Welcome Back!! - Brushless Combo Questions

Hey Everybody!

It has been literal YEARS since I have been on these forums. I sold my rustler vxl back in 2016, and I sold my Slash 4x4 Platinum in 2018...

Not to worry, I didn't leave the hobby. I have been very much into RC Planes over the past few years, and currently I have a fleet of over 20 Aircraft and a few quads.

Recently I was given a Traxxas Rustler (2006 Model) from a buddy over on the FliteTest forums, and the fire started coming back! I still know my way around these things like the back of my hand, so the first thing to do was to give it a complete teardown and cleaning. Every screw was removed, and each part was cleaned.

I also got some parts on order. A modern 2.4ghz transmitter was in order (I'm a spektrum guy so I went for a STX2) as well as RPM Casters and Front/Rear Hub Carriers. I also picked up some hardened steel kingpins from hot racing. Being a 2006 model, It comes with a plastic diff gear and idler gear, so I went ahead and got some steel ones off DollarHobbyz as well. I also picked up some 5x11x4mm bearings for the hubs. Finally I topped things off for now with a wheelie bar to protect the back end.

Anyway, next order of business is a brushless system. The Current (yellow) XL5 system doesn't support LVC obviously, and coming from planes I run lipos only (my old 5000 I kept around after my slash is my only 2 cell I have, the rest are 3+ cells) and have lots of them at my disposal. Obviously the slower nature of the brushed system in general also gives me the obvious need to upgrade to a brushless system too .

Okay so I am looking for a reliable option for less money. Is it just me or have the prices of brushless systems skyrocketed? The same dynamite system I bought in 2014 for my rustler for $105 at my LHS is now 159!! Also its hard to find castle systems below 100 even used these days.. hmm. Anyway, this rustler is somewhat of a side project at the moment so I am looking for a reliable system that isnt gonna eat into my funding for my other, potentially more important projects.

I have seen the GoolRC systems (those weren't around 4 years ago lol) and the motor gets praise but the ESC seems like junk. Obviously we could get into the Hobbywing systems and other inexpensive brands, but I am just overall looking for a system that doesn't require special attention or care given to keep it running, that can handle 3s like a champ, and preferably keeps the price below $80-100 bucks tops. Any thoughts?

also, If you want to keep up with what's going on with this project, check out my Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCso...GT0mBoECt1ny8Q
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

RC Racer
    You could probably find a used vxl 3s for not too expensive, that's what I run. Way to go with the rustler, those rock!!!

Thanks, not too many offerings currently on ebay, might have to look around. A used sidewinder might be the move.

You can use the traxxas “power up program” and turn in your brushed motor and esc and get a vxl3s esc and Velineon brushless motor setup for around 100 dollars, brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by justin13703 View Post
    You can use the traxxas “power up program” and turn in your brushed motor and esc and get a vxl3s esc and Velineon brushless motor setup for around 100 dollars, brand new.
    Well its still $125 if I trade in the XL5, so I might just keep poking around for a used system. we will see.

RC Racer
    [Typewriter noises] . . . Somewhere in the Eastwest . . .
    StampedeSwag13: I'm guessing that because you have been into the aerial side of the hobby, you are up to date on the brushless and LiPo technologies of today, but if you aren't, you'll want to do some reading up on that. Several people on this site and several others have given very positive reviews of the Hobbwing Max 10 SCT system for the 2wd platform. Apparently it is the same as the old WP-SC8 system they used to sell, which you could probably find used for a good price, and then you could pick up a GoolRC motor to go with it for pretty cheap. You could use a similar mixed combo to get something for less as well.
    I might have addicted my friend to RC. O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    StampedeSwag13: I'm guessing that because you have been into the aerial side of the hobby, you are up to date on the brushless and LiPo technologies of today, but if you aren't, you'll want to do some reading up on that. Several people on this site and several others have given very positive reviews of the Hobbwing Max 10 SCT system for the 2wd platform. Apparently it is the same as the old WP-SC8 system they used to sell, which you could probably find used for a good price, and then you could pick up a GoolRC motor to go with it for pretty cheap. You could use a similar mixed combo to get something for less as well.
    I am, thats a good point. I will look into it. Thanks!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by StampedeSwag13 View Post
    Thanks, not too many offerings currently on ebay, might have to look around. A used sidewinder might be the move.
    Right, the economy isn't exactly amazing right now.......
    What is different about the yellow xl-5 instead of the blue one?
    Also anyone know any cool rustler bodies?
    Any advise for possible new tires? They would be for mostly pavement, but sometimes grass or gravel.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAXXASAXXART View Post
    What is different about the yellow xl-5 instead of the blue one?
    Any advise for possible new tires? They would be for mostly pavement, but sometimes grass or gravel.
    Yellow XL5 isnt waterproof, and doesnt have Low Voltage detection (LVD) for Lipo Batteries.

Stock one is pretty cool imo, especially if you get it clear and paint it up
    I ran a stampede body on my previous rustler for a bit, lowered ofc, also really slick
    Proline Bulldog is worth checking out
    You can mod other stadium truck bodies as well
    If you extend the chassis a bit you can use slash bodies

For tires, I'm a fan of the proline trenchers, dont get the 2.8s if you want to go fast, but maybe if you want monster truck performance. They make a 2.2 ST model, but you need to glue them yourself. You can also get offset compensating A-Arms and slash rears from RPM and run the SC version all around with no differing in offset.

Trenchers are good for all around, anacondas from TRX are popular for pavement but suck anywhere else. I would advise against any pin style tire (like stock) because they wear quickly.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAXXASAXXART View Post

Jconcepts has some Rustler bodies

https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/f2-ru...w-rear-spoiler
    https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/1993-...-wrear-spoiler
    https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/illuz...stler-xl5-body
    https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/illuz...aptor-svt-body

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by StampedeSwag13 View Post
    I have seen the GoolRC systems (those weren't around 4 years ago lol) and the motor gets praise but the ESC seems like junk. Obviously we could get into the Hobbywing systems and other inexpensive brands, but I am just overall looking for a system that doesn't require special attention or care given to keep it running, that can handle 3s like a champ, and preferably keeps the price below $80-100 bucks tops. Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCso...GT0mBoECt1ny8Q
    Onyx combo either the 3000kv or 4000kv one. They basically are what replaced the Dynamite Tazer combos. The nice thing about them is that they are 70a escs now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONYX-1-10-4...oAAOSwsFJdjQch
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONYX-1-10-4...IAAOSwi3ZdjQch

They used to be called Kinexsis.

If you shop around you can pick up a Hobbywing WP SC8 or Hexfly Hex10 esc for under $60 and a cheap 3650 or 3660 motor from eBay or Amazon which will still put you in your price range.
    Last edited by Igottabeme; 05-06-2020 at 05:10 PM.

RC Racer
    Thanks Stampedeswag and Igotta, you are a real help! I agree about the stock knobby tires. I liked the 1993 ford raptor body the most. Great advise guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Igottabeme View Post
    Onyx combo either the 3000kv or 4000kv one. They basically are what replaced the Dynamite Tazer combos. The nice thing about them is that they are 70a escs now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONYX-1-10-4...oAAOSwsFJdjQch
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONYX-1-10-4...IAAOSwi3ZdjQch

They used to be called Kinexsis.

If you shop around you can pick up a Hobbywing WP SC8 or Hexfly Hex10 esc for under $60 and a cheap 3650 or 3660 motor from eBay or Amazon which will still put you in your price range.

Thank you!! Im going to have to spring for the Onyx system! If it was anything like my old tazer it is going to perform well. and of course, If anything goes wrong I have HH support to back it up. Thanks!