RC poster

Attached an FPV kit to my Slash. What a time to be alive!

Hey all,

Just wanted to share a vid series I've started called 'RC Rally Open' where I take my Traxxas slash out to random locations, put together a track and set times using an FPV first person view camera setup. Hoping one day it might turn into a bit of a local community

For the first one, I found a gravel path around a school field which was a great opportunity to test the range of the goggles/camera with a reasonably flat path (however slippery on that pesky white gravel!)

RC Enthusiast
    Love this!
    Subscribing

Looks like fun... very mice!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Nice. What does the camera gear consist of in components? Pics of the equipment? What do you use for an antenna? Cost? Picture quality is great, allowing you to travel at a healthy speed, and with a little carera shake, no car sickness sensation. Big leap in FPV IMHO. Can it handle vibration, like jumps and crashes? If so, I have 2 rigs that I would put that into today, 3rd one is being built now.

RC Enthusiast
    If I hadn't blown a bunch of money on a rock crawler I totally would have gotten a fpv setup. Very cool.

RC poster
    Is the posted video taken from your goggles or directly from the camera? That video looks way too clean and good for what one would see in the goggles. With the FPV setups I tried, I could never get the range and video quality in the posted video. PLease share your setup.

Personally, I can only handle the POV view for 10-20 seconds at a time as the full video. Makes me dizzy. lol!

When I do use a POV, I use it in my footage with the camera I'm wearing being the main footage and the POV being a picture-in-picture. Then for a few snips throughout the video, I'll switch them for a bit of variety.

Still, would like to know the setup your using. Strapping a hero5 session on is a lot of weight dangling off the truck and it's hard to get it mounted in a place that doesn't damage whatever it's mounted to when jumping, or just go flying every time it lands.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Personally, I can only handle the POV view for 10-20 seconds at a time as the full video. Makes me dizzy. lol!

When I do use a POV, I use it in my footage with the camera I'm wearing being the main footage and the POV being a picture-in-picture. Then for a few snips throughout the video, I'll switch them for a bit of variety.

Still, would like to know the setup your using. Strapping a hero5 session on is a lot of weight dangling off the truck and it's hard to get it mounted in a place that doesn't damage whatever it's mounted to when jumping, or just go flying every time it lands.
    There is a go-pro 7 white IN the car, just needed to cut the windows out of the shell. Def not on the roof, else it shakes too much with the chassis moving and yeah if you roll, goodbye camera!

There is a second camera with a transmitter for the goggles powered by it's own batter. Naturally not as high quality but has low latency signal for goggles. I did try a couple cameras to find one that looked OK.

Re driving difficulty, there are other videos on the channel that show I'm getting more confident in speed as I get better! Its a bit tricky, but you do get used to it after 5-10 mins!

I have some pretty high technical ambitions, so this is only the start of the channel!

RC poster
    Great idea for the video! Yeah ill try do that. Hoping my goggles can actually record footage...

Mind you, the whole goal from the project is to make the setup and video editing/upload as easy as possible. I want to be able to just decide to go out one afternoon, come back and slam the video on YouTube with little hassle. This is all a bit of a test too to see if people think it's cool, and perhaps ill start to up the production value in a few months!

Share a link to your FPV videos?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dan3949 View Post
    Is the posted video taken from your goggles or directly from the camera? That video looks way too clean and good for what one would see in the goggles. With the FPV setups I tried, I could never get the range and video quality in the posted video. PLease share your setup.

Yeah there is a second camera for the goggles. What you are seeing is the go-pro.

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out how to optimise range. At the moment it seems limited by line of sight, but bear in mind that is quite a distance, which means you can have a track that you def could not race just by standing on the side and watching your car go round. That being said, I curiously did one race in a bush and I think because of the bouncing of signal off trees it was possible to go beyond line of sight, though it did start getting fuzzy. JUST good enough to do the second video on the channel.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    Nice. What does the camera gear consist of in components? Pics of the equipment? What do you use for an antenna? Cost? Picture quality is great, allowing you to travel at a healthy speed, and with a little carera shake, no car sickness sensation. Big leap in FPV IMHO. Can it handle vibration, like jumps and crashes? If so, I have 2 rigs that I would put that into today, 3rd one is being built now.
    excluding go-pro, not too much. Maybe $300-400 including the goggles. I'll do a 'how to' video end of the month

Quote Originally Posted by rcrallyopen View Post
    excluding go-pro, not too much. Maybe $300-400 including the goggles. I'll do a 'how to' video end of the month
    Links would be helpful.

This is how I mounted my session in my stampede 4x4:

Industrial velcro, aluminum flat piece with the front bent up to lock the camera in place and a velcro strap holding it down. Looked dumb, but I could bash the snot out of it, jumps, lawn darts, whatever and the camera would stay put. Just sucked a bit because the camera was too tall and I couldn't raise it enough to show full view out of the windshield, so you'd see 1/3 under the hood and 2/3 out the windshield.

Can see the effect here:

I've since extended it using a slash chassis and cut a new body for it, which I don't think will work nearly as good as the old one, so no more POV on my stampede until I find a smaller camera that I can mount higher but still lower than the roof so it doesn't get crushed.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss