Thread: First upgrades

RC poster

First upgrades

I'm new to the RC world and wondering wheres a good place to start making some small upgrades to a stock Slash 1/16.

RC Racer
    Honestly my advise is run it till it breaks then upgrade the parts that break haha

RC poster
    Ha! Good idea

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer31 View Post
    Honestly my advise is run it till it breaks then upgrade the parts that break haha
    Sound advice there! Enjoy the little truck that could now and let it tell you what needs to be upgraded first.
    Last edited by JimmyJFlyer; 05-15-2020 at 10:03 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJFlyer View Post
    Sound advice there! Enjoy the little truck that could now and let it tell you what needs to be upgraded first.
    Makes sense. Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    The 1/16 scale trucks intrigue me. Bigger power on the little bodies. And not just little everything like the Latrax lineup. Would like a fleet of 1/16 Slashes to race with the kids. We have the 2wd brushed bigger brothers that certainly will handle our grass better than the 1/16’s and don’t own our property so I can’t dig & build a track. When the quarantine crap is over we’ll take our Slashes to the local track but again, I wonder how running a bunch of 1/16 trucks would be.

Get a vxl for it, lipo batteries, tires
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    If you care about looks, you can get new bodies, or custom paint your own. The 1/16 doesn't have as many upgrades as 1/10.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NYbandit33 View Post
    That little things gotta be a Rocket on brushless and Lipo. Imagine 3s. Lol. Probably would need 2s for track and yard bashing I would think. But yeah, gotta do 3s... just because. Lol

RC Enthusiast
    Very good advice.

RC Qualifier
    That's what I do with my rustler! Works for me! Lol

RC Enthusiast
    3S really is almost too fast. It requires skill to drive it without constantly flipping or crashing into stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    Am I the only one that finds it faster on series nimh that a 3s lipo? Mine is almost 10kmh faster on nimh according to my gps

Quote Originally Posted by amihal View Post
    Am I the only one that finds it faster on series nimh that a 3s lipo? Mine is almost 10kmh faster on nimh according to my gps
    It should be faster with NiMh in series than a 3s LiPo. It's more voltage.
    Fully charged battery:
    2x NiMh batteries= 18v
    3s LiPo battery= 12.6v.

RC Enthusiast
    I should've clarified. I know it is faster and why its faster, but why do i read so much about everyone praising 3s for having more power. The batt boxes are so limited that you pretty much cant fit any lipo bigger than 1300mah, so run time isnt increased by much. I have a pair of 1300mah 3s LiHv batteries for mine and I find myself charging the 2 nimh packs more often for it

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NYbandit33 View Post
    Ditto.

I upgraded via the Traxxas Power Program to the VXL-3m and LiPo. I do mostly dirt parking lot runs and big wide turns as well as up and down a paved 50 yrd long driveway.

Got carried away with trying to eliminate the steering slop that occurred after a month of hard driving but like others said, enjoyed it stock until I started seeing issues.

After which I changed out to HR axles, TRX aluminum rods, HR shock bodies w/ TiN GTR shafts & pistons and hobby park tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Regarding whoever mentioned running the 1/16 trucks on track:

I picked up a used 1/16 Slash vxl a couple months back after getting bored staying home. Messed around a bit in the dirt but that got old quite quickly. Fortunately a local carpet track was re-opened so I went there to give it a run.

Now I am dialing in the truck just to see how well I can run on the track. No competitions or anything, just to run laps, improve times and see how well the little truck keeps up with the 1/8 or 1/10 buggys.

Thus far I've got a
    - Heatsink and cooling fan for the motor
    - 1/10 touring wheels which are a few mm smaller diameter than the stock slash wheels
    - Stiffer (Ace Hardware) springs for the rear and stiffer oil all around
    - Pair of 2s 1500mah Lipos
    - Aluminium alloy axle carriers on their way for the rear to get rid of the slop on the pillow ball sockets (typical for an old used RC)

For the time being, I've got small cable ties as limiting straps to keep the body low. Once I figure out what height is optimum I'll just remove them and restrict the shocks. It's quite a compromise between LCG for cornering but suspension travel for the jumps on the track.
    Will also be replacing the front axle carriers and all toe links soon as they are getting loose.

Another also, I got a 3s Lipo with my truck when I bought it. Later picked up a 6 cell NiMH. The NiMH topped out at about 28mph. I could only get to 30mph with the 3s before repeatedly crashing or flipping. Thus the replacement rear axle carriers. I am yet to do a couple more speed runs and see how it does after replacing those carriers.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Old man alert: The upgrades I would recommend will depend on the application and condition of your MERV. I took my stock wheels/tires off immediately (they are brand new if anyone wants them) and I put on the #7175 Response Pro 2.2 Tires/Wheels for my outdoor track. It was a harmonious experience! No one could keep up with me. Those poor stockers and Trenchers didn't stand a chance. Springs, shock oil, etc. are also possible improvements I might recommend for your situation. Lastly: LiPo packs are the way to go.
    Obstacle Magnet