Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    2

    Cool rustler 4x4 vxl- motor options

    i just got a rustler 4x4 and i want to put in a bigger electronic system- would the 540xl motor/esc fit from the maxx fit? i might just put a hobbywing system, but was wondering about the maxx electronics.

    also i saw that some people have sheared off the u joints on the upgraded steel cvds and was wondering if there is a better option or if maybe they are not good for 4s...

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    127
    The Maxx motor/esc combo is too big without chopping the heck out of your chassis. I just went Castle 2400kv w/ a Mamba X and it works perfectly, and stays cool even if you gear it up.

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    3
    What he said

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier GotNoRice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
    The Maxx motor/esc combo is too big without chopping the heck out of your chassis. I just went Castle 2400kv w/ a Mamba X and it works perfectly, and stays cool even if you gear it up.
    The Maxx motor and the Castle 2400kv motor are the same size - 3670.

    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3461
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ca...ft-060-0067-00

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    7
    The 540xl fits, tight, but it fits. No need for an esc change though. You do have to change the ends to 6.5mm. The vxl 3s is comfortable with 4s but I haven't tried it yet. I will say that the 540xl in my Hustler with the vxl 3s on 3s ludicrous. I can't wait for the 4s power to come. Yes, the vxl3s esc absolutely can and is comfortable with 4s lipos. Best swap yet! Sorry I'm totally stoked over the improvement.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier GotNoRice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustler VXXL View Post
    Yes, the vxl3s esc absolutely can and is comfortable with 4s lipos. Best swap yet! Sorry I'm totally stoked over the improvement.
    You have posted this in several threads now, but the VXL-3s is not, nor has ever been, compatible with 4s voltage.

    The VXL-3s supports a maximum of 12.6 volts, which is the voltage of a fully charged 3s pack. It has over-voltage protection that will cause it to fail to arm if you connect a battery with a voltage greater than that.

    If you have something that shows that this has changed, please post it.

  7. #7
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    7
    You are correct, I have. I have also personally witnessed the dozen or so folks at the local indoor dirt track run the vxl3s on 4s the esc only sizzled when one fool dropped in a 6s. Also, no problems at all on 4s with the 3500 motor. Traxxas sells a rustler 4x4 vxl only battery strap set that has straps that perfectly fit 2,3, and 4s batteries. Not to mention, those 12 gauge wires coming to and from the unit.Those dozen guys must have special option vxl's you aren't aware of. But sure, I'll believe you over my lying eyes.

  8. #8
    RC Racer McCreary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustler VXXL View Post
    You are correct, I have. I have also personally witnessed the dozen or so folks at the local indoor dirt track run the vxl3s on 4s the esc only sizzled when one fool dropped in a 6s. Also, no problems at all on 4s with the 3500 motor. Traxxas sells a rustler 4x4 vxl only battery strap set that has straps that perfectly fit 2,3, and 4s batteries. Not to mention, those 12 gauge wires coming to and from the unit.Those dozen guys must have special option vxl's you aren't aware of. But sure, I'll believe you over my lying eyes.
    You might want to let Traxxas know of your extensive knowledge. I just spoke with them, and they confirmed the VXL-3S is not 4s capable. But sure, I'll believe you over the manufacturer.

  9. #9
    RC Champion grizzly03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    2,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustler VXXL View Post
    ...Yes, the vxl3s esc absolutely can and is comfortable with 4s lipos. Best swap yet! Sorry I'm totally stoked over the improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustler VXXL View Post
    You are correct, I have. I have also personally witnessed the dozen or so folks at the local indoor dirt track run the vxl3s on 4s the esc only sizzled when one fool dropped in a 6s...Those dozen guys must have special option vxl's you aren't aware of. But sure, I'll believe you over my lying eyes.
    I hope your not confusing the VXL-3s with the VXL-4s. How are they able to get around the over-voltage protection?

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustler VXXL View Post
    The 540xl fits, tight, but it fits. No need for an esc change though. You do have to change the ends to 6.5mm. The vxl 3s is comfortable with 4s but I haven't tried it yet. I will say that the 540xl in my Hustler with the vxl 3s on 3s ludicrous. I can't wait for the 4s power to come. Yes, the vxl3s esc absolutely can and is comfortable with 4s lipos. Best swap yet! Sorry I'm totally stoked over the improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustler VXXL View Post
    You are correct, I have. I have also personally witnessed the dozen or so folks at the local indoor dirt track run the vxl3s on 4s the esc only sizzled when one fool dropped in a 6s. Also, no problems at all on 4s with the 3500 motor. Traxxas sells a rustler 4x4 vxl only battery strap set that has straps that perfectly fit 2,3, and 4s batteries. Not to mention, those 12 gauge wires coming to and from the unit.Those dozen guys must have special option vxl's you aren't aware of. But sure, I'll believe you over my lying eyes.
    Wait, which is it, you have or have not run a 4s on the vxl-3s esc?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •