RC Enthusiast

TRX Aluminum Steering Linkage and Steel Hollowballs Problem

Hi forum,

RC newbie here. purchased my first proper RC car (mini slash) about a month ago as a COVID present to myself to keep me busy. so far loving it. after a hard month of driving I've upgraded a few things, some of which was all new front and rear aluminum push and toe rods with new steel hollow balls and HR aluminum axle carriers. all in effort to eliminate steering slop that became present when the plastic parts began to wear down.

I've been about 90% successful in removing all of it, however I cannot remove the wiggle & play that is occurring at the steel hollow ball where the toe rod connects to the axle carrier. it's just as bad as it was with the plastic ball, if not worse.

I've tried swapping balls and it still occurs, leading me to believe it is the plastic rod ends of the aluminum toe rod.

so, this leads me to question:
    1) has anyone else discovered this issue? what's a possible fix?
    2) should I simply replace the rod ends on the hope a new set will fit the hollow balls better?
    3) forgo the TRX rod ends and swap to a different part all together?

Thanks in advance!
    jp
    Last edited by jindap; 05-19-2020 at 11:33 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I'm like you I DESPISE steering slop of any sort.

I'm thinking since the rod ends are plastic, they're only gonna keep wearing down if you replace them. Currently searching to find if there are good aluminum options. I'll let you know what I find

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    I'm like you I DESPISE steering slop of any sort.

I'm thinking since the rod ends are plastic, they're only gonna keep wearing down if you replace them. Currently searching to find if there are good aluminum options. I'll let you know what I find

thanks that'd be awesome to try that option out. I love this little car and want to get it driving as best as possible, appreciate the feedback.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jindap View Post
    thanks that'd be awesome to try that option out. I love this little car and want to get it driving as best as possible, appreciate the feedback.
    Yeah no problem.

I looked and HR seems to have some options, but a lot of them are out of stock. But there are others like Integy, etc. that might be worth a shot.

I wonder if it would be good to oil/grease them since it would be metal on metal

"That don't make NO sense!"