RC poster

VXL-8S is Garbage!

Just dropped $900 on a brand new X-Maxx. First run, took it out and after I give the X-Maxx full throttle, the VXL shuts off. Leaving for my LHS right now to pick up a real ESC - Max 6. And I donít think I can even get a warranty replacement because I cut the Traxxas battery connector to swap for XT90.

Garbage!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I disagree.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    Perfectly put the traxxas connectors back on- send it in

vxl8s esc are a good beginners speed control -
    no problems with 2 of them for years

Max6 punch rules tho
    fabricator

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Side by side my vxl8s had more punch than my buds max6. IDK, maybe it was batteries or gearing. My vxl8s is over 3 years old. No issues whatsoever after firmware update.

BTW, did you contact Traxxas yet? Or did you just fly off the handle and just throw the esc out lol?

RC Qualifier
    My new XMAXX has run perfect out of the box (traxxas 6700 batts, traxxas charger, all stock). I have not performed any firmware 'upgrades'. It has run great. I have bought the 2085x Traxxas servo for it, expecting the stock servo will give up the ghost eventually...

Bummer yours gave you trouble. I hope you still think it is an awesome beast. I am amazed by it every time I drive it, much like my UDR, but for other reasons.

RC poster
    Thanks, guys. Went to my LHS and picked up a Hobbywing Max 6 and it runs awesome!

RC Racer
    Can't beat the max 6 , but I would geuss a bad solder connect on those plugs , just geussing , I'm staying stock k, just to keep my warranty is in tact for now ,I will go max 6 eventually , but I'll deal with Traxxas detect for now on my X max , they were great about the esc on max they changed it out for free , so that's how I'm driving the beast for now

RC Qualifier
    Vxl 8s is trash never liked it. Got a max6 originally and recently upgraded to the max5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I never had Traxxas esc last. Even my maxx esc died. I thought it may have held up because it seemed like it was as overkill.

RC Champion
    I disagree too, Traxxas stock stuff is good, nice programming with Link App, telemetry and good performance.

RC Enthusiast
    I disagree too, they're not garbage. Been running mine since Christmas. Lots of on and off full throttle. Works excellent, plenty of punch also. Max 6 is a viable option but not really necessary IMO.

RC Racer
    I have one with a max 6 one with a max 5 and one with a Traxxas VXL. Never had any issues with the vxl. It’s kinda my go to x-maxx. The one I beat the most. Lol.

RC Competitor
    Just guessing, but the Max manufacturer has a warranty department also. It’s the nature of anything electronic to fail to some percentage of the total manufactured.

I'm wondering if the op just soldered his connector on wrong and blew the esc

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I'm wondering if the op just soldered his connector on wrong and blew the esc
    Things do go bad, it happens. I feel bad for anyone that does have bad luck. Waiting to use a new toy is no fun.

Most times we never hear the whole story. New part is "crap" so I bought a different one. It can't be something I could have done.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Things do go bad, it happens. I feel bad for anyone that does have bad luck. Waiting to use a new toy is no fun.

Most times we never hear the whole story. New part is "crap" so I bought a different one. It can't be something I could have done.
    Agree. Everyone expects their product to be perfect when they receive it - whether it be an RC, hammer, light fixture, vanity or automobile. I do and get frustrated when it doesn't (recently had a $900 special-ordered vanity top delivered in more than one piece). Fact is, they are manufactured under imperfect human supervision/hands so that is why there is a warranty department set up to fix it. I don't believe Traxxas themselves manufactured the ESC but had a company overseas put it together with their specifications and slapped a Traxxas sticker on it. If they produced 100,000 of them and had a failure rate of 0.5% that would mean there are 500 out there that are bad. Even a quality assurance spot check on the line may not catch even one so it gets put out into distribution. Hence, Customer Service. But, due to the nature of the forums in general, we hear more about those 500 failures than the 99,500 successes.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Agree. Everyone expects their product to be perfect when they receive it - whether it be an RC, hammer, light fixture, vanity or automobile. I do and get frustrated when it doesn't (recently had a $900 special-ordered vanity top delivered in more than one piece). Fact is, they are manufactured under imperfect human supervision/hands so that is why there is a warranty department set up to fix it. I don't believe Traxxas themselves manufactured the ESC but had a company overseas put it together with their specifications and slapped a Traxxas sticker on it. If they produced 100,000 of them and had a failure rate of 0.5% that would mean there are 500 out there that are bad. Even a quality assurance spot check on the line may not catch even one so it gets put out into distribution. Hence, Customer Service. But, due to the nature of the forums in general, we hear more about those 500 failures than the 99,500 successes.
    Couldn't have put it better myself, Glad the OP is back up and running as well.

Even having one issue with vxl 6s esc I still think Trx esc are fine. I wouldnt say their bad at all. I do understand the frustration of OP situation.

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC poster
    Maybe I was a bit harsh, just getting in my X-Maxx and it didn’t work. Called Traxxas and they are swapping it out. But I’m gonna sell it and use the Hobbywing Max 6 which is running amazing.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mariog73 View Post
    Maybe I was a bit harsh, just getting in my X-Maxx and it didn’t work. Called Traxxas and they are swapping it out. But I’m gonna sell it and use the Hobbywing Max 6 which is running amazing.
    Mate, Traxxas support service is very good, of course, Max6 is a nice and affodable option too, probably the most used in this model.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Mate, Traxxas support service is very good, of course, Max6 is a nice and affodable option too, probably the most used in this model.
    Same here. Until I figured out the correct way to keep my LIPOS from swelling, TRAXXAS kept swapping them out for 50% off of retail no matter the time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apples and oranges, but my vxl-3s on my eJato has moved from a hard live in my stampede 4x4 (which was painfully abused when I got it). I've had the 3500kv traxxas motor fry on it, 2 3S traxxas lipo's fry on it, 3 fans die horribly on it, but it keeps on kicking. Likes to run on the warm side, which is why it was moved off the stampede, but it's still going and powering a savox 0231 servo on the jato.

I don't believe the vxl-3s was a "castle" esc, but rather a traxxas one.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss