RC Enthusiast

Body Reamer, or alternatives?

Hi

I'll soon be needing to make a hole in the body of my Defender for the LED light bar wires. Is a body reamer the only option for the job, or are there alternatives?
    Stephen
    Vallee du Loir
    France

A body reamer is the best option, it makes a nice clean hole to the size you want.

There are, of course, other options.
    • Drill bit. If you are very careful, and the bit is new/sharp, you can get a clean hole. But, even with a sharp bit, they have a tendency to rip the body causing a large(ish) tear.
    • Soldering iron. If you have a low-wattage iron, you can use that to make a hole. If you are quick and steady it works well. If you are not quick and steady, it makes a mess.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    A body reamer is the best option, it makes a nice clean hole to the size you want.

There are, of course, other options.
    Drill bit. If you are very careful, and the bit is new/sharp, you can get a clean hole. But, even with a sharp bit, they have a tendency to rip the body causing a large(ish) tear.
    Soldering iron. If you have a low-wattage iron, you can use that to make a hole. If you are quick and steady it works well. If you are not quick and steady, it makes a mess.
    Thanks! I'd wondered about a soldering iron, but I've used one before on plastic, as you say, get it wrong and its a mess! Looks like a reamer better go on the shopping list!
    Stephen
    Vallee du Loir
    France

RC Qualifier
    I use a dremel with a tapered grinding bit.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk