Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Bought a Traxxas 5000 mah 3 cell. Doesn't fit.

I wanted a 3 cell and ordered a Traxxas ID on ebay, found out it's at least 1/2 inch too long. What 3 cell Traxxas ID battery will fit my Rustler 4x4 vxl?

What part number? 2872x is what they list on their site.

https://m.traxxas.com/products/model...xl?t=batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post

I think you possibly have confuse the part number with another one, because the battery number 2872X has 155mm long and the maximum space allowed in the battery compartment is 138.5mm and even if we remove the foam we have only 145mm.

This is the battery spec. https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...ah-111v-3S-25C
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

Indeed you are correct! I wonder why traxxas has that battery listed on the page with the header: Rustler 4x4 VXL?

I noticed that if you scroll down in the actual battery page, you see itís not listed for the Rustler, but I know a lot of people have mistakenly purchased a too long battery for this truck. Iíve seen the posts over the last year or so.

Oh well, I donít use their batteries anyways and yeah, definitely measure your battery area before spending money. Thatís a bummer.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MECHANIC77 View Post
    I think you possibly have confuse the part number with another one, because the battery number 2872X has 155mm long and the maximum space allowed in the battery compartment is 138.5mm and even if we remove the foam we have only 145mm.

This is the battery spec. https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...ah-111v-3S-25C
    I think traxxas did done goofed on this one. I see a lot of batteries listed here that wouldnít fit.

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...xl?t=batteries

RC Qualifier

https://m.traxxas.com/products/model...xl?t=batteries

That's the same model I bought. It is pretty deceptive on the website. Stuck with a never used battery I guess.

Theyíll probably take it back. Iíve had nothing but great experiences on the phone with customer service.

RC Qualifier
    Looks like I need battery # 2849X - 4000 mah and it fits.

RC poster

The battery number you are wanting is 2832x. It is the 5000mah battery 3s lipo 25 c 11.1. I currently run it in my rustler 4x4 vxl and it fits great. Hope this helps. I made the same mistake you did. Ordered the longer 1.
    Last edited by Jldavis8689; 05-03-2020 at 05:40 AM.

Indeed you are correct! I wonder why traxxas has that battery listed on the page with the header: Rustler 4x4 VXL?

I noticed that if you scroll down in the actual battery page, you see it’s not listed for the Rustler, but I know a lot of people have mistakenly purchased a too long battery for this truck. I’ve seen the posts over the last year or so.

Oh well, I don’t use their batteries anyways and yeah, definitely measure your battery area before spending money. That’s a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I think traxxas did done goofed on this one. I see a lot of batteries listed here that wouldn’t fit.

Effectively it's somehow confusing to see the Rustler 4 by 4 to be highlighted on all that bunch of batteries, it calls our attention to something that suggests it will all fit for it. Now I can understand why too many people have bought the wrong pack by mistake. Anyhow I never understood the subtility of advertising and like many others I was thinking: I look, I want, I buy, but by now it will be: I look, I ask, then I buy.

Traxxas seem to forget that most of their customers were beginners at the beginning. (This is not a reproach but only an observation) But by scrolling down on some battery pages, we can see for which vehicle it's intended for.
    Last edited by MECHANIC77; 05-03-2020 at 11:54 AM.

RC poster
    I’ve made the same mistake, I just ordered a 3s not thinking there were different sizes, now I have the shorter one and one redundant longer one!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dblbogey View Post
    I wanted a 3 cell and ordered a Traxxas ID on ebay, found out it's at least 1/2 inch too long. What 3 cell Traxxas ID battery will fit my Rustler 4x4 vxl?
    I had the same problem. Spoke to customer service and had me send battery back so they could swap it for the correct run. Was told that this model has running changes.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jldavis8689 View Post
    The battery number you are wanting is 2832x. It is the 5000mah battery 3s lipo 25 c 11.1. I currently run it in my rustler 4x4 vxl and it fits great. Hope this helps. I made the same mistake you did. Ordered the longer 1.
    I bought the 2849, same size as the 2832, so it will fit, but I would have preferred your 5000mah rather than the 4000 mah I got. I didn't realize the 2832 was even out there. I'm slowly learning to be patient before buying.

RC Enthusiast
    If I were you id buy some velcro straps instead. I can fit anything from a 8.4v nimh to a 7600mah 75c 3s csrc lipo. All without buying overpriced Traxxas upgrades. It only cost me a couple of dollars to do. I can provide some pictures if you want.

RC Enthusiast
    I also run the Traxxas 2832X (short case) in my rustler 4x4 vxl and it fits just fine. I always compare battery dimensions to battery compartment dimensions before i buy a battery.

RC Qualifier
    Iíve now privately bought 6 unused long 3S Traxxas ID batteries.
    People buy them and then oops, too long. They sell and lose money.
    But they fit nicely in my ground out Stampede chassisís.
    And the last two I just pulled out of storage for the new Slash 4x4.

Moral of the story is lots of people do it, so donít feel bad...

RC poster
    So Iím not the only one...

Iím new to Traxxas products. I had the exact same problem when I bought my Rustler 4x4 VXL. When I referred to the battery compatibility page, it lists the 2872X as an option. So it made the most financial and logical sense to get the 2990 completer kit from my local shop. Kit comes with two 2872X batteries and the 2972 charger, and as you well know, THE BATTERIES DIDNíT FIT. The shop wouldnít take them back so I ended up getting two 2832X batteries as well.

Needless to say I was ****ed. This entire mishap was a direct result of the Rustler 4x4 VXL battery page having bad information. When I emailed them about it, they gave me the run around and responded like a dyslexic Alzheimerís patient. No matter how clearly I explained the situation, they just kept saying the rustler and rustler 4x4 are two completely different models and therefore the batteries wonít fit. I wrote the issue in about 3 different ways since it was obviously not being comprehended. They would disregard everything I said and it was always the same response. I just gave up and ate the cost.

Maybe Iíll use the other batteries for an e-Revo or something. But honestly the customer service I experienced seriously left a bad taste in my mouth. It makes me hesitant to keep investing into Traxxas products. Maybe Iím overreacting? Iím hoping this isnít a common thing in terms of customer service and communication.

RC Racer
    I noticed that Traxxas produces a new version of the Rustler 4x4.
    The new version has al longer battery tray so the long batteries could fit.

You can find more info over here https://traxxas.com/news/choosing-batteries-rustler-4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by StijnH View Post

You can find more info over here https://traxxas.com/news/choosing-batteries-rustler-4x4
    Interesting. I just bought my VXL less than a month ago, direct from Traxxas, and it won't hold the bigger battery. Thanks for the link.

RC Racer
    This *IS* New News! Thanks for pointing it out, StijnH!
    Interesting. Kind of making me wish that I'd not just thrown down on a few more shorty battery packs in the last month or so...
    Oh well. Nice of Traxxas to make it possible for the rest of us to be able to upgrade to the 'second gen'/Long-Format Chassis for under $35 USD.
    -- BillJ

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by StijnH View Post

Thanks for the link. Iíll have to purchase the new chassis so I can make use of the 2 long batteries I thought I wasted my money on.

RC poster
    I wonder if this is a direct response to all the people who complained about getting the wrong batteries. We canít be the only ones. Since it was listed on the Rustlerís battery page, I didnít even think to check the dimensions. I just took their word that the batteries would fit. Definitely wonít make that mistake again.

RC Competitor
    I'm looking to get a Rustler 4x4 vxl. Has anyone found a website that's selling them with the updated chassis? Traxxas doesn't have them in stock. The only one I can find online still has the 143mm battery compartment. I noticed they both share the same model number, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreary View Post
    I noticed they both share the same model number, as well.

I think if it shares the same model number, it's because they have removed the 6.5mm black foam in front of the batteries compartment and the measurement suit as follows : with the foam, the compartment measures exactly 138.5mm and by removing it we have about 145mm.

I could be wrong but I don't think that Traxxas has made an all new chassis just for increasing the compartment length by 6.5mm.

RC poster
    I think if it shares the same model number, it's because they have removed the 6.5mm black foam in front of the batteries compartment and the measurement suit as follows : with the foam, the compartment measures exactly 138.5mm and by removing it we have about 145mm.

I could be wrong but I don't think that Traxxas has made an all new chassis just for increasing the compartment length by 6.5mm.
    I tried removing the foam and the battery tray was still WAY too small. I had to remove the entire latch and use straps to hold the battery down. They kept coming loose so I just bought the short LiPo packs and reinstalled the latch.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard88 View Post
    I tried removing the foam and the battery tray was still WAY too small. I had to remove the entire latch and use straps to hold the battery down. They kept coming loose so I just bought the short LiPo packs and reinstalled the latch.

I don't want to be a joy reaper here but my comment was address to mister McCreary and there is an unwritten rule on the Forum which implies that the non concerned members do not have to interacted in this kind of situation. Anyway by knowing the battery dimensions and by measuring the battery compartment, we can't be wrong.

Please don't take it personnel and if you quote me on, I'm going to answer you.

RC Competitor
    I don't want to be a joy reaper here but my comment was address to mister McCreary and there is an unwritten rule on the Forum which implies that the non concerned members do not have to interacted in this kind of situation. Anyway by knowing the battery dimensions and by measuring the battery compartment, we can't be wrong.

Please don't take it personnel and if you quote me on, I'm going to answer you.
    Whoa man, calm down. He was sharing his experience, trying to help.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor

The "new" chassis claims to have a 162mm battery compartment. Regardless, when I spoke to Traxxas on Thursday, they weren't able to tell me which chassis I'd be getting, even though they had them back in stock. The rep said they can't tell by looking at the box. I was given two choices. Either order the Rustler and measure it when I took it out of the box, or just get the short pack(2832x) because it will work in both chassis. I have plenty of HiTech foam laying around from my RC airplane days, so I went with the short pack. I'll know the answer when it arrives.
    Last edited by McCreary; 05-23-2020 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    Whoa man, calm down. He was sharing his experience, trying to help.

In my opinion, there are a difference between sharing his experience and interact in place of someone else but you don't have to be in agrement and honestly I don't want you to agree with me. Everyone has their understanding.

RC Competitor
    In my opinion, there are a difference between sharing his experience and interact in place of someone else but you don't have to be in agrement and honestly I don't want you to agree with me. Everyone has their understanding.
    This is a place for everyone to help each other. There's no reason to try and keep people from helping, even if they jump in later.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    The "new" chassis claims to have a 162mm battery compartment. Regardless, when I spoke to Traxxas on Thursday, they weren't able to tell me which chassis I'd be getting, even though they had them back in stock. The rep said they can't tell by looking at the box. I was given two choices. Either order the Rustler and measure it when I took it out of the box, or just get the short pack(2832x) because it will work in both chassis. I have plenty of HiTech foam laying around from my RC airplane days, so I went with the short pack. I'll know the answer when it arrives.
    It would be odd that they made a fairly significant change to the chassis yet made no distinction on the box, especially considering they kept the same model number. I mean they make new model numbers for different bodies and battery combos for exact same cars in the past.

In the box the car comes in, one panel shows the chassis I believe, so it sounds like they are shipping some of the new chassis cars in boxes printed for the old chassis, assuming the rep you talked to was looking at a box and was informed of the chassis change.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    It would be odd that they made a fairly significant change to the chassis yet made no distinction on the box, especially considering they kept the same model number. I mean they make new model numbers for different bodies and battery combos for exact same cars in the past.

In the box the car comes in, one panel shows the chassis I believe, so it sounds like they are shipping some of the new chassis cars in boxes printed for the old chassis, assuming the rep you talked to was looking at a box and was informed of the chassis change.
    The guy I spoke with knew right away what I was talking about. I can't say for sure if he was being 100% sincere, but he sounded like he knew a lot about it. He said the only change to the chassis was the battery compartment. Everything else would be compatible. It is odd that they didn't at least add a suffix to the model number though. Now I'm chomping at the bit to get it and do some bashing. I have a Merv running 3s to hold me over, but the low clearance really limits where I can use it. Especially in the grass.

Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    This is a place for everyone to help each other. There's no reason to try and keep people from helping, even if they jump in later.

Even if everyone does not like to be hijacked on a quote, after some reflections, I agree with your opinion and I think the sharing experiences should be more various and interesting.
    Last edited by MECHANIC77; 05-23-2020 at 09:13 PM.

I find interesting that Traxxas have made an all new chassis and indeed I was wrong, so thanks to get me out of my ignorance, also I think Traxxas has spot right on by making a new chassis which should respond to the consumers needs. Everybody should take advantage of this. Traxxas will sell more batteries and the consumer will have more choice with the advantage of running bigger batteries with more mah capacity.

IMO I prefer to use the short pack and keep things as lite as possible.

RC poster

New Chassis work well?

Thanks for the link. Iíll have to purchase the new chassis so I can make use of the 2 long batteries I thought I wasted my money on.

So... I recently purchased a Rustler 4x4 and sure enough ended up with the ďolderĒ chassis. Same challenge as others with the longer 3s battery not fitting. Iím tempted to but the ďnewĒ chassis, but wondering if you have any pointers from your experience doing the same?

Thanks in advance!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Erobb79 View Post
    So... I recently purchased a Rustler 4x4 and sure enough ended up with the ďolderĒ chassis. Same challenge as others with the longer 3s battery not fitting. Iím tempted to but the ďnewĒ chassis, but wondering if you have any pointers from your experience doing the same?

Thanks in advance!
    I have the new chassis kit on the way so I donít have any hands on experience with it yet. But if you want, I can let you know how it goes once itís installed. I could even post pics of any significant changes I see if it would help anyone. Itís going to be nice to be able to use my 2872X lipos.

RC poster
    MECHANIC77,

Meant no disrespect. I apologize if I offended you in any way, was not my intention.

MECHANIC77,

Meant no disrespect. I apologize if I offended you in any way, was not my intention.

I can understand that sometimes new members are not always aware with the common sense of respect that most preconise on the Forum but I can't say that I have never done it too. Anyhow, there's no needs to be afraid, because sometimes God forgives. (Just kidding) No seriously I forgive you.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Erobb79 View Post
    So... I recently purchased a Rustler 4x4 and sure enough ended up with the “older” chassis. Same challenge as others with the longer 3s battery not fitting. I’m tempted to but the “new” chassis, but wondering if you have any pointers from your experience doing the same?

Thanks in advance!
    Just got mine today from Traxxas. Same thing. Came with the older chassis.

RC poster
    Well I purchased my Rustler 4x4 Vxl from my lhs and they were kind enough to open up the two they had in stock. One didnít fit my battery and the other one did. They did indeed update the chassis and now I can continue using my long batteries that I use in literally every other Traxxas product minus my Aton which I canít sell to save my life lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast