RC Competitor

1/16 E-Revo - something more durable?

I bought my son a VXL 4x4 slash the other year and a 1/16 E-Revo a few months ago. He ran the slash prior and had no issue but I had the pinion dialed back for less speed. Since getting the small E-Revo that is all he wants to run, which is fine. However, I feel like it is always being repaired. The rear diff has stripped twice, and shims are unavailable so I ordered the new housing and that seemed to do the trick for a while, but now he is into learning how to jump/flip it. He had gotten pretty good at the back flips actually. That being said he has taken out a rear A-arm the other week and not a front A-arm...and just before I rear the rear diff skip a bit and the upgraded metal gear steering servo I bought seems to be damaged as well.

Yes, I know it is taking a lot of abuse on the jumps, but I am curious if there is another vehicle that can take the abuse a bit better without constantly being down for repair?

Is the full size E-Revo any better, will it hold up any better? I know it is significantly bigger so the bigger they are the harder they fall as well.

What about the Rustler VXL? Durability?

I know anything can break if you bash it enough, but curious if there are some that are better than others.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by westwind77 View Post
    I bought my son a VXL 4x4 slash the other year and a 1/16 E-Revo a few months ago. He ran the slash prior and had no issue but I had the pinion dialed back for less speed. Since getting the small E-Revo that is all he wants to run, which is fine. However, I feel like it is always being repaired. The rear diff has stripped twice, and shims are unavailable so I ordered the new housing and that seemed to do the trick for a while, but now he is into learning how to jump/flip it. He had gotten pretty good at the back flips actually. That being said he has taken out a rear A-arm the other week and not a front A-arm...and just before I rear the rear diff skip a bit and the upgraded metal gear steering servo I bought seems to be damaged as well.

Yes, I know it is taking a lot of abuse on the jumps, but I am curious if there is another vehicle that can take the abuse a bit better without constantly being down for repair?

Is the full size E-Revo any better, will it hold up any better? I know it is significantly bigger so the bigger they are the harder they fall as well.

I know anything can break if you bash it enough, but curious if there are some that are better than others.

Thank you!
    Only issue Iíve had on my MERV is the axle carriers broke really easily. I upgraded to RPM and havenít had an issue. No diff issues, no a arm issues, and I regularly cartwheel mine 30+ feet on 3s doing speed runs because I canít drive

Now if heís breaking stock parts, best thing to do is get aftermarket replacements. RPM will be the best option for arms and axle carriers. I bought the mini Savox servo for mine and itís been a champ. I canít give any advice for the diff issues, as mine has been great and diffs have not been an issue for myself.

I would try the aftermarket parts before tossing more money on another rc, might save you some cash in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I went with the RPM A-arms for the replacments. Did the rears the other week, the fronts should be here this week. I ordered the replacement gear set for the servo, and I believe that was damaged when the front A-arm broke.

With the other lack of responses I have a feeling that the the durability seems to to be the same across the lines I guess.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by westwind77 View Post

Thank you!
    The vxl, has a brushless motor that makes it faster, but otherwise has the same stock parts.