Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South West PA
    Posts
    86

    Question EZ peak dual question

    Just a quick question, I'm new to Lipo. I have the EZ peak dual charger. When you put the batteries in storage mode, does it balance the cells? Also, after you are done using the batteries, I can connect them to the charger and only select storage mode correct?

  2. #2
    RC Champion Acidic01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    beaverton oregon
    Posts
    1,553
    Yes storage mode should balance them. And if empty pressing storage should only charge to storage voltage. If full and press storage it will slowly bleed off the charge untill at storage mode.

    I don't know this charger well but I would guess around 40w to 80w discharge. So would take a hour or more depending on size and what voltage it is at.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South West PA
    Posts
    86
    Thanks for the reply! I don't want to do something to shorten my battery life or cause a problem with something. The guide that came with the charger doesn't mention that. It's pretty basic.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier nebulous.cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seattle by summer, AZ by Winter
    Posts
    361
    Yes it should balance on storage mode, always. You're a smart guy for using storage mode! Props. I use it all the time no matter what, even if the battery will only sit overnight. That way, its half full, and takes half as long to charge next time too!

    And yeah it's easier to storage charge when the pack is dead or mostly discharged. It's easier and faster for your charger to charge up to storage than it is for it to discharge to storage. After all, it is a charger, lol.

    So storage charge the batteries after your last run for the day, when you get home, and you're good to go. If you have a cell checker harness that lets you check your cell voltages with the ID plug, use it, it will help you make sure your pack is healthy!

    -Mike

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South West PA
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    Yes it should balance on storage mode, always. You're a smart guy for using storage mode! Props. I use it all the time no matter what, even if the battery will only sit overnight. That way, its half full, and takes half as long to charge next time too!
    Thanks! I did a bunch of reading up and everything said to do storage mode to, well store them. lol.


    And yeah it's easier to storage charge when the pack is dead or mostly discharged. It's easier and faster for your charger to charge up to storage than it is for it to discharge to storage. After all, it is a charger, lol.
    Makes sense.

    So storage charge the batteries after your last run for the day, when you get home, and you're good to go. If you have a cell checker harness that lets you check your cell voltages with the ID plug, use it, it will help you make sure your pack is healthy!
    That's what I have been doing, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't want to be doing something wrong, and end up damaging a battery or something. I'll have to get a cell checker.

    I've also seen a lot of things that say LVC on the stock Traxxas ESC is set too low, any aftermarket items that will work with the ID plugs or however you need to hook them up? What is the recommended lowest voltage for a lipo? I am surprised, not that I think that anyone that have posted otherwise are wrong, that Traxxas is making a product that would let you over-discharge the batteries. But, remember I'm a total N00B at lipos! LOL

  6. #6
    RC Champion Acidic01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    beaverton oregon
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by wrencher11 View Post
    Thanks! I did a bunch of reading up and everything said to do storage mode to, well store them. lol.


    Makes sense.

    That's what I have been doing, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't want to be doing something wrong, and end up damaging a battery or something. I'll have to get a cell checker.

    I've also seen a lot of things that say LVC on the stock Traxxas ESC is set too low, any aftermarket items that will work with the ID plugs or however you need to hook them up? What is the recommended lowest voltage for a lipo? I am surprised, not that I think that anyone that have posted otherwise are wrong, that Traxxas is making a product that would let you over-discharge the batteries. But, remember I'm a total N00B at lipos! LOL
    Great thing about this form is sharing the knowedge off the hobby, and learning.

    Rcgroup forum airplane/ battery.chargers has tons of info on batteries, and chargers.

    Two things will kill your batteries, biggest is forgetting to unplug then from the car when done. 2nd not putting them into storage mode if not using for ~wk, and checking voltage ever once in a while if for long term storage.

    Lvc is about 3.53V on my trx cars / batteries at lvc stage 2. You can get more cycles out of a lipo by having a higher lvc. How much more eh to many variables for me. But once my car hits lvc stage 1 I tend to bring the car back in, check temps and put in a fresh battery. Lvc stage two is when esc v light bink rapidly and only steering works. No car movement.

    If you have a dmm that can check voltage. There is a adapter cable to go from trx id connector to 1st Gen trx connector with a Ballance port cable. You may find better cell voltage checkers with using this adapter. As most are made with balance ports in mind. But may be one that is out of the box compatible with trx id connector (My charger gives me voltage and resistance per cell)

    Enjoy the car, If you don't break something your not playing hard enough.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South West PA
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Great thing about this form is sharing the knowedge off the hobby, and learning.

    Rcgroup forum airplane/ battery.chargers has tons of info on batteries, and chargers.

    Two things will kill your batteries, biggest is forgetting to unplug then from the car when done. 2nd not putting them into storage mode if not using for ~wk, and checking voltage ever once in a while if for long term storage.

    Lvc is about 3.53V on my trx cars / batteries at lvc stage 2. You can get more cycles out of a lipo by having a higher lvc. How much more eh to many variables for me. But once my car hits lvc stage 1 I tend to bring the car back in, check temps and put in a fresh battery. Lvc stage two is when esc v light bink rapidly and only steering works. No car movement.

    If you have a dmm that can check voltage. There is a adapter cable to go from trx id connector to 1st Gen trx connector with a Ballance port cable. You may find better cell voltage checkers with using this adapter. As most are made with balance ports in mind. But may be one that is out of the box compatible with trx id connector (My charger gives me voltage and resistance per cell)

    Enjoy the car, If you don't break something your not playing hard enough.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Yes you are right, this forum is great! It has a wealth of knowledge already on it and if you can't find something all you have to do is ask. I have learned a lot from here.

    I will check out the rcgroup forums.

    Thanks for the tips and info! I am enjoying the car, haven't broke anything yet! LOL but when I do, hopefully its not a disaster! haha

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •