RC Racer

E Revo spur gear already stripped.

Well, since supposedly this isnít a warranty item and that itís up to me to find a replacement, I was thinking about replacing the little plastic 50 tooth spur gear in this car with one thatís steel from hot racing. Is there any consequences for doing this? Watching the kid play with his car, I really donít think heís all that hard on it but itís really kind of concerning that itís already stripped half the teeth off the original spur gear.

And since were talking about stripped gears, I figure instead of making a new post about it, Iíll just mention it here too that Iím probably gonna have to replace all the little gears in the steering servo as well because with the cat sitting on the ground and you go to steer the front wheels, thereís a really bad clicking sound that really sounds like itís coming from the steering servo. It hasnít fully gone out yet so I really canít say thatís exactly what it is but since itís making really close to the same clicking sound that the reversing servo made in my Revo 3.3, I wouldnít be surprised thatís what it is. And I know this little guy is small, but Iím really not liking the fact that it only has the one steering servo on there. I really think it needs two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you replace the plastic spur with a metal one it would just move the weak spot somewhere else (inside the tranny or diffs). The stock plastic one is cheap and easily replaced. Take the time to check the gear mesh and slipper are correctly set and they should last a long time.

The stock servos on the mini's don't hold up very well. I went with a Savox SW-0250MG servo and haven't had a problem since. It has metal gears and more torque. Plus it's cheaper.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    If you replace the plastic spur with a metal one it would just move the weak spot somewhere else (inside the tranny or diffs). The stock plastic one is cheap and easily replaced. Take the time to check the gear mesh and slipper are correctly set and they should last a long time.
    Well I guess maybe I shoulda waited a little longer to place my order then but I went ahead and got a 48 tooth(stock one was a 50-tooth) metal spur gear from Hot Racing on order so I guess weíll just see how it goes.

I didnít think to check the tightness of the slipper clutch, tho. Iíll have to do that this weekend but who knows, that coulda been too tight not allowing it to do itís job and slip a little bit.

FYI, I just decided to go with a 48 tooth in hopes of a little bit more speed.

But I dunno, to me it didnít look like the mesh between the motor gear and the spur gear was as tight together as it was probably supposed to. I dunno, maybe it was, it just liked as though only a little more than half the teeth were going down into the other gear.

The stock servos on the mini's don't hold up very well. I went with a Savox SW-0250MG servo and haven't had a problem since. It has metal gears and more torque. Plus it's cheaper.
    I just went ahead and ordered another complete 2080 servo for the other side and then got the complete steering set so that I could use the hardware, the servo horn and the connecting rod to basically convert it to a twin-servo system. Iím assuming when I plug that new servo in, itíll connect to the other channel 1 slot, correct?

I dunno, this may not apply, and Iím certainly not trying to defend Traxxasís servos but my Revo 3.3 is still using the two stock steering servos it came with so hopefully by adding one more which I think it needs(or just one better one like you use), they both in unison will hold up better.

You might have trouble with two on the mini. There is no adjustment to the stock links that connect the servo arm to the steering arm like the bigger Revo's.

I have good luck with Traxxas servos, it's the setup on the mini that makes it difficult for two.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 05-18-2020 at 11:36 AM.

RC Racer
    You might have trouble with two on the mini. There is no adjustment to the stock links that connect the servo arm to the steering arm like the bigger Revo's.
    That makes sense. I guess I just figured the adjustable links were just for fine tuning of the steering.

But I guess all I can do is try it. At least if anything heíll have a spare servo if it turns out one is all we can run.

But Iím curious; if itís really only made for just one servo then why do they have the spot on the other side with the blank plate attached for running a second one? Unless Iím wrong, I highly doubt itís to run your one single servo on the either side- I mean, whatís that gonna accomplish?

I guess I just figured that maybe his car only came with one servo because itís so small and itís light and because since most people pull one off if it has two like on the case of my big Revo, for weight reduction that maybe thatís all they felt it needed; but like with my Revo, my impression was, if theyíre just wanting to run one servo that theyíd pull that other stock servo off and replace it with a much better, much stronger more reliable one kinda like what you were saying you use.

But whatís the problems we could run into by installing a second servo?

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    But Iím curious; if itís really only made for just one servo then why do they have the spot on the other side with the blank plate attached for running a second one? Unless Iím wrong, I highly doubt itís to run your one single servo on the either side- I mean, whatís that gonna accomplish?

I guess I just figured that maybe his car only came with one servo because itís so small and itís light and because since most people pull one off if it has two like on the case of my big Revo, for weight reduction that maybe thatís all they felt it needed; but like with my Revo, my impression was, if theyíre just wanting to run one servo that theyíd pull that other stock servo off and replace it with a much better, much stronger more reliable one kinda like what you were saying you use.
    All the mini's only come with one servo from the factory. IMO the reason for two servo spots is that they modeled the chassis after its bigger 1/10 chassis. It's easier to install and maintain one servo. With one servo there is no need to adjust servo alignment with another, because there is only one and it can't fight for a neutral position against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    But whatís the problems we could run into by installing a second servo?
    If they are synchronized you wouldn't have any trouble. When adding a second servo, its neutral position isn't going to be the same as another. The adjustable link is there so you could adjust it so the servos work together and not fighting each other. If you find one or make an adjustable link like what the bigger Revo's have you wouldn't have any issues, except for more maintenance.

Here is a Traxxas article that might explain it better than me if they are not aligned:https://traxxas.com/news/aligning-dual-servos

RC Racer
    All the mini's only come with one servo from the factory. IMO the reason for two servo spots is that they modeled the chassis after its bigger 1/10 chassis. It's easier to install and maintain one servo. With one servo there is no need to adjust servo alignment with another, because there is only one and it can't fight for a neutral position against itself.

If they are synchronized you wouldn't have any trouble. When adding a second servo, its neutral position isn't going to be the same as another. The adjustable link is there so you could adjust it so the servos work together and not fighting each other. If you find one or make an adjustable link like what the bigger Revo's have you wouldn't have any issues, except for more maintenance.

Here is a Traxxas article that might explain it better than me if they are not aligned:https://traxxas.com/news/aligning-dual-servos
    That makes sense I guess but I think Iím at least gonna try to run two servos at once. The new one is an exact servo just like the one it cane with so hopefully they wonít fight each other as long as I put the horn on the servo in the right spot.

But as far as the more maintenance part, wouldnít this kinda reduce that since obviously one servo is being overworked? As i said, heís not really doing anything that he shouldnít do with it and itís relatively premature in my opinion for this servo to already show signs of stripped gears. My big revo runs two servos and as of yet, Iíve never had to do anything with them, even after running much larger tires on it.

Bottom line, I just think that the only time one servo would suffice is if you use something other than OEM traxxas thatís a whole lot stronger and a whole lot more durable.