RC Enthusiast

ESC XL-5 fast blink green light

It just started happening yesterday. Only saw fast flashing red light info in the manual. Originally the transmitter light was flashing red slowly, so we put in new batteries. No change on the ESC. Unplugged truck battery, tried holding the EZ button to change profiles, trying reprogramming the ESC, tried binding again, nothing. At one point some combination of fiddling did work, then it happened again, and again. It was pretty cold out yesterday, about 40F. I noticed that the receiver light was not on too while this was happening. It seems to be loosing connection.

While the light is blinking you can hear the servos twitching and sometime it would just **** the wheels full right and hold there until you unplug the battery.

We trimmed the antenna straw just before running it that day, which makes me think it has something to do with this but we were careful not to cut any of the wire at all and during all of the trouble shooting the transmitter was only inches from the receiver, so I don't think it is the problem.

Any ideas?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    You say you tried to re calibrate ESC ?
    To me this sounds like what it could be.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u1jYwPzQ8i8
    Sometimes recalibrating takes a few attempts to “take”
    If not that, cutting your antenna wire COULD be the culprit.

RC Enthusiast
    I tried programming it but it won't let you while it's blinking and it starts blinking right when you turn it on. I've never seen it before. I wish I knew what that specific error pattern meant, but I haven't found a straight answer to that yet.

I'm actually leaning more away from it being the antenna, since that actual antenna is the same original length, we just trimmed down the straw about two inches. While this is happening the transmitter is literally inches from the receiver antenna.

Maybe there was some moisture in the box or something. I took it apart and it didn't look like it, but it was fine all day today.

RC Qualifier
    You didn’t open the box yet? Maybe one of the receiver wires is loose or unplugged ? I think the ESC wore to the RX being loose or unplugged could do this . ( I hope it is something simple like that )
    If it IS that you’ll probably have to recalibrate AfTer you get it plugged back in.
    Yeah, cutting the plastic tube shouldn’t have done anything negative.
    Last edited by Dakratfink; 05-10-2020 at 10:45 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I did open the box and even looked at the board in the receiver and all looked fine. I guess I'll just contact traxxas if it happens again. I just figured if I knew what the lights indicated I could just fix it myself since I'm an auto diag guy by trade. You have to know how the system works though.

Thanks for all the replies though!

RC Qualifier
    If the wire is neither cut nor kinked, then maybe it was a bit of moisture.
    If you aired it out and now it works, that could explain it. Doesn’t take much.
    I’ve had that happen before. If so you got lucky there was no damage.

My other thought was the radio. Fast green means the esc is unhappy with, or missing the signal.
    Check batteries, replace or recharge. Check battery compartment for loose contacts or corrosion.