RC poster

Arrow Traxxas Slash 1/10 2WD "fun" accesories

Hello,

I have ponied up and ordered my son a Traxxas Slash 1/10 Scale 2WD for his upcoming 10th birthday. He's great with tools, loves engines and cars, can use power tools and loves quality RC cars (we ran into some men at a park while camping and now he is hooked - and I like it too)

What are some fairly low-cost "fun" accessories that I could tell his grandparents would be good for a b-day gift? What are some items that will help him enjoy this truck? Any help is appreciated.

I'm thinking - shells (which ones fit?), tires, batteries...etc.

Sorry - I am a 100% newbie but am looking forward to having fun and learning with my son on this.

Thank you

With regards to fun I think youre on the right track on what to get. I assume you ordered a brushed version? Get a 2s lipo battery and some good tires. The kind of tires you get depend on the surface being mostly driven on. Look at the proline website there are a lot of bodies available for the slash. Getting a clear body, painting it and adding decals is half the fun for me.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NYbandit33 View Post
    With regards to fun I think youre on the right track on what to get. I assume you ordered a brushed version? Get a 2s lipo battery and some good tires. The kind of tires you get depend on the surface being mostly driven on. Look at the proline website there are a lot of bodies available for the slash. Getting a clear body, painting it and adding decals is half the fun for me.
    Thanks for the tips. Looks like this is the page - correct? https://www.prolineracing.com/traxxas-slash/

So... can I assume that any 1/10 shell will fit? Or how can I know which shells will fit?

For batteries - what do you recommend? Any of these?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas-slash-parts/c926

Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-18-2020 at 02:21 AM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    In my 2wd Raptor I ran the traxxas 2s 5000mah before upgrading to a brushless system and going to 3s. Worked well for me. Traxxas p/n: 2842X

RC poster
    Thank you -

Do any 1/10 shells fit? Or is there something i need to look for?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjornstahl View Post
    Thank you -

Of you want a “bolt on” shell that fits just like the Stock short course one does, you’ll need to find ones that specifically say they are for short course shell or more specifically the slash

RC Qualifier
    Thank you -

Most reputable companies will specify fitment for Slash.
    Just 1/10 isn’t a guarantee. Shells for short course, MT, truggy etc vary in size but all 1/10.
    Pay attention to wheelbase and width if not specified for Slash.

Training mode is a good thing!

Spare batteries and a good charger are the best accessories to keep the fun going.
    2S Lipo is better than NiMH batteries.
    I’d say spare parts before tires. You’ll be going through bash faze and airplane faze...
    You’ll need some castor blocks, fr. bearing carriers, for sure...
    then maybe control arms..., shock towers...? Spares can save the day...

Do some research on tires and buy later when you kill the stock ones...

RC poster
    thanks - great advice!

RC Qualifier
    Also get yourself a cheap heat gun. Excessive heat kills motors.
    Keep an eye on the temps and take a cool down break when needed.

RC poster
    Hello,

What are some fairly low-cost "fun" accessories that I could tell his grandparents would be good for a b-day gift? What are some items that will help him enjoy this truck? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
    Not sure what vehicle you ordered but this is my suggestion (if you can find one) 58076-2*

The #58076 denotes the Slash in the VXL trim. the numbers after hyphen (-) denote livery and such.

Now here's where the (if you can find one) factors in. The preceding 2 after (-) denotes (on Board Audio) which has been discontinued from manufacture in the two top trims now (VXL - Ultimate) but remains in the entry XL-5 / T12-550 packages.

Since this is for a 10 yr. old nothing lights their face up bigger than hearing this monster engine come alive and respond to their throttle control. and the entry level one with it included sells at most places for $269. ( 58034-2 ).

So at minimum I would suggest getting a 58034-2 (come in Red/Blue/White/Black).

But.. The benefits of the 58076 over the 58034 for beginning and young racers is the inclusion of a LCG (low center of gravity) chassis and TSM (Traxxas Stability Management). Now many argue this takes away from true RC'ing experience (basically training wheels). But nothing is fun for a kid / beginner about flipping over every time you turn or never being able to drive straight and losing control when you throttle up fast.

The difference is astounding as far as "Fun Factor" is concerned for kids/beginners.

So outside of finding a remaining (-2*) in the premium versions at a local shop/e-tailer. you would have to build one.

And if going that route (Building) the 58076 is an easier path (just add sound / possibly chassis) vs rebuilding a 58034 to spec (new receiver/controller/chassis) not to mention as you and your son grow in hobby you'll want the better VXL system.

But two things that will be universal for "Fun Factor" no matter what you choose is:

1: Set your Slash to "Training Mode" this will prolong about everything to do with your slash ie: battery life/runtime, tire wear, parts breakage/repairs, motor/esc life/heat. It is still plenty fast and I would say should be considered the only mode for those without a LCG chassis and TSM for kids/beginners.

2: A 7600mah 2S Lipo: This battery coupled with "Training mode" lasts me usually a min of 40mins. (Running Hard) most often over an hour and enough to feel I've had a complete session.

Hopefully this wasn't too long winded. Just wanted to include things that were not mentioned or suggested that I feel are important factors to consider for fun value.

Jim.

RC poster
    Thanks a ton Jim - that's a really solid reply. I appreciate the time you put into posting that!

RC Racer
    As the others have stated, a custom body is by far one of the most fun things about the hobby.
    https://www.prolineracing.com/short-...-truck-bodies/ There are other companies that make short course bodies as well, but I prefer Proline as they tend to use thicker lexan, which is more durable. I've had Parma bodies as well, and they tend to be much thinner... lighter weight, but not nearly as rugged.
    The best parts about buying an aftermarket body is a full list...
    1: You/He gets to pick out the style of the truck, anywhere from vintage to modern
    2: You/He also gets to pick out the color scheme of the truck, thus making it unique and one of a kind
    3: You both get some quality time painting and finishing the body together.

In terms of driving fun, Jim hit it pretty spot on... big capacity battery for long run times (more fun!) and a good charger to keep that battery in good condition when not in use.

Tires/rims/lights/etc can all be fun if you really like tinkering and building, but overall, not 100% required to go out and have a good time. Once he gets used to running the truck and really has the hang of it, then possibly consider swapping tires/rims to a suitable tread pattern and get some extra traction in whatever conditions you are driving on.

RC Enthusiast
    Just go to youtube and watch as much rc videos as possible.
    Expect to break stuff and spend tons of money lol

But in all seriousness its a great thing to do with your boy amd I can't say how much it means to hear a father actually doing stuff with his son.
    Already doing it right even if youre a newb.

My son and I have been doing rc rock crawling about 3 years and he has a rig better than mine and he loves it.
    I got a slash and hes like Uhhhh dad are you for real what are you doing?
    Haha gotta get my go fast fix too

Anyway just go on youtube and LEARN like crazy.
    Get a subscription to RC CAR ACTION. Visit you local hobby shop. Have fun! And never look back!
    Last edited by Shinchu; 06-15-2020 at 09:11 PM.