RC Racer

Salt Water & Battery Questions

Quick question, can the blast run in saltwater or is that bad for it?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAXXASAXXART View Post
    Quick question, can the blast run in saltwater or is that bad for it?
    It will rust everything if you don't take care of it, once you are done running it in salt water, rinse it off with clean water and use a water repelling product such as WD-40 to prevent rust.
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerTucker View Post
    It will rust everything if you don't take care of it, once you are done running it in salt water, rinse it off with clean water and use a water repelling product such as WD-40 to prevent rust.
    Okay, thanks! Do traxxas boats use the same size/kind of batteries that traxxas cars/trucks use?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAXXASAXXART View Post
    Okay, thanks! Do traxxas boats use the same size/kind of batteries that traxxas cars/trucks use?
    You either have to put in a 7.2 volt nihm/nicad, or a 7.4 volt 2s lipo. 8.4 volts is too much for the Marine ESC to handle. But yes you can run a 7.2 or 7.4 volt battery in any Traxxas model, but it is not very practical for models like E Revos that have huge current draw. It would get you around 35 moh with a Bandit/Rustler VXL just to put it into perspective.
    Last edited by TruckerTucker; 05-13-2020 at 03:34 PM.

RC Racer
    Okay, thanks for answering all of my questions, you are very helpful.

Traxxas Marshal
    One thing to consider about Li-Po batteries in a boat like the Blast is balance. When the Blast was initially designed, Ni-Cd batterie were all the rage (Ni-Mh would come later). Ni-Cd and Ni-Mh packs are considerably heavier than modern Li-Po packs. As such, the lighter batteries could result in some handling issues in choppier water. In calmer water, the lighter batteries could (in theory) provide a little extra speed due to the weight savings. Just food for thought...
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    One thing to consider about Li-Po batteries in a boat like the Blast is balance. When the Blast was initially designed, Ni-Cd batterie were all the rage (Ni-Mh would come later). Ni-Cd and Ni-Mh packs are considerably heavier than modern Li-Po packs. As such, the lighter batteries could result in some handling issues in choppier water. In calmer water, the lighter batteries could (in theory) provide a little extra speed due to the weight savings. Just food for thought...
    +1 to that. I run 2 1800 mAh 7.2v AA nicad packs in parallel tied to each other. Weighs it down better. Had to move some stuff to get it to fit however. Gives me good runtime.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerTucker View Post
    +1 to that. I run 2 1800 mAh 7.2v AA nicad packs in parallel tied to each other. Weighs it down better. Had to move some stuff to get it to fit however. Gives me good runtime.
    You can still buy Ni-Cd packs these days? I haven't bought one of those since the early 2000s!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle