Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Build Thread x3

1914 Body mounts

Quote Originally Posted by TRAXXASAXXART View Post
    Cool, your project is really coming along!
    Thank you! It's looking pretty good so far.

Minor update here. I found some new/old stock Traxxas 1914 body mounts on eBay for cheap. I figure they're good enough for my purposes. I don't see the need to spend over $40 for aluminum body mounts.

We installed one last night.

I'm stumped on a seemingly simple problem. I can't find the answer doing Google image search - should I use the same fastener for shocks and body mount? It looks that way in the exploded parts diagram with the original plastic shock tower but with an aluminum shock tower I have all those holes available. It seems to me I can fasten the body mount using one pair of screws and mount the shocks somewhere else with a different pair of screws. Any suggestions?

Working from home

I do love working from home. Today's post is hardly worth the keystrokes but anyway I installed the second body mount. Still waiting to hear anything back from Integy regarding my warranty claim for the orange bulkhead and shock tower.

Hot Racing wheelie bar

Super excited! A pair of these came in today.

I sat my boys down and walked them through the installation. First we, made sure all the screws had Loctite.
    I've read complaints of these things falling apart right away so I want to avoid that. They actually seem well assembled.

We did the blue chassis first and installed the rear shock tower and camber links at the same time.

We identified a small problem with the screws for the camber links that came with the Atomik shock tower. They stick out so far they interfere with the gear cover. Before I start modifying anything, I'm going to buy the RPM blue gear cover. If the RPM cover is shaped just the slightest bit smaller than stock they'll solve the problem. If not, I'll just swap out the Atomik screws for the original Traxxas shoulder screws.

After the blue one, we moved to the orange one.

The Integy shock tower came with screws to hold turnbuckles for camber links but I intend to use RPM links for the two bashers. So I'll still need to buy several of those.

We're all pretty happy with how things have turned out so far.

I have STRC hinge pins coming in the mail for the rear control arms for all three cars. I also have the Traxxas orange rear control arms coming in the mail. I already have the RPM blue arms. Once all that stuff comes in I can install the orange and blue control arms. I haven't yet purchased the black RPM arms for my black chassis.

After taking care of the control arms, my next step is to put a Hot Racing sealed differential in the Integy red gearbox I've been sitting on for the black chassis. I'll wait until August to do that. I've spent enough money this month.

Looking good. Bet the boys can't wait to get them finished and play. All the parts add up and then x3. I've spent so much getting old brushed rusty upgraded this month. I try not to think about it.. and and I only have 2 aluminum parts and 1 steel Hopups

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

STRC hinge pins

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Looking good. Bet the boys can't wait to get them finished and play. All the parts add up and then x3. I've spent so much getting old brushed rusty upgraded this month. I try not to think about it.. and and I only have 2 aluminum parts and 1 steel Hopups
    Thanks for the compliment Acidic01. I knew this was going to be expensive. At this point I can see it taking a year to build all three. I hope not but it's possible.

Yesterday two of three pairs of STRC hinge pins arrived for the rear control arms.

We got them installed on the blue chassis. I barely need to guide my son anymore. He's really figuring this out. We did have to sand the RPM control arms to get them to fit nicely on the Integy gear box.

I had ordered the 3555T orange control arms for the orange chassis but the vendor send the wrong part, an 8929T. The two parts don't even look similar and the part numbers aren't even close. Someone clearly was off their game packing envelopes that day. The vendor made it right by refunding my purchase without asking me to send the part back. Now I'm waiting on another vendor to send the right part.

I'm still waiting for Integy to resolve my warranty claim on their bulkhead and shock tower fitment problems. They offered $50 credit toward their online store. I accepted the offer but have yet to see the credit.

I'm starting to lean in a different direction for the black chassis. I still want to build a speed run car but I like the selection of bodies available for the Slash. So I'm thinking about a chassis extension and a body that resembles a '39 Ford.
    Last edited by Tiogaplanet; 07-24-2020 at 06:28 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Guess you'll have to get a maxx now, lol, jk! The slash bodies also look really cool to me.

Guess you'll have to get a maxx now, lol, jk! The slash bodies also look really cool to me.
    I'm already thinking about my next car but it won't be a maxx. I really like that Mustang. A Mustang is my dream car but I'm willing to settle for the RC variety.

These came in yesterday:

A LipoLock bumper and Traxxas heavy duty rear control arms. I am going to paint the bumper so I'm waiting for those supplies to come in. My youngest just finished installing the control arms.

He doesn't have the patience or the finger strength of his big brother but he still did a good job.

I got my warranty credit from Integy and bought a different bulkhead from the first one I ordered. Also purchased the same front shock tower as last time and I bought a bumper. I expect it will take at least a couple weeks for all that to arrive from California. Once it all comes in my boy can install the front control arms we've been sitting on.

I also ordered a Factory Works extension for the black chassis. I guess I've committed myself to a Slash body.

Chassis extension

These things came in today.

I won't bore you with the install of the RPM gear cover. That went on the blue chassis and I found that it doesn't solve the interference caused by the camber link pivot of the Atomik rear shock tower. No biggie, I'll just use the original Traxxas shoulder screws.

My daughter installed the Factory Works extension, the rear shock tower from Hobbypark, and the Slash body mount.

It was a learning experience now that I realize installing a wheelie bar compatible with the extension won't be so easy. I thought all six screws of the gearbox would be accessible but now I see that two of them are covered by the chassis.

I'm not out of ideas yet. Now I'm thinking that I can use the extension as a template to drill two new holes in the chassis, then cut the extension to drop it down and abut it to the chassis. That way the gearbox would come back down to its original level. I could then dispose of the shim between the chassis and the upper plate of the extension and use either a full-length skid plate or a wheelie bar to brace up the seem between the chassis and the cut extension. It will be a little longer before I get around to trying that.

I don't feel like hacking up the extension and then hacking up the chassis to fit nerf bars. Should I just convert the black chassis over to a Slash build? Thoughts?

Rpm has a wheelie bar and mount that just mounts on the transmission housing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Rpm has a wheelie bar and mount that just mounts on the transmission housing.
    I've looked at it. It is not compatible with my Integy gearbox. The gearbox is lacking the required screw holes for mount points. Another problem I have with the extension is that it raises the gearbox up. True, just a little bit but I still don't care for it.

LipoLock bumper

OK, I've decided to stick with a Rustler for the speed build. I really want the '39 Ford body but if I decide to go down that road I'll just get or build an actual Slash.

Tonight I installed the LipoLock bumper I bought a little while ago. Here it is all primed and painted black. Also shown is the back end with the extension removed.

I bought a Bonzaibar for a Slash over the weekend. I'm looking forward to that arriving. I bought the Slash model because it looks longer than the Rustler version. I expect the length will do more to minimize tipping up compared to the Rustler version.

Still waiting on Integy parts to come in the mail.

Bonzaibar and turnbuckles

Last night my daughter installed the Bonzaibar for me. It's nice having the kids do all the work.

While she was at it I had her install the Traxxas turnbuckle camber links. Just makes me want matching turnbuckles for the steering arms.

Integy's parts finally arrived for the orange chassis. We didn't have time to install them so that will come in another post. I was too busy fixing a TV that got damaged by a lightning storm last week.

Integy front end

I'm still not satisfied with the fit of Integy's parts! I bought a different bulkhead this time but there is still a slight difference in height between the bulkhead and the horizontal part of the shock tower. However, it's not as severe as the last bulkhead so I'm just going to live with it.

Here is the whole front end after my youngest did all the assembly. This is as far as we got tonight and we'll install this assembly on the chassis some other time.

Coming in the mail is a pre-painted body for the orange chassis. It's a very busy paint scheme that my boy picked for himself. I'm not going to argue that we should paint it ourselves because what he wants is more complicated than I want to paint.

My other son wants plain silver. I want red with a couple racing stripes. We can try that for doing our own simple paint jobs.

Also coming in the mail is a set of Atomik shocks for the blue chassis.

RC Qualifier
    I would recommend using tamiya color for painting the bodies. It has worked well for me and my slash platinum. I made it red with two silver racing stripes down the middle and the windows are transparent. I have had some problems with the stock rear shocks on my rusty in the past.

I would recommend using tamiya color for painting the bodies.
    Good to hear from you again, TRAXXASAXXART. I hope things are well. We'll definitely be using Tamiya paints. For the blue chassis we are going to paint a one-color silver with transparent windows. I am thinking two offset white stripes of different sizes going over the top of a solid red paint job for my speed build.

We had a busy weekend so I am a tad behind in updating our work. My youngest received his noisy body. He was quite happy with it. We didn't have any shoulder screws for the RPM camber links so I ordered those and he put it all together.

The Atomik shocks came in last night so my other boy put that together. I was surprised to find in buying Atomik's shock tower and their shocks that I still don't have the right hardware to put the two together. No combination of the shock spacers that came with the tower and the mounts that came with the shocks would give me a good spacing between the shocks and the tower. I went on Amazon and ordered aluminum spacers and washers from uxcell to get it looking right. If you look closely in the picture below you can tell there's no spacer behind the shocks. So that fix is still coming in the mail along with some 50wt oil with which to fill the shocks.

Also coming in the mail are rear hub carriers in orange from GPM and in blue from Coda Racing.

RC Enthusiast
    Great read and good luck with your project!

I find the RPM wheelie bar to work very well. You can add RPM rear bumper and motor protector too (It’s best to mount these three things together).

Also, you can always add a Stampede rear body mount to increase your selection of bodies from just stadium trucks.

Keep us informed of your builds
    Last edited by StampedeMachine; 08-25-2020 at 07:36 AM.

Shock mount spacers and rear hub carriers

Quote Originally Posted by StampedeMachine View Post
    Also, you can always add a Stampede rear body mount to increase your selection of bodies from just stadium trucks.
    You have blown my mind with this revelation. I already have the Stampede mount. The old 1914 kits I bought work for both cars. I showed my son the selection of Stampede bodies and he is taken with the Prographix body so far. I'll give him a week to think it over and decide before I order anything.

Yesterday the spacers from uxcell arrived. I'm still waiting for the blue anodized washers which may take up to two months to arrive. Also arrived yesterday was the rear hub carriers from Coda Racing.

The spacers look good behind the shocks and make the whole setup look much more deliberate instead of the ugly mess it was before. Looking forward to those blue washers to finish off the look around those shock mounts.

Stampede body

The Stampede body arrived last night and it doesn't look right at all on the Rustler. The rear body mount from the Stampede makes the "bed" of the body way too high, IMO. It is so high that the body has a rake from front to back. Even worse, the body holes in the front do not line up. Putting a Stampede body on a Rustler is not as cut and dry as it seems.

I'm going to buy some RPM adjustable body mounts and I think I need a body reamer too.

Also arrived last night are the blue anodized washers for the shock mounts and a pair of GPM caster blocks in orange. I should have that stuff installed tonight but the Stampede body will take much longer.
    Last edited by Tiogaplanet; 09-09-2020 at 05:35 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I have never tried mounting a stampede body, so I can't really help. I would just get a stadium truck or buggy body if it were me. Too bad it didn't work. If you can't find a use for it, you could just resell it to someone with a stampede. Good luck, too bad the wheel wells don't really line up either. You could just go and buy a stampede I guess......

Stampede body drama continues

Yeah, I have never tried mounting a stampede body, so I can't really help. I would just get a stadium truck or buggy body if it were me. Too bad it didn't work. If you can't find a use for it, you could just resell it to someone with a stampede. Good luck, too bad the wheel wells don't really line up either. You could just go and buy a stampede I guess......
    We've committed to the Stampede body mostly because I spent the money on it. I don't like the look but my son does and it is his truck so who am I to judge? I'm mostly frustrated because I was led to believe that getting into a Stampede body was as easy as buying the rear body mount. There is so much more to it than that, not to mention you need to buy RPM's body mounts. Sheesh. This set me back in time and cost but I'll get over it and my kid is happy.

I mounted the RPM rear body mount as low as I could. I'll use the original holes in the rear of the body. I bought a body reamer to cut new holes in the hood to match the front RPM body mount. I'll paint the body then fill the original holes with shoe goo and cover them over with the cotter pin-looking sticker on the Traxxas sheet. I should have my boy do all this work but test fitting the body was more time consuming than he had the attention for and the paint will take a steadier hand than he has.

The blue washers on the shock mounts look pretty good, if I do say so.

In other news, my other boy mounted up his GPM casters and rear hub and the Hobbypark shocks. I was suprised how much bigger they are than the Atomik shocks on the blue chassis. Just like we did for the blue chassis, I ordered orange spacers and washers to make the shock mounts look nice. Those are on the way.

Progress on the black chassis (mine) has fallen way behind but that OK, we've got time.

RC Qualifier
    Good to hear from you! Those rustlers are looking great!

RC Qualifier
    I tried putting my friend's stampede body on my rustler, and the front holes lined up. The body did go over the front bumper though, but a bigger rpm one might help. Idk if your body mount is set up different from my stock one or something. I saw that how on the stampede, the body mount is attached to the rear body mount for the rustler. I wonder is the stampede body mount needs to be flipped around from how it is mounted on the stampede so that it works on the rustler. I kind of like the look of the stampede body on the rustler, it looks more like a normal pickup, without the huge gaps in between the body and chassis. I hope this helped a little bit.

Stamped body fit

I tried putting my friend's stampede body on my rustler, and the front holes lined up. The body did go over the front bumper though, but a bigger rpm one might help.
    I had the same problem. The RPM mounts will not cure that particular problem which is why I will be punching new holes up front. The adjustable RPM mounts are handy in the rear so that the body can be mounted pretty low, just a bit higher than the rear shock tower.

Idk if your body mount is set up different from my stock one or something. I saw that how on the stampede, the body mount is attached to the rear body mount for the rustler. I wonder is the stampede body mount needs to be flipped around from how it is mounted on the stampede so that it works on the rustler.
    Not sure I follow you here but I did have to turn the front mount over compared to its orientation for the Rustler in order to support the higher hood of the Stampede body. I'm going for a look in which the body has no rake compared to the chassis. I haven't punched the hood holes yet but I am confident that when I do, the body will lie pretty level over the chassis.

I kind of like the look of the stampede body on the rustler, it looks more like a normal pickup, without the huge gaps in between the body and chassis. I hope this helped a little bit.
    My son wants the normal pickup look on his Rustler too. It's his truck after all so he may as well build it the way he wants it, within reasonable cost.

Coming in the mail is a bunch of random bits. Spacers and washers for shock mount points on the orange chassis are on the way as are STRC casters in red and STRC hinge pins for the black chassis. I've been sitting on a pair of STRC rear hub carriers for the black chassis and I need to get them and the casters installed. The next thing to come in the mail should be Coda Racing casters and steering knuckles in blue for the blue chassis.
    Last edited by Tiogaplanet; 09-23-2020 at 11:05 AM.

RC Qualifier
    [Typewriter noises] . . . Somewhere in the Eastwest . . .
    The trucks look awesome! I love that the color schemes match, though I am a bit concerned about visibility for the black car. Maybe put a white body with large black accents on it? Or a mainly red colour scheme with the black accents and a white to silver colored pinstripe?
    LONG LIVE THE PROFESSOR! Rest in peace, Mr. Peart.

Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    The trucks look awesome! I love that the color schemes match, though I am a bit concerned about visibility for the black car. Maybe put a white body with large black accents on it? Or a mainly red colour scheme with the black accents and a white to silver colored pinstripe?
    Thank you very much for the compliments. I hadn't considered visibility problems on the black chassis but I plan to go with a red body and maybe, just maybe, some white stripes. I'm on the fence about the stripes but I definitely want a red body. If I find that visibility is a problem during the speed runs I intend to do, I'll work a light kit into the car. Thank you for the ideas.

Casters and steering knuckles

A couple nights ago the casters and knuckles from Coda Racing arrived. My boy installed them last night.

I know I've still got a long way to go with all three cars but I feel like we're near done building these things. At the rate we're going it will still be after the new year before we're done but I'm able to name the handful of things we need before we're finished. For example: the clutch assemblies, drive shafts, stub axles, hubs, wheels, batteries, ESCs, radios and a charger. The black chassis still needs a body and I will put 17mm hub adapters on it too. Oh, and I do plan on using color-match braided loom on the wiring for all three cars.

I'm holding off on the body for the black chassis because I'm thinking I might use the Traxxas battery expansion kit and if I end up with a big ESC and fan I might need to cut a big hatch in the body to allow ventilation.

We still have some labor ahead of us, like aligning the wheels and using loctite on the shock and steering components we've been working on lately.

I plan on initially getting a pair of 3s batteries for the bashers so that I can then test fit the two of them in the black chassis to see how that will work for me going 6s in it. If it works then we will be able to swap all the batteries across all three cars if we need to.

RC Qualifier
    Man these are some nice trucks your building. I also build 2 of everything for me and my kid, keep them very similar but more power for me also. But yours sure are way better looking then mine. Almost be a shame to put a scratch on em.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiogaplanet View Post
    A couple nights ago the casters and knuckles from Coda Racing arrived. My boy installed them last night.

I know I've still got a long way to go with all three cars but I feel like we're near done building these things. At the rate we're going it will still be after the new year before we're done but I'm able to name the handful of things we need before we're finished. For example: the clutch assemblies, drive shafts, stub axles, hubs, wheels, batteries, ESCs, radios and a charger. The black chassis still needs a body and I will put 17mm hub adapters on it too. Oh, and I do plan on using color-match braided loom on the wiring for all three cars.

I'm holding off on the body for the black chassis because I'm thinking I might use the Traxxas battery expansion kit and if I end up with a big ESC and fan I might need to cut a big hatch in the body to allow ventilation.

We still have some labor ahead of us, like aligning the wheels and using loctite on the shock and steering components we've been working on lately.

I plan on initially getting a pair of 3s batteries for the bashers so that I can then test fit the two of them in the black chassis to see how that will work for me going 6s in it. If it works then we will be able to swap all the batteries across all three cars if we need to.
    That's awesome! 6s will be crazy, but if there were any trucks ready for it, it would be yours with all of those upgrades. I would recommend the hobbywing max8 esc which can take 3-6s lipo https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...ant=1701815620

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    Man these are some nice trucks your building. I also build 2 of everything for me and my kid, keep them very similar but more power for me also. But yours sure are way better looking then mine.
    Thank you! I really appreciate the compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    Almost be a shame to put a scratch on em.
    Oh, but we will.

I'm already thinking of an improved paint job. I'm thinking of buying another chassis, better sanding job, adhesion promoter for the base coat, and a wax coat afterward.

That's awesome! 6s will be crazy, but if there were any trucks ready for it, it would be yours with all of those upgrades. I would recommend the hobbywing max8 esc which can take 3-6s lipo https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...ant=1701815620
    Thanks for the recommendation!

GPM steering blocks

Three clutch assemblies arrived earlier this week. I'm going to save them for the weekend so we will have enough time to install all three at the same time.

Yesterday a pair of GPM steering blocks arrived in the mail. I briefly panicked when they didn't fit and then I realized I had the casters backwards. After that was straightened out I realized the Traxxas heavy duty control arms were too thick - they prevented the steering blocks from swinging out. I wanted my son to do the install but at this point I needed my Dremel to trim away some material on the back side of the control arm at the steering block. I was a little too heavy-handed on the first control arm and cut away too much material but I don't think I lost any strength from the part. I did a better job on the second control arm.

I tried to clean up the dust but I can tell from this picture that I need to give the car another blow-down with the air compressor.

Coming together

My boys are running out of things to do to their trucks. For each one of them I need wheels and tires, motors, ESCs, wire looms, radios and receivers. The black chassis is much further behind as I wait for parts that were delayed in shipping from New Jersey.

So all three now have the clutch assembly installed. No pictures of that. But I did take pictures of the drive shafts, stub axles and aluminum hubs the boys installed today. So, here's the orange chassis:

And here's just a glamor shot I took with the body mounted:

The blue chassis:

We have been slowly painting the Stampede Pro Graphix body for the blue chassis. By "we" I mean me because I'm not ready to let my boy spray paint something like this. I did let him practice with leftover paint on his old outdoor toys. He needs to learn to paint but he doesn't need to learn on his RC body - not yet anyway.

We masked the bed and painted it black. I didn't take a picture of the translucent silver applied but that's as far as we have made it. We still need to back it with white but the white paint is still in the mail. After that I plan to apply dull coat on the top of the bed to give it a rough-out appearance.

That's all for now. I have a business trip tomorrow and I don't plan to do any more until next weekend.

RC Qualifier
    Nice! Are you just using the stock driveshafts in those?

Nice! Are you just using the stock driveshafts in those?
    Yes, for the bashers I think stock will be fine. I haven't purchased driveshafts for the speed build because I want to look for something stronger and in red.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah the sock ones should be okay for them but I would definitely recommend getting stronger ones like you said if you will be running 6s. you can get hobbywing esc and motor combos for a good deal.

Came out all right

Today we finished the Stampede body by applying the stickers. This past week we finished applying the solid white backer to the translucent silver, then we applied dull coat to the pickup bed. I made some small errors but I chalk it up as a learning experience before doing the next body.

The Stampede body looks a little high on the Rustler chassis but my boy likes it and I need to wait until we have wheels and tires before I pass judgement.

We worked on the orange build today too. We installed orange spacers and washers to clean up the shock installation. I didn't bother taking any pictures of that.

I received a GPM spur gear cover for the black chassis but it doesn't fit quite right so I'm going to toss it aside for now.

I have STRC drive shafts coming in the mail for the black build. I'm still waiting for a pair of red STRC caster blocks to arrive.

I just bought a pair of the Traxxas 6774A wheels and tires. They are the ones that have the orange wheels. I want to test fit them on the orange and the blue chassis before I buy any more wheels.

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=Tiogaplanet;6559804]

I just bought a pair of the Traxxas 6774A wheels and tires.
    Cool I didn't even know that those wheels existed!

6774A test fit

The pair of 6774A wheels and tires came in. I only bought the pair because I wanted to test fit them before going whole-hog on buying wheels for two trucks. The proportions look right and I'll buy another pair of the 6774A for the orange build and look for a different color and same size for the blue truck.

I've got a pile of parts building up for the black chassis. Hopefully one of my kids can attack it this weekend.

RC Qualifier
    [Typewriter noises] . . . Somewhere in the Eastwest . . .
    I wish I had known about those colored wheels when I was gluing up my Badlands! I'm sure that they are very visible. Also, make sure that you put the wheels on the correct direction, because those tires are directional. Once you do get around do driving them (hopefully soon! The building is only half the fun, with driving being the another half, and maintaining being the last one!) Make sure you and your kids are paying attention to where they are as well as the trucks. My worst RC injury isn't from running into myself, but from kicking a slab of concrete buried in the ground. (It was a step into a friend's garage) My toenail took a long time to look normal again, and it took me almost a minute to put that sock on for two whole weeks.
    LONG LIVE THE PROFESSOR! Rest in peace, Mr. Peart.

The weekend's work

I'm feeling pressed for time all the time lately. My kids did some work this weekend but I'm feeling too rushed to make a good write-up.

My youngest put his tires on. We used orange anodized nuts as a finishing touch and I didn't get a good picture to show off. My eldest built the front end of the black chassis.

I'm still waiting on replacement parts for the STRC drive shafts. The original package showed up with missing parts.

Coming in the mail are a pair of 5883A and 5885A for the blue chassis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast