RC Competitor

Question T-Maxx steering servo

I got my T-Maxx (4908) running again today, for the fist time in 5 or 6 years. I noticed when sitting still, and I try to turn the wheels they won't turn. I was on short cut grass. I can't remember if that's normal or not. It's the stock steering servo. It seemed like it was a little sluggish turning while running but it has been so long I can't remember what it was like. I have a brand new, fully charged hump pack. I also checked for binding of the linkage and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Is the servo going out or is it normal?

The body was getting beat up when I last run it and I pretty much finished it off today. I landed off a small jump and nosed in and it went end over end multiple times. I was looking online at new bodies and saw a RC Raven roll cage. Any issues with running a roll cage instead of a body? Is RC Raven a good cage to get? Or, should I run a cage under a body to keep debris out? Thanks!
    Last edited by wrencher11; 05-02-2020 at 09:02 PM.

Dude, you got it running!! Nice! Glad to hear it!

The classic T maxx had this issue from factory with the steering. You're technically not supposed to move the wheel without the truck rolling. It's a super weak servo, even without binding it will be this way.

On my classic Maxx, I cut the chassis and installed dual servos for the steering. Although smarter me would have realized it's easier to just get a monster servo and call it a day, it actually works really well. i can share pics of my mod if you're interested. All I had was more slow weak servos, but 2 of them together actually worked really well and really powered those wheels to turn when I needed it. Huge improvement.

I would invest in a nicer servo, and maybe a better servo saver if you can. I don't know how well those radial spring servo savers do with powerful servos, that was another reason I went with dual servos. Up to you though.

Never used a roll cage on any of my rigs, but I think there are some good ones out there that do a good job. Just be ready for the extra weight, they're heavy and can make your truck more top heavy and roll over easier. The Maxx doesn't have one, but on my revo and most other nitros, they have a handle (which doubles as a roll over protector for the engine and parts) and I used to put thick foam around the tops of it up against the inside of the body to help keep the body from deforming when landing upside down.

It's not the impact that breaks the body shell, it's usually the deforming, the folding, and the crunching that makes them actually break IMO. So if you can fill in the body from the inside with foam in key areas, like the top center or for onroad cars, the front bumper as well, impacts are way less harsh on them body shell, and transfers the impact to the parts that were designed to take the impact. Get creative! I'm not sure how well body shells and roll cages play together, I've usually seen people run one or the other.

Hope this helps! Glad to hear you're out playing with the Maxx!

-Mike

RC Competitor
    I finally finished up my engine. Cleaned everything, new bearings, and new seals on the carb. It was a beautiful day out, I installed it and got her fired up! Ran great, thanks for the help on the other thread.

You're technically not supposed to move the wheel without the truck rolling. It's a super weak servo, even without binding it will be this way.
    I totally forgot about that! I remember that now, I have been out of this hobby for way too long.

I would invest in a nicer servo, and maybe a better servo saver if you can. I don't know how well those radial spring servo savers do with powerful servos, that was another reason I went with dual servos. Up to you though.
    Any recommendations on a better servo, and servo saver?

Never used a roll cage on any of my rigs, but I think there are some good ones out there that do a good job. Just be ready for the extra weight, they're heavy and can make your truck more top heavy and roll over easier. The Maxx doesn't have one, but on my revo and most other nitros, they have a handle (which doubles as a roll over protector for the engine and parts) and I used to put thick foam around the tops of it up against the inside of the body to help keep the body from deforming when landing upside down.

It's not the impact that breaks the body shell, it's usually the deforming, the folding, and the crunching that makes them actually break IMO. So if you can fill in the body from the inside with foam in key areas, like the top center or for onroad cars, the front bumper as well, impacts are way less harsh on them body shell, and transfers the impact to the parts that were designed to take the impact. Get creative!
    The RC Raven cage I was looking at weighs 16 ounces, I never thought about the top heavy aspect. I saw pictures a long time ago, probably on this forum, of T-Maxx's with wings. I might have to figure out what I need to buy to make one work. If I'm remembering correctly it was a Tekno? mount and Proline wing. That is a good idea with the foam to keep the body from deforming, you are probably right with the folding and crunching that busts up the bodies.

I'm not sure how well body shells and roll cages play together, I've usually seen people run one or the other.
    According to the description of that cage, it said you could run with the body on top of it. Then on the other hand if you have the cage under the body, maybe it could cause problems when it rolls or something too, and end up still busting up the body.

Hope this helps! Glad to hear you're out playing with the Maxx!
    It is a great help, thank you! I'm glad that I got the Maxx back out and running, today was one of the best, least stressful days I had in weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by wrencher11 View Post
    ...Any recommendations on a better servo, and servo saver?
    Best thing I did was put in a 2070 or 2075 servo and servo saver (steering) assembly from a T-Maxx 3.3. Both can be had fairly cheap from an RC chop shop.

...The RC Raven cage I was looking at weighs 16 ounces, I never thought about the top heavy aspect...
    I tried a roll cage once years ago. Took it back off shortly after. It did protect better, but at a huge cost to performance. It lost all it's get up and go.

I purchased a PRO-LINE body and that was much thicker than the stock body. It held up much better also. The problem with this now is it's getting hard to find bodies that fit the shorter chassis T-Maxx.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Best thing I did was put in a 2070 or 2075 servo and servo saver (steering) assembly from a T-Maxx 3.3. Both can be had fairly cheap from an RC chop shop.

I tried a roll cage once years ago. Took it back off shortly after. It did protect better, but at a huge cost to performance. It lost all it's get up and go.

I purchased a PRO-LINE body and that was much thicker than the stock body. It held up much better also. The problem with this now is it's getting hard to find bodies that fit the shorter chassis T-Maxx.
    I believe it has a 2070 servo in it, it is a 3.3 model 4908. Thanks for the input on the roll cage, I'll look into the Pro-line body. I believe it is a longer chassis if I am not mistaken. Thank you!

Oh I'm stupid, it's a maxx 3.3, duh. We talked about that in the other thread, my bad.

I feel like the 2075 servo would be a minor improvement to the 2070 you've got. If you want a 2075, I have a like new one I'd ship you for cheap!

But If you want some real steering performance, you might want to get an aftermarket servo. Digital at the least, brushless if you can afford it. It would be more steering performance than anyone ever needs, I just wonder if any of the traxxas servo savers would handle the insane torque...

The nice thing about the Revo I've got is that the servo saver is built into the steering rack, and is built to handle 2 servos, so when I put an overpowered steering servo in, it handles the power and speed perfectly. Not sure how it would fair on the maxx though. I can't imagine a really high end servo would do bad things though, the servo saver would just make the steering stay slow or sloppy under high loads, but maybe when driving around it wouldn't be noticeable.

Sounds like you want a high end servo, but if you want my 2075, Pm me and I can help you out!

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by wrencher11 View Post
    I believe it has a 2070 servo in it, it is a 3.3 model 4908. Thanks for the input on the roll cage, I'll look into the Pro-line body. I believe it is a longer chassis if I am not mistaken. Thank you!
    Sorry. Your right the 4908 is the newer long chassis setup. I was thinking it was the classic setup. I have been tinkering on my S-Maxx rebuild, so I wasn't paying attention. If you are thinking about upgrading the servo, take a look at the PROMODELER servos. After getting one for my TRX4 their quality is top notch.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    Oh I'm stupid, it's a maxx 3.3, duh. We talked about that in the other thread, my bad.
    No worries, it's all good!

But If you want some real steering performance, you might want to get an aftermarket servo. Digital at the least, brushless if you can afford it. It would be more steering performance than anyone ever needs, I just wonder if any of the traxxas servo savers would handle the insane torque...

The nice thing about the Revo I've got is that the servo saver is built into the steering rack, and is built to handle 2 servos, so when I put an overpowered steering servo in, it handles the power and speed perfectly. Not sure how it would fair on the maxx though. I can't imagine a really high end servo would do bad things though, the servo saver would just make the steering stay slow or sloppy under high loads, but maybe when driving around it wouldn't be noticeable.
    I think, for now, I might just stick close to what's stock or close to stock. Just bashing for now, gonna eventually build a track here in the yard. I'll have to see how it goes.

Sounds like you want a high end servo, but if you want my 2075, Pm me and I can help you out!
    Sent you a PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Sorry. Your right the 4908 is the newer long chassis setup. I was thinking it was the classic setup. I have been tinkering on my S-Maxx rebuild, so I wasn't paying attention. If you are thinking about upgrading the servo, take a look at the PROMODELER servos. After getting one for my TRX4 their quality is top notch.
    No problem! I will keep those in mind, thanks for the recommendation!

When you upgrade the servo make sure you use a 5 cell battery pack instead of 4 cell AA styled. Around 11mah or more would be fine. Traxxas, Orion packs are great but that added cell allows for less voltage drop when the servos are under load.

Then move your old steering servo to your throttle brake position. Upgrade all around...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    When you upgrade the servo make sure you use a 5 cell battery pack instead of 4 cell AA styled. Around 11mah or more would be fine. Traxxas, Orion packs are great but that added cell allows for less voltage drop when the servos are under load.

Then move your old steering servo to your throttle brake position. Upgrade all around...
    I do have the Traxxas 3037 hump pack, I think it is 1200mah.
    Is there a better pack I could use, when I need to replace this one?
    I didn't know that I could use the steering servo for the throttle/brake, thank you! I will definitely do that!

Yeah he was referring to what I did on my revo. New crazy servo for steering, then one of the steering 2075s to replace the stock 2056 throttle servo. And the other 2075 went to you!

Going from 2056 to 2075 for throttle I didn't notice a real difference, but it should be better, right? And I still have the 2056 in the box incase I need it.

You shouldn't need to replace the hump pack unless it's really old. If you are unsure of it's condition, what I would do is throw it on the charger, and fully charge, discharge, then charge. That way I can see if it's still taking the full capacity, and that process helps balance out the cells inside the pack too. It's good for it!

-mike

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    Yeah he was referring to what I did on my revo. New crazy servo for steering, then one of the steering 2075s to replace the stock 2056 throttle servo. And the other 2075 went to you!
    I have been away from the hobby for too long, I probably knew that at one point....But then it probably got purged from memory, to make room in my brain, to remember something else! Haha

Going from 2056 to 2075 for throttle I didn't notice a real difference, but it should be better, right? And I still have the 2056 in the box incase I need it.
    I'll have to run mine with the stock throttle servo and then switch it out to the 2070 and see if it makes a difference. I have my curiosity getting to me now. I would think it would have some improvement...

You shouldn't need to replace the hump pack unless it's really old. If you are unsure of it's condition, what I would do is throw it on the charger, and fully charge, discharge, then charge. That way I can see if it's still taking the full capacity, and that process helps balance out the cells inside the pack too. It's good for it!
    I had to replace mine, when I dusted my T-Maxx off. It is brand new right now. I need to invest sometime in a better charger for that, I can't check anything with the one that I got with my truck. I can't remember, it is a Traxxas charger, an EZ peak maybe?? Small thin rectangular box with a single green led on it. It only has the small plug on it for the hump pack, and an adapter for my EZ start battery. Sometime in the future, hopefully my RC fleet grows, and I can get a good charger to do all. Lipos, NiMh, and have all the bells and whistles.

Steve

RC Competitor
    ....it is a Traxxas charger, an EZ peak maybe?? Small thin rectangular box with a single green led on it. It only has the small plug on it for the hump pack, and an adapter for my EZ start battery.

Steve
    I was mistaken on the charger for the EZ start and hump pack. It's a TRX power charger. The EZ peak was what I got for my Summit LiPo batteries.

Steve