RC poster

What will break on a crawler?

A friend is thinking about getting a TRX-4 or $300 equivalent and wants to know if they actually break parts or not because there slow compared to my Rustler 4x4 that breaks once every couple weeks. So what has broken on your crawlers in general? not just the TRX-4.

RC Racer
    The garbage traxxas servos!

RC poster
    Wow. I just had my servo gears break on my rustler an hour before posting this question lol

RC Qualifier
    The servo horn is also very weak (strips easily because it is plastic), get the steel ones.

RC Racer
    I own 4 traxxas vehicles and not one of them has a stock servo. They are always the first thing to break... traxxas will replace them for you if you ask but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Like everything in RC, it really depends on how you drive it.

If you are just trailing around, not doing any heavy duty crawling, not getting silly with jumps and whatnot, you'll likely not have any breakage. If you want to crawl with it, the servo will likely be the first thing to go (or the plastic servo horn). Traxxas servos are just as good as any other servos, they are just not up to the task in the TRX4.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Well, while the Traxxas servos aren't the best, the only time I've actually nuked one is when I wrecked my T-maxx while winding it out, it suddenly hit second gear and took a sharp left on it's own and dove under a van. More of my fault than the servo.

My TRX-4, Revo 3.3, 1/10 Rally, 4-tec 2.0, XO-1, 2wd Slash and Maxx are all running stock servos, only reason my E-maxx isn't is because I got it as a roller and if you're charging me the same price as nicer metal gear servos, then I'm going to go with the nicer metal gear servos...though the fact that I modded it into independent front steering also changes things a lil.

Though my TRX-4 I also leave the mini servos in their resting positions while it's not in use, and I've not hit anything stubborn yet.

RC Competitor
    The stock servo will give up the ghost on the rocks. If you are just trailing it then the servo is fine, but any actual crawling for any extended period will overheat the servo. I had a 2075 in my telluride for years and it was great for that, but the 2075x only lasted a few weeks in the trx4.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Like everything in RC, it really depends on how you drive it.
    So true, I have the blazer and haven't had anything break yet. I haven't done any crazy crawling with it but I made a backyard course and also do some trailing at some parks. If he gets one and something breaks Traxxas is good about warranty. They are pretty durable though

Picture of the only thing I ever "broke". Granted I'm not running stock electronics (servo, esc and motor) nor the stock tires.

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    Picture of the only thing I ever "broke". Granted I'm not running stock electronics (servo, esc and motor) nor the stock tires.

Is that bread I see underneath your arm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post

Wow, ¿what happens with this tire?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Wow, ¿what happens with this tire?
    Crummy foams, lots of grip.

RC poster
    The only thing I've had break so far is steering servo horn stripped out. I don't do hardcore crawling, at least not on rocks or anything hard like that. I have took quite a few nice tumbles down some mounds. Everything's good to go. I don't think this counts, but I have ground my D-rings down rubbing across stuff trying to climb, tho

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Crummy foams, lots of grip.

Not so much the foams, they are little nova foams. They boy was on a wood ladder bridge and the tire got hung up between the slats. Something had to give when he goosed the throttle.

Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it