. I'm exited for a little lipo power!

RC Racer
    Any advice from my fellow RC lovers would be amazing!!!

1. "Storage mode" is the battery being stored at 3.8v/cell. You should have a charger that will charge lipos and anytime you are putting them away you'll need to chose "Storage" on your charger and wait until they are done. The lipos should already come around 3.8v/cell which is storage charge.
    2. No, you don't need to discharge and then recharge. You can recharge (always chose "balance" charge) from the storage voltage to full charge of 4.2v/cell.
    3. Any videos you see with lipo batteries going into thermal runaway usually have sustained damage. Balance charge, store at storage voltage, set your ESC to lipo battery and if you can set cut-off at 3.5v/cell (you cannot change Traxxas ESC's and their cut-off is around 3.3 or 3.2v) do so and stop running when you see a significant drop in performance.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Thanks for the tips! I don't think my charger has storage mode, there is a link to a non traxxas forum that someone said that it doesn't attached below. Do I need a new charger? Is there a way to do it without storage mode? If I do does anyone know any good chargers with storage mode that arn't too expensive? I have two lipos coming so are there any double chargers with storage mode? I heard somewhere that you can leave the cells charged at like 40%, does this work? I don't want to do anything dangerous. Again thanks for any help!http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbi...5-charger.html

RC Racer
    Also, with storage mode does that mean your charger has to be on around the clock? Will this decrease charger life time?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAXXASAXXART View Post
    Also, with storage mode does that mean your charger has to be on around the clock? Will this decrease charger life time?
    No, storage mode charges to a “storage “ voltage and then shuts off instead of shutting off at nominal voltage .
    It’s not a steady state trickle charge like I think you are picturing .
    So usually storage voltage is 3.85v/cell and full charge is about 4.2v/cell.
    So for a 2s lipo pack ( usuallly rated as 7.4v ) storage charge is about 7.7v and a Full charge would be 8.4v.
    If your charger has storage mode it switch off at 7.7v ( for a 2 cell ) instead of 8.4v

RC Racer
    Thank you so much for helping me, I am really glad a started this thread! That makes a lot more sense! I checked and the lipos are 7.4 volts. My charger doesn't have storage mode, but could I program a programmable spot on my charger to get my battery to storage voltage? Would that work?

RC Qualifier
    Thank you so much for helping me, I am really glad a started this thread! That makes a lot more sense! I checked and the lipos are 7.4 volts. My charger doesn't have storage mode, but could I program a programmable spot on my charger to get my battery to storage voltage? Would that work?
    That would work, or if you have a volt meter or a lipo tester you can stop it manuallly part way through and test where they are at.
    And yes, if your lipo says 7.4, it is a 2s and will be 8.4 fully charged.

RC Racer
    Okay, I think I'll add an extra charging slot in my charger to gt my lipos to storage mode (7.7 volts). So the charger will increase or decrease the battery to get to the 7.7 volts? What should I put in my charger for the mah (my batteries have 5200 mah)? Also, after I use the batteries, how long can I safely wait before having to charge the batteries back to storage voltage? I am exited for the lipos because with nimh, when I took my rustler vxl off a big jump, I would almost never land on my wheels because the front end would dip down, but sense lipos are lighter, they could help with this. How will I know if my battery is swollen/puffed, and what should I do with them? Sorry about all the questions and if the answers are obvious, I'm a noob!

RC Racer
    How long do lipos generally last? Long term not run time.

RC Racer
    I need urgent help!!!!! My Receiver and transmitter will be connected for a second or two, but then the receiver light will blink really fast and the transmitter will blink really slow! I have tried everything I've found on the internet, but nothing works I know this thread was for lipo, but I need help! Please help! What should I do? Anything else I can try? This is with a nimh pack and the lights are both red. Please help! I really need it!

Remind transmitter to reciever.

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Racer
    I tried to rebind the transmitter and receiver using the set and link button, but it didn't work and went back to the receiver light flashing really fast. Thanks for pointing that out, I forgot to add that to my last post. Any other ideas? Also looking for awnsers from my earlier lipo questions.

Dead batteries in the transmitter? Change out the AA.

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Racer
    Okay, I'll try that. Any answers for the lipo questions?

RC Racer
    It worked, I should have checked that before. Does anyone know where I can buy some body clips for my 1/16 e revo, the ones for my rustler are too big. It is an old e revo, old remote takes 8 batteries and can't run lipos. Probbally at least ten years old!!!

RC Racer
    I think I'll add an extra charging slot in my charger to gt my lipos to storage mode (7.7 volts). So the charger will increase or decrease the battery to get to the 7.7 volts? What should I put in my charger for the mah (my batteries have 5200 mah) for the storage voltage slot? Also, after I use the batteries, how long can I safely wait before having to charge the batteries back to storage voltage?

RC Racer
    Okay, sorry about all of the questions. I have all but three of them cleared up.
    How long after charging a lipo is it safe to wait before driving? I want to stay safe.
    How long after I use my lipo do I have before I need to storage charge it?

Any advice helps! I found a charger sitting around any thankfully it has storage charge. Also my lipos came in the mail!

RC Qualifier
    Okay, sorry about all of the questions. I have all but three of them cleared up.
    How long after charging a lipo is it safe to wait before driving? I want to stay safe.
    How long after I use my lipo do I have before I need to storage charge it?

Any advice helps! I found a charger sitting around any thankfully it has storage charge. Also my lipos came in the mail!
    You can use a lipo right after charging. Sometimes if you wait more than a day or so after charging, it is still Safe to use, but you may get better performance if you rip off right before you use it.
    In terms of how long before putting in storage mode . There I have read a lot of different opinions, but most sources agree you should not let a battery stay fully charged longer than about a day

RC Racer
    Thank you so much everyone for helping, i don't know what I would do without you!!! I took out a voltmeter and checked my lipo one has both cell at 3.86 per cell and the other has one cell at 3.80 and the other one at 3.81, does the 0.01 make a difference? They both seem like they are at storage safe level.
    If a full lipo cell is 4.2 volts, why is a 2s lipo labeled at 7.4 volts?
    Also at how many amps should I be charging them at?

One of my charger can only go up to 5 amps, will this work for my 5,200 mah 2s lipo?
    Last edited by Double G; 05-11-2020 at 07:11 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    One of my charger can only go up to 5 amps, will this work for my 5,200 mah 2s lipo?
    My charger goes to a max of 6 amps and my newest 2s lipo are 6200mah. It’s seems fine to me.
    It just means you’ll be charging at a little less than 1c rate, no harm in that .

RC Racer
    My imax b6, won't let me, it says "Charging voltage error" it is fine, I can use my other charger for balance charging. My imax b6 charger will also for some reason only do storage charge at 1 amp..... why? It can charge at 4 amps. When I storage charge at 1 amp, it also says charging voltage error, and same for 0.9, right now it is charging at 0.8 amps, which will be pretty slow. Does any have any suggestions that might help? Should I get a new charger? If I do please have link to one that isn't to pricey, but can do storage charge and can do up to 5.2 amp charging. I am really sorry about all the questions, I just want to do it right.

Thank you so much everyone for helping, i don't know what I would do without you!!! I took out a voltmeter and checked my lipo one has both cell at 3.86 per cell and the other has one cell at 3.80 and the other one at 3.81, does the 0.01 make a difference? They both seem like they are at storage safe level.
    If a full lipo cell is 4.2 volts, why is a 2s lipo labeled at 7.4 volts?
    Also at how many amps should I be charging them at?

3.7 is the nominal voltage of the cell.

Take a look at the battery and it will tell you the max amps or C rating it can be charged at. My 5000mah batteries can take up to 2C or 10 amps but I charge them at 5 amps (1C) or 7.5 amps (1.5C). I could charge them at 0.5C but it will take twice as long as 1C. No issues charging less than 1C other than you'll be sitting around a little longer waiting for them to get done.

My imax b6, won't let me, it says "Charging voltage error" it is fine, I can use my other charger for balance charging. My imax b6 charger will also for some reason only do storage charge at 1 amp..... why? It can charge at 4 amps. When I storage charge at 1 amp, it also says charging voltage error, and same for 0.9, right now it is charging at 0.8 amps, which will be pretty slow. Does any have any suggestions that might help? Should I get a new charger? If I do please have link to one that isn't to pricey, but can do storage charge and can do up to 5.2 amp charging. I am really sorry about all the questions, I just want to do it right.
    Sorry but Traxxas will not allow help/support for non-Traxxas products so you'll need to consult the manual and/or talk to the manufacturer of the imax.
    I don't have Traxxas chargers and run a Hitec x2 AC Plus 2 with a DC power input.
    Last edited by Double G; 05-11-2020 at 07:17 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Okay, thanks for your advice! I feel like I'm finally understanding now! This is unrelated to lipos, but I had an ancient bandit with a analog esc and heat sink and I put a xl-5 system in it and when I move the servo it stays there and doesn't move back to be straight. Does anyone know why this might be happening? Also when I tried to ajust the trim, it kind of went crazy and went all the way to the left. Thanks guys.