RC Competitor

ran for 30 min without break in Tmaxx 3.3

Hey guys. This is my first post. So I recently got a Tmaxx 3.3 from my neighbor. He had no idea what he was doing and did not break into the engine. HE says he bought the engine a week ago and it looks new. He also says he used it for like 30 minutes. Anyways I am worried that my new tmaxx engine is going to stop working good since he did not break into it. Would it do any good if i break into it even after he already rode it for 30 minutes? I need help. What should I do?

I am pretty sure not breaking in the engine will not "destroy" the engine. Breaking the engine in is so that it maximizes its lifetime. (I don't own a nitro or have ever owned one, so if I am wrong, please correct me)

RC Competitor
    yeah, that is what i meant sorry. Does anyone know if breaking into it will do any good after its been ridin for 30 min?

RC Competitor
    It would really depend on how he drove it when it was new. If he started it and tipped it full throttle. Well then no breaking in wont do . But if he started it and couldn't figure out what he was doing and it wouldnt run. Then reset all the needles and attempt to break it in

*Traxxas has a strict language policy, please do not use those word(s) any longer.
    Last edited by Double G; 05-17-2020 at 07:54 AM.
    if my erevo was a transformer it would destroy urs

You may ask him how he treated the engine for those "30" minutes. Could it have hurt the engine? Maybe, but we all could guess how much it shortened its life - if it did.

If it makes you feel comfortable then go ahead and reset the needles to factory and proceed with Traxxas's break-in method. Just be sure to lower the piston to BDC and perform after run when you are done running it. Cannot undo what the neighbor did so do the best for it from this point forward.
    The Super Derecho

Hope he knew how to tune, but running an engine without proper break in would put a huge amount of stress on the internals. From factory the HSN is set rich for lubrication purposes, the LSN is set a bit lean to help increase temps for the 5 tank break in period.

If he kept the temps under 270 (I doubt it) it might be OK. Usually ones first nitro does not last before rebuilding is required.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Competitor
    Ok everyone thanks alot. I think I Will just break into it again. It might make a little difference in how long the engine will; last me then.

If it were me, no harm in popping the piston and sleeve out to investigate.

Not sure if this is your first nitro or not, or how much experience you have, but even with brand new engines I at least take the head off. If the previous owner cooked the motor even a little bit, you'd probably be able to see it by the color on the top of the piston.

Or if you're less adventurous, just pull the glow plug out and make sure it isn't brown/black/completely dry, ect.

I know people who break in engines by driving them hard, that's not bad. What's bad is doing it too lean. For example, if you guys have seen the novarossi break in at the FACTORY, they do it full throttle for like an hour or something. Cool video. Don't wear headphones, lol.

Run it rich and easy for a little while, then just leave it rich but run it harder, and it should last still a good long while. Even if it blows up soon, a piston and sleeve isn't too much money, but see how long this lasts.

-Mike

RC Competitor
    OK thanks a lot. This is not my first nitro. I had lots of nitros before also. Anyways I will take out the piston and check it out today.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroRusty123 View Post
    OK thanks a lot. This is not my first nitro. I had lots of nitros before also. Anyways I will take out the piston and check it out today.
    No need, if you have pinch at the top and you shine a light down the glowplug hole to see the color of the piston and it's a goldish brown color that's all you will be able to really check. If the internals have been damaged due to stress on the internals you are not going to see the loss of tensile strength or if the conrod is slightly stretched.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Competitor
    ok. thanks.