RC poster

Stampede 4x4 frying ESC's - fastest 50 bucks I've wasted in a long time

Hi,

Can't seem to figure it out.
    Have a standard 4x4 Stampede XL5 ESC, 12T Titan motor and have recently burnt out my ESC.

Not sure how that happened. So, I ordered a new XL5 ESC and as soon as I plug it in and connect a battery to it, the ESC starts heating up.

Tried 2 different batteries and same result. When I hooked the whole thing up to the motor and receiver, I had about 10 seconds until smoke started coming from my new XL5. It's dead.

What are the chances of me frying 2 ESC's?
    Anyone see what I'm missing here? Why would it get hot by just attaching a battery to it?

Thx!

RC poster
    Hi,
    Did you use 3S Lipos?
    They aren't supported for the xl5 escs..
    Greets

RC poster
    Afraid not, simple 3000 mAH 8.4V NIMH.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Crmx View Post
    Hi,

Can't seem to figure it out.
    Have a standard 4x4 Stampede XL5 ESC, 12T Titan motor and have recently burnt out my ESC.

Not sure how that happened. So, I ordered a new XL5 ESC and as soon as I plug it in and connect a battery to it, the ESC starts heating up.

Tried 2 different batteries and same result. When I hooked the whole thing up to the motor and receiver, I had about 10 seconds until smoke started coming from my new XL5. It's dead.

What are the chances of me frying 2 ESC's?
    Anyone see what I'm missing here? Why would it get hot by just attaching a battery to it?

Thx!
    No disrespect on your abilities but did you connect the the esc plug in backwards in the rx, or did your battery tabs come out and were installed backwards.
    Our first xl-5 lasted 4 yrs with no issues on nimh's and 2s lipo.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    No disrespect on your abilities but did you connect the the esc plug in backwards in the rx, or did your battery tabs come out and were installed backwards.
    Our first xl-5 lasted 4 yrs with no issues on nimh's and 2s lipo.
    None taken - no worries. I was thinking the same but no - you can't even plug the ESC into the receiver the wrong way, shape of the connector won't allow it and the battery cables are still factory connected.

It still heated up even when not connected to the motor. And when connected to motor I had wheels turning but no steering. I'm starting to think there's a short circuit in the servo or something.

I'm taking it into a repair shop this week - let's see if they can come up with something.

Thanks anyway!

RC poster
    Can you send pictures of the wiring and the broken esc:
    ESC to Motor
    ESC to receiver

Greets

RC Competitor
    Man, that is strange. We killed 6 titan motors in 4 months, brushless it is for us going forward. The ESCs though have been fine...

I did have a couple brushless ESCs go pop though!

Traxxas Marshal
    This seems like a good time to contact Traxxas Support; they should be able to help you troubleshoot such an issue.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TschaaaaaaaaaA View Post
    Can you send pictures of the wiring and the broken esc:
    ESC to Motor
    ESC to receiver

Greets
    I'll get the pics up asap - need to get a break from work.

Hi, I contacted them - got a good description + couple of procedures to run through - but no joy.
    Since I'm outside of US, I have to work via the shop where I bought the car. They only just opened up recently due to the covid situation. Swing by there and see what they think.

Yes, wondering if this isn't the moment to just upgrade to brushless...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-23-2020 at 02:00 AM. Reason: merge