Dabbler's Orange Stampede 2WD

When I discovered the new Cold-Weather HD suspension arms Traxxas released a few months ago, and saw the orange ones in particular, I was quickly inspired to build an orange-themed Stampede. I had purchased the RTR orange body a few months ago, for a reason I can't remember, but wanted a black chassis as a base, so I found an ARTR Bigfoot on EBay for a good price. Had to buy the black skids and bumper separately, since it came with the blue parts. I didn't have any brushless motors to match the color scheme, so I went on eBay, again, and found an HPI Flux 4000KV(standard for a Savage XS), and paired it with a Castle SW3. I went with the Pro-Line Trencher 2.8's premounted on stone-grey F11 rims. Rear bumper is the RPM one made especially for the Stampede body, and it looks great. I bought an 8-LED light set(2 red, 2 white, and 4 amber) off Amazon, and managed to get two amber LEDs mounted in the holes next to the ones for the reds. Not sure yet on how to mount the rest on the front end.

I got it out for a test run yesterday, and was fairly pleased with the results, except for the motor getting really hot(didn't have a thermometer handy, but it was too hot to touch for more than a couple of secs). I even used the stock 14t pinion off the brushed motor. The truck is obviously now heavier than stock, but that motor was intended for a 4x4. Gear mesh is fine and there is no binding. Any smaller pinion size is going to make it not very fun to run. My custom blue Skully is about the same weight and runs a Traxxas ET-3S + Velineon and never gets hot. I might opt for a heat sink+fan, or just swap out for a different motor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rcdabbler; 05-16-2020 at 11:04 AM.

RC Racer
    Dang, that puppy be looking good!
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

Traxxas Marshal
    I love the look with those orange parts! Very nice!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I love the look with those orange parts! Very nice!
    Thanks! I remember looking for some orange a-arms several years ago, after stumbling across some very old pics of aftermarket orange parts(Atomic?), which had long since been discontinued. Needless to say, I was stoked to see Traxxas release some of their very own, and in a stronger material! Too bad they didn’t offer an optional wide front set, though.

Looks great.
    Be nice to find some orange shock caps.
    Slash 4x4
    Stampede - 4x4 x3
    Prerunner x3
    Teton

RC Enthusiast
    Great job, I really like that look

Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    Looks great.
    Be nice to find some orange shock caps.
    I’m going with some silver caps, by STRC. I could only find orange caps made by Integy, and wouldn’t trust ‘em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice looks good
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdabbler View Post
    Thanks! I remember looking for some orange a-arms several years ago, after stumbling across some very old pics of aftermarket orange parts(Atomic?), which had long since been discontinued. Needless to say, I was stoked to see Traxxas release some of their very own, and in a stronger material! Too bad they didn’t offer an optional wide front set, though.
    I know which orange parts you're talking about, but the full company name escapes me. H.G. may have been the initials? I'm not sure, it has been 20yrs since then!

You could always have gone with rear a-arms up front for a wider front end. My Rustler sports rear a-arms front and back.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle