RC Racer

Rustler road tire advice

Okay, so i have a rustler vxl 2wd and I had two sets of stock tires, one was an old, set that was just laying around and I was using them and they blew up, no problem though, they were really old and worn down. So now that I have one set of stock tires, which I want to save for off-road and dirt. I want a pair of tires for pretty much only on-road, maybe sometimes on gravel. I am keeping the stock front tires, so it would I need tires that are the game size, I don't really care if they look different. Any advice, is helpful, let me know your opinion! Also let me know if I'm missing any information that you would need to know!

RC Qualifier
    Proline makes the trencher lp that was specifically with rustler 2wd in mind

https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...unted-raid.asp

I think the Bandito st is pretty good for the rustler too but may not handle gravel as well as trenchers.

https://www.duratrax.com/tires/2-8stadiumtruck.html

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Proline makes the trencher lp that was specifically with rustler 2wd in mind

https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...unted-raid.asp

I think the Bandito st is pretty good for the rustler too but may not handle gravel as well as trenchers.

https://www.duratrax.com/tires/2-8stadiumtruck.html
    +1 for trenchers. They're sweet. Come with changeable inset hubs which allow you to burn through the rears then swap fronts and rears.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zalphen View Post
    +1 for trenchers. They're sweet. Come with changeable inset hubs which allow you to burn through the rears then swap fronts and rears.

I had seen the swappable hub prolines at my LHS. I thought that would be for being able to swap from differ size hubs and or offsets . The ability to swap front and rear offset to allow rotating hadn’t even occurred to me.

RC Competitor
    I've got the Traxxas Anaconda Tires (3773A) tires and like them. They are around 30$ a pair. They have 2 kinds, the set for the front is a little less $ but you can't swap them to the rear. I've seen those for about 25\27$ on Amazon I just got 2 for the rear so I can rotate them & make them last longer. I've used them on dirt & low grass (lawn) and it was fine. Tread wear has been good. I have 3 2WD Rustlers and have them on all 3 & they work great. Lots of grip.
    When I search for 3773 (A) on Amazon it finds both kinds, so be careful when you order them, if you do.

RC Racer
    I like the trenchers, but I want tires that are more for on road. Eventually I might get the trenchers. Are the anacondas the same size as stock, or do I need to get two sets like you did? Same question for the banditos. If they are different sized would I need to change the gearing?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    JConcepts GLocs. I will say not road tire is good for gravel. These tires are internally baffled to expand less and are good to about 70ish mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Will something like this work? Could I still use the stock front tires with these?https://www.amazon.com/JConcepts-G-L...ustomerReviews

RC Racer
    What about slick tires without traction, would those be good for the road? I could just use the stock ones for gravel and anything else.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAXXASAXXART View Post
    What about slick tires without traction, would those be good for the road? I could just use the stock ones for gravel and anything else.
    Slicks are okay if you warm them up first and the road doesnít have too much dust/gravel. Are you thinking about more like proline prime or more like 1/8 road tires like the grp?mine behave like itís on ice until warm but then they grip well until their hit debris. For all around use on hard surface I would still go with some treads.

RC Racer
    I remember that car from another thread, weren't you playing around with the wing? The slick tires were just a though. Do they make anacondas that are the same size as stock rustler tires?

RC Competitor
    I found the rear ones, they are 5576R https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H3Z17M...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    I used them in the front & rear. They say the offset is more for the front but they work fine for me in the rear to. The biggest difference is the center part, where they bolt in. If you look at these it's "indented" and they go onto the wheel nut better, providing more support. I don't have any issue with letting them warm up or anything. They are great out of the box. They are even better right after the rain. You can really drift with them even on the black top (street).

RC Racer
    Those look nice!!!!! Could I use those on the rear and stock ones on the front? Or do I need two sets? It said in the description, "Designed for the rear of Traxxas nitro vehicles or the front of Traxxas electric vehicles that use a 2.8" rim" So they are front tires for electric and rear for nitro? Those tires look like what I'm looking for, I'm just a little confused!

RC Competitor
    I had anacondas. They wear quick and when I say quick I mean quick. Also horrid on anything other than pavement/cement.

RC Racer
    Are they the same size as stock though? Do they wear as quick as the stock tires?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Anacondas are awful. Yes they wear quick, they balloon like crazy, and donít grip anything well. GRPís must be heated up, traction compound works. Iíve made some good passes on them.S4ís. Foams are the best. But for tooling around I still go to LP GLocs. Iíve heard good things about Duratrax.

RC Competitor
    I know it says Front wheels but they will fit on the back to, I have them on 3 different Rustlers, front and back. it's the offset they are talking about. The 2.8 is the same size as stock. I've had them on mine for a good 2 1\2 years & still going. One set on the Rustler I got last year and we just got a 3rd Rustler in Feb and I put them on. All are same ones & work fine on them. I don't have any issues with them having to heat up and 2 of the 3 Rustlers are in training mode. If anything they would handle better not worse if they do warm up. Some times they have so much grip they will flip making a sharp turn. So far they have been durable. If you're going for speed runs, they might not be what you want. If you talking about zipping around on the street, most of the time, they have been great for me (times 3). We're only running 2S's (5800 series batteries) in our VXL's right now and I have no complaints. I love to run it at full speed & slide the back end around then take off. Traction on cut crass isn't the greatest but they will run\move. I put the home made ramp near the curb and we run up from the street, hit the ramp and land on my lawn (low grass) and the tires work fine. If it's high grass, they don't work. If you're on a street to gravel road and back kind of thing, I think you would be fine. I've used mine on dirt roads and yes they don't grip greatest but they worked till I put the off road ones back on.
    You could keep the front stock ones on and just get a set for the rear & you should be fine. I just wanted mine to be the same so I got 2 sets. Then my front "off road" tires don't wear out as fast, but that's my preference.
    I don't have any issues with ballooning, but I'm on a 2S (and out of training mode) and they are great.

RC Racer
    This is awkward, two people are saying the anacondas are bad, and one person is saying they are great.

RC Racer
    Traxxassaxxart, people love to complain. Annocondas are fine tires. I've used them for 6 years and never had issues. If you want an on road only tire, they are your best bet Traxxas wise.
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

RC Racer
    Okay, right now they seem like my best bet. These seem like the right anacondas. If I buy these, can I use stock front tires? If not I might get two sets like 1sweetv6 said and swap them out. https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Anaco...ustomerReviews

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerTucker View Post
    Traxxassaxxart, people love to complain. Annocondas are fine tires. I've used them for 6 years and never had issues. If you want an on road only tire, they are your best bet Traxxas wise.
    Hard to keep traction with pizza cutters. Iím not complaining. Just stating facts. They sell GLocs in proper Rustler offsets. I donít settle for fine.

RC Competitor
    Bruh, unless you have your TSM cranked and/or you don't like to spin the anacondas grip dissolve hella fast. Worse than the stock nubs. I'm only speaking from my experience but I do run with zero TSM and I do have a 3S

RC Racer
    What about the proline street fighter? Are those any good? I think these are for the rustler.https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...unted-raid.asp

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAXXASAXXART View Post
    What about the proline street fighter? Are those any good? I think these are for the rustler.https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...unted-raid.asp
    They are nice.

The anacondas have decent rubber in my opinion, but the ballooning kills their handling at high speeds. I have them on my Jato and it feels like driving on stilts at high speeds. Mediocre. Good for bashing, but when you want better handling, it's a little lame. They do wear out kinda quick.

Honestly I have super good luck with foams for onroad. I use foams for all my nitro touring cars of all sizes for parking lot bashing and street racing my buddies, and they actually grip pretty well and don't wear crazy fast as long as you don't do donuts. Just like for the Jato, the famous "Jaco foam tires" I think is the right way to go for grip on the street. Zero ballooning, more companies make foam tires of the right sizes nowadays, they can be found INSANELY cheap some places, better balanced, and no foams to worry about getting crud into.

Like I said, I use foams a ton because the grip is awesome for my pavement, but if you like doing burnouts, donuts, or other throttle happy activities, don't expect any actually grippy street tire to last you that long, especially with brushless. So when I use my real grippy foams on especially the touring cars, I drive them like how touring cars were meant to be driven. For the Jato when I get foams, it will be for speed runs, and parking lot racing.

I keep the stock rubber tires or cheap rubber tires for the drifts, burnouts, spinning, and all that craziness, to keep my wallet happy.

-Mike

RC Competitor
    I have a set of Anacondas, all 2wd Front offset, that I have for my Rustler 2wd and 4x4 for an optional road tire. I use them mostly to not unnecessarily kill tread on the Talons I run on both the trucks more than anything else.

My Rustler 2wd uses Slash rear arms and camber links, the additional offset brings that width back and lets me freely rotate tires. They are also conveniently the same offset as the 4x4. Win.

Once the Anacondas are dead I'll look into something else. 2 came with my 2wd Rustler, only had to buy a pair.

RC Racer
    Thank you everyone for your help!!! After all of that I ended up getting 2.8" proline street fighters. Maybe someday I'll try the anacondas or the trenchers. I got some great advise and I'll try to remember to tell you what I think of the street fighters.

RC Racer
    The street fighters came. They Are really nice! They have lots of grip and traction on the road. I am going to try and save them to last a long time. They came with the front and rear offsets, which is great. they are the same size as stock front one, so that is good! I put the screws in backwards originally, so I had to do it twice. LOL! It is ok.