RC Racer

150cc fuel tank. Will it fit?

I realize itís only another 25cc more than what my current tank is but since my tank is as old as the truck which is over 10 years old, would it be a good upgrade to get a newer tank that has a little bit more capacity? And most importantly, will it fit in my smaller tanks place?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Yes, it will bolt right on

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Third Coast RC View Post
    Yes, it will bolt right on
    You mean cotter clip??...lol. But yes, I get what you meanÖ LOL.

I know it may not sound like a whole lot but in this little car, 25ccís might be a lot more noticeable than I think.

It's a decent difference in capacity. If you find yourself either fueling up really often or just running the tank dry a lot, you might get more fun out of a bigger tank.

For me I don't mind fueling up even pretty often, it's kinda part of the fun for me. Makes it feel even cooler haha. I just got my Jato 3.3, and I now realize the difference between the Revo tank and the Jato 75cc tank, lol.

No real reason not to go bigger tho lol. Actually, some tanks by design tune poorly. Like the Classic Tmaxx tank. Not a good design, even though its decently big. I actually bought a short course truck fuel tank for my Classic maxx, and the tuning is so much better, and I don't notice the shorter run times.

-Mike

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    It's a decent difference in capacity. If you find yourself either fueling up really often or just running the tank dry a lot, you might get more fun out of a bigger tank.

For me I don't mind fueling up even pretty often, it's kinda part of the fun for me. Makes it feel even cooler haha. I just got my Jato 3.3, and I now realize the difference between the Revo tank and the Jato 75cc tank, lol.

No real reason not to go bigger tho lol. Actually, some tanks by design tune poorly. Like the Classic Tmaxx tank. Not a good design, even though its decently big. I actually bought a short course truck fuel tank for my Classic maxx, and the tuning is so much better, and I don't notice the shorter run times.

-Mike
    How would a larger tank by design be any harder to tune? Iím just curious. Hopefully a larger tank on my truck wonít make it any harder to tune.

It's not the bigger size of the tank that's problematic, it's the shape of the tank. Some tanks just have bad positioning, bad baffles, a bad pickup, or any other problems.

Like the Tmaxx tank, it was bad because of multiple of those reasons, not because it was a big ish tank.
    It's just a consideration when changing tanks, to bigger or smaller. If it tunes not so great after the swap, go back and try the old one again. Odds are though you'll be fine. There are not too many tanks that are bad, it's really not usually an issue. Good luck!

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    How would a larger tank by design be any harder to tune? I’m just curious. Hopefully a larger tank on my truck won’t make it any harder to tune.

It's not really a "larger" tank issue, more of a tank shape issue. Having a fat top and skinny bottom (savage) or skinny top and fat bottom (t-maxx) causes the fuel pressure to change as it empties which tends to affect the tuning. A uniformly shaped tank from top to bottom works best.

I didn't notice much difference in tuning with the 125cc vs 150cc tank on the nitro revos. I have the 150cc on both of mine, one running an LRP28, the other an OS21TM. The OS21TM seems to run forever on a tank compared to the LRP28. LOL! The 3.3 was similar, just ran and ran and ran. With the LRP28, I feel like I'm filling it up all the time. Was thinking of getting a decent 21 big block as the 28 is more power than the revo needs, a good 21 would fit it better power wise and save on fuel. I drive nitro so infrequently anymore, it doesn't really matter much.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    It's not really a "larger" tank issue, more of a tank shape issue. Having a fat top and skinny bottom (savage) or skinny top and fat bottom (t-maxx) causes the fuel pressure to change as it empties which tends to affect the tuning. A uniformly shaped tank from top to bottom works best...
    I don't believe the tank shape or size really effects the tune. (Unless it really gets wild.) It's more about location. The T-maxx fuel issue (and Savage) was due to tank location and gravity.

When the tank was full it was running rich, because the fuel level in the tank was higher than carb. When the T-maxx started running lean the fuel level was below the carb. Less pressure (or none) was needed to push fuel to a lower point, also it takes more pressure to push fuel upwards. Hench the reason why to get the best of both with the stock tank (compromise between rich or lean) was to tune at half a tank. This is also the reason the modification of installing a buggy tank worked so well. They were shorter and longer and held a decent quantity of fuel and when installed the fuel level was never above the carb.

If you look at the Revo tank position it's below the carb. There was never anybody saying "don't switch tanks, it doesn't tune the same." It was go ahead "you'll gain more fuel", "unless you need to save weight for racing." If you notice a tuning issue by installing this bigger tank, it would be for another reason. Tank lid not sealing, bad fuel line, etc. The same reasons as having the smaller tank installed.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I don't believe the tank shape or size really effects the tune. (Unless it really gets wild.) It's more about location. The T-maxx fuel issue (and Savage) was due to tank location and gravity.

When the tank was full it was running rich, because the fuel level in the tank was higher than carb. When the T-maxx started running lean the fuel level was below the carb. Less pressure (or none) was needed to push fuel to a lower point, also it takes more pressure to push fuel upwards. Hench the reason why to get the best of both with the stock tank (compromise between rich or lean) was to tune at half a tank. This is also the reason the modification of installing a buggy tank worked so well. They were shorter and longer and held a decent quantity of fuel and when installed the fuel level was never above the carb.

If you look at the Revo tank position it's below the carb. There was never anybody saying "don't switch tanks, it doesn't tune the same." It was go ahead "you'll gain more fuel", "unless you need to save weight for racing." If you notice a tuning issue by installing this bigger tank, it would be for another reason. Tank lid not sealing, bad fuel line, etc. The same reasons as having the smaller tank installed.
    Well, donít the new Revo 3.3ís come factory with this larger tank?? Are there known issues with tuning with those with the larger tank? For all i know, that same issue could be the case my truck and itís smaller tank. This the first Iíve heard about tuning at half tank.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Well, donít the new Revo 3.3ís come factory with this larger tank?? Yes
    Are there known issues with tuning with those with the larger tank? No
    For all i know, that same issue could be the case my truck and itís smaller tank. This the first Iíve heard about tuning at half tank.
    Tuning at half tank was for the T-maxx not the Revo. The Revo doesn't suffer the Rich--full tank/Lean--empty tank. The smaller or larger Revo tank won't have an adverse affect on the tune. If your having issues that a tune won't fix, there is another reason than the tank size.