Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    612

    Will there be a Traxxas roller competitor to Arrma Limitless

    Seems like the limitless came on to the market to cash in on the speed run and pavement bashing fad. I was pretty excited about it but not so much the arrma quality and the parts availability is always an issue with them it seems

    Iíve blown some money into some Sl4sh based on road cars that can take some abuse. They are cool and all but I kind of wish traxxas sold rollers of the xo-1 or something similar that those of us with numerous vxl-6s esc and motor and piles of Sl4sh parts that can really go to town with it.

    Anyone else thought about this?

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier nebulous.cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seattle by summer, AZ by Winter
    Posts
    327
    it's interesting you say this - I was never really interested in any Arrma vehicles until their latest 6s lineup came out. That said, i don't think I would actually buy any of them, for the reasons you said. I'm sure they've gotten better over the years, and they are becoming more mainstream, but the reason i love my Traxxas cars is just that I can get parts everywhere. Everywhere.

    Yeah I wish Traxxas made more rollers, or even kits. I love kits. I wouldn't mind any of the traxxas cars I've bought over the years coming as a kit. But most people are lazy and don't want that, but would be a cool option. We talked about this in the other thread in this subforum, the fact that Traxxas makes only what sells. If it's not profitable and popular, they won't make it. Kits are unpopular because today's "hobbyists" don't like building kits. Nitro is unpopular because it's probably too hard for most people.

    Arrma 6s RTRs are popular because it's pull-trigger insane power with no work involved, simple as that. I'm a huge onroad fan, for bashing, and hopefully some day, racing, but I prefer the refined, and frankly way more capable, touring cars. I like the tunability and insanely good handling, where the arrma limitless and street bash truck are just insane amounts of power, and honestly I think that's one of the biggest problems of today's RC cars is just too much power. Even for the veteran driver. 6s this, 8s that, oh look I put 12s in a rustler hehe - I get it, power is cool, but it overwhelms what should be a fun, capable, well-rounded RC car IMO. To each their own.

    I bet a Slash4x4 setup for pavement would actually do pretty dang good too.

    -Mike

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    612
    I think you are right about the the combination of rtr and lots of power out of the box for a big segment of the market that doesn’t really want to wrench on it. Nothing wrong with that of course if they vote with their wallet

    That brings me back to the rollers. I’ve personally had good luck with traxxas electronics but no one can deny that on this forum, whenever people talk about the vxl esc’s, the common themes are

    “I ditched mine and got a castle/HW as soon as I got it”

    “My vxl-3s overheats on 3s, which castle/HW should I get”

    “Need more power, which castle/HW is best for slash”

    And so on.

    So the more hands on hobbyist people are basically buying traxxas as a roller as it is, and the after market is flooded with vxl-3s that no one buys, and the vxl-4 and 6 have a huge foot print that only weird people like me spend hours trying to put them into say a Sl4sh lcg chassis. To date I have 7 slash lcg or hcg and Rustl4r outfitted with vxl6s or vxl-4s but I don’t see many others doing that. It works for me since ebay is full of people selling the vxl 6/4 by both chop shops and people who buy new cars and immediately put in a castle or HW or maybe even Tekin

    Obviously traxxas needs to do what makes them money so if their data says it’s still more profitably selling rtr cars with electronics that some people who tinker don’t really like, that’s what it is. But it is still odd to see a forum hosted by traxxas being so casual with the most busy forums devoted to people using aftermarket electronics. I mean who stil pays retail for vxl-6s systems? No one does that because everyone can find a udr motor + esc for under 190 all day long.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 05-10-2020 at 02:37 PM.

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    114
    I know that the Traxxas Slash is a heavy truck but I have been using the VXL geared 31 76 and I have never had any overheating problems on my Bandit. Everyone always wants to complain though so I kind of take it as a grain of salt. maybe I just don't abused my trucks enough but all these problems I hear people having what there it is differentials charger fuses driveshafts etc. maybe I should just drive my trucks harder but I mean I don't exactly baby them either maybe I've just gotten lucky but people just love to bash Traxxas about all this stuff, I personally have never had any problems. And any more power in the case of my xl5 conversion trucks it would mean uncontrollable Wheeling which I guess is what some people want.
    I did voice type this article so that is why there are a few weird words.
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    N Dakota USA
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerTucker View Post
    I know that the Traxxas Slash is a heavy truck but I have been using the VXL geared 31 76 and I have never had any overheating problems on my Bandit. Everyone always wants to complain though so I kind of take it as a grain of salt. maybe I just don't abused my trucks enough but all these problems I hear people having what there it is differentials charger fuses driveshafts etc. maybe I should just drive my trucks harder but I mean I don't exactly baby them either maybe I've just gotten lucky but people just love to bash Traxxas about all this stuff, I personally have never had any problems. And any more power in the case of my xl5 conversion trucks it would mean uncontrollable Wheeling which I guess is what some people want.
    I did voice type this article so that is why there are a few weird words.
    I feel like I’m
    In the same camp as you. I don’t baby my trucks, but I don’t find myself breaking all the “common” weak points that hardcore bashers are always shredding.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier nebulous.cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seattle by summer, AZ by Winter
    Posts
    327
    Dudes, one of the guys I usually bash with just literally destroys his slash every single time. His trucks literally run on money. You could practically zip tie his throttle trigger and you wouldn't tell the difference.

    He doesn't wonder why things break, but believe me, there are guys out there that just like breaking stuff.

    I drive my cars coming from a race or real life performance driving standpoint. I like to tweak suspension, settings, and get them to drive as good as possible, and I try to be a good driver as well. Of course I still love jumps and a good tumble, but I almost never break anything to be honest. I love to go fast and drive hard, but I try relatively hard to avoid guaranteed destruction.

    Also, ran my rustler vxl 31/76 on 3s too and never overheated, even mowing through grass and off road. Lol.

    -Mike

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    114
    Also, ran my rustler vxl 31/76 on 3s too and never overheated, even mowing through grass and off road. Lol.

    -Mike
    Quote didn't work. Hmm. Well, welcome to the 31/76 club!
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    695
    Canít do this with your e-revo 2
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4K79q9ycy44
    Not bashing traxxas. (Mainly drive my c-maxx) But no need to bash arrma.......


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    Canít do this with your e-revo 2
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4K79q9ycy44
    Not bashing traxxas. (Mainly drive my c-maxx) But no need to bash arrma......
    I feel like this is irrelevant
    1. Because no one will ever bash their car that hard
    2. You can't spell X Maxx
    3. Literally no one is bashing arrma. Mike said he personally didn't own one or care to own one, and immediately after went and complimented them on their power! And yes, both Arrma and Traxxas both have reliability problems, because they both are way overpowered!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DOJUpPPqAhU
    I'll stick with the E Revo
    That's just my personal opinion!
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerTucker View Post
    I feel like this is irrelevant
    1. Because no one will ever bash their car that hard
    2. You can't spell X Maxx
    3. Literally no one is bashing arrma. Mike said he personally didn't own one or care to own one, and immediately after went and complimented them on their power! And yes, both Arrma and Traxxas both have reliability problems, because they both are way overpowered!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DOJUpPPqAhU
    I'll stick with the E Revo
    That's just my personal opinion!
    1. People actually do bash that hard at arrma (because the traxxasís were broken already)
    2. Lol ever heard of texting
    3. Plenty of people bash arrma (because no-one bashes traxxas) Mike??? Whoís that lol
    Traxxas? Overpowered? Stock? He!! No!
    The stock stuff either burns up or catches fire in a week or two.
    Arrma only had two problems with one esc letting out the magic smoke and their current transmitter.
    Traxxas has had multiple problems including the x-maxx stock esc multiple times etc etc.
    Kevin Talbot!!! You think he bashes harder than Rich Duperbash!!! Lol
    Iím done ranting now lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier nebulous.cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seattle by summer, AZ by Winter
    Posts
    327
    I'm Mike. Lol. I put it after every single reply I put on the forum.

    To me, there's no pride in breaking parts. To some bashers, I think they like to present their folded truck and say "look what I made!" to each their own.

    I'm not bashing arrma, every brand has their own difficulties, including Traxxas too. Both brands make crazy powerful kits, but I just prefer Traxxas because of their legendary support, and availability of parts. I'm in college, and I'm all over the west coast, multiple times a year. And guess what, out in the desert here I have to drive 2 hours to find arrma parts. No thanks.

    And, they don't make popular nitros. Double no thanks.
    To each their own, I ain't hating, it's just not for me! Lol.

    -Mike

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by Overpowerxmaxx View Post
    1. People actually do bash that hard at arrma (because the traxxas’s were broken already)
    2. Lol ever heard of texting
    3. Plenty of people bash arrma (because no-one bashes traxxas) Mike??? Who’s that lol
    Traxxas? Overpowered? Stock? He!! No!
    The stock stuff either burns up or catches fire in a week or two.
    Arrma only had two problems with one esc letting out the magic smoke and their current transmitter.
    Traxxas has had multiple problems including the x-maxx stock esc multiple times etc etc.
    Kevin Talbot!!! You think he bashes harder than Rich Duperbash!!! Lol
    I’m done ranting now lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I browse arrma forum once in a while and even today let’s be objective, it seems their owners have many, many problems with brand new cars from arrma as well. Leaking shocks, broken diffs, people selling theirs out of frustration, etc. it’s not like all their cars can be slammed into dirt jump faces all day long and keep taking it. If I read it correctly even the car Rich was running was using a fairly pricy m2c brace and a bunch of other aftermarket parts.

    8s XMaxx and 6s e revos are absolutely overpowered for 99% of rc car buyers. Now sure, Traxxas can try to make their cars survive bigger stunts, but then where is the limit? Product engineers make prototypes based on what wear and tear a typical rc car buyer is likely to inflict, not what people on youtube do to attract subscribers.

    This doesn’t have to be a traxxas vs arrma debate, in fact my point was originally that traxxas may want to consider doing what arrma is doing for on road basher. Traxxas tried with the stampede kit but I’m not a big fan of it since you pay all that for a lower brushed spec kit. Do I expect a high quality roller to be available? I don’t know. Proline tried it with pro mt 4x4 recently and I think they had a hard time moving them.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 05-11-2020 at 12:09 PM.

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    695
    If they do anything itíll be the traxxas xo1.5 and will be 150mph

    And chances of that 0.000000000000000000000000001%


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    I'm Mike. Lol. I put it after every single reply I put on the forum.

    To me, there's no pride in breaking parts. To some bashers, I think they like to present their folded truck and say "look what I made!" to each their own.

    I'm not bashing arrma, every brand has their own difficulties, including Traxxas too. Both brands make crazy powerful kits, but I just prefer Traxxas because of their legendary support, and availability of parts. I'm in college, and I'm all over the west coast, multiple times a year. And guess what, out in the desert here I have to drive 2 hours to find arrma parts. No thanks.

    And, they don't make popular nitros. Double no thanks.
    To each their own, I ain't hating, it's just not for me! Lol.

    -Mike
    Hey man you know it the arrma people can be a little bit weird sometimes. And Kevin Talbot stands for the normal bashers out there who just drive there RC car like normal people. Traxxas is the brand that doesn't require a hundred fifty foot jumps to make their cars look good. they (Uber Arrma Supporters) have to keep convincing themselves that arrma makes better products and is a better company overall and not just another puppet of horizon hobby. Not sure why he's saying that we are all bashing Arrma
    Gonna end this argument here before the Mods come after us.
    Last edited by TruckerTucker; 05-11-2020 at 12:32 PM.
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    114
    Accidental post
    Last edited by TruckerTucker; 05-11-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier nebulous.cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seattle by summer, AZ by Winter
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerTucker View Post
    Gonna end this argument here before the Mods come after us.
    Well said brother.
    Yeah I really enjoy my Traxxas vehicles for the sake of driving, not crashing. It's similar to why I ride motorcycles (even though I dumped that into a ditch too lol)

    I wish onroad was more popular. It's really fun imo. People just can't handle the idea that an onroad rc car... Can't go off road?? Wow who would have guessed, yeah it's built for tarmac, and unless it's a rally car, basically will not work at all off road.

    That's what most of the people I meet say when they hear I have onroad stuff. They all just dream of jumps, slinging dirt, and mud.

    Bummer, cus onroad has the potential to be insanely fast, and not just in a straight line! But today's hobbyists aren't interested.

    -Mike

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    612
    The xo-1 showed that you don’t need a dedicated narrow arm platform for on road. When you look at them, Aside from the on road aerodynamic bits, the only thing that truly differentiates the xo-1 from a slash 4x4 are the shock towers and shocks. In fact bolt the xo-1 shocks to a slash 4x4 and you are nearly to a road car once you change the bumpers.

    So be it an xo-1 roller or a slash 4x4 with some xo-1 type add ones, either way it would be nice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •