RC poster

Why no more VXL Summit?

Any insight into why the brushless Summit was discontinued? I know it was a bit on the pricey side, but it seems like if Traxxas is still making the VXL Revo they may as well keep the VXL Summit in production.

I ordered a 1/16 Summit brushed, and was wondering how a brushless swap would change things. I've seen that the brushed version with a LiPo is pretty quick.

RC Racer
    I'm not 100% sure why they discontinued the brushless mini summit, but there are a few reasons. First of all, the axles on the brushless summit would break. Constantly. I went through a good 4-6 axles on my BRUSHED mini summit before upgrading to the mini e revo cvds. Even then, they would continually pop out, so I had to shorten the wheelbase with Mini E Revo arms. Another reason is that the mini summit was a diff killer. The differentials already had enough issues, but add the bigger tires and brushless power, and they'd be gone. I have already stripped both front and rear diffs while running brushless power. I believe those are some of the reasons the vxl version is gone.

As for upgrading to brushless, yes there will be a dramatic increase in power. The torque won't be as good for off-roading, but the top-end speed will be much better. However, if you upgrade to brushless, be prepared to upgrade your axles, and be prepared to shim your differentials. Be prepared to break steering servos more often. With more power comes more crashes, more crashes means more broken parts. I've broken two steering servos from bad landings. I would also recommend upgrading to a metal-geared servo. If I were you, I would convert the mini-summit to a mini-E Revo if you are looking to bash. If you are looking to crawl, stick with the brushed mini summit. Oh, and one last thing. The brushless motor gets very hot, very quickly on higher gearing, and even on 2s.

Hopefully this helps.

I second the issues with the mini summit. I have the brushed one as well, on 2s, with reduced gearing. Motor and esc get extremely hot no matter what, had to shim the rear diff from doing tiny jumps and stripped out the housing and pinion gear.

I can't imagine this truck with the vxl system, and on 3s it would be a joke. Self destruction and way too fast, and rolling over every time you try to turn.

If you want brushless, I'd either run 2s, or gear it WAY down and run 3s so it's controllable.

-Mike

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniSummit50Mph View Post
    I'm not 100% sure why they discontinued the brushless mini summit, but there are a few reasons. First of all, the axles on the brushless summit would break. Constantly. I went through a good 4-6 axles on my BRUSHED mini summit before upgrading to the mini e revo cvds. Even then, they would continually pop out, so I had to shorten the wheelbase with Mini E Revo arms. Another reason is that the mini summit was a diff killer. The differentials already had enough issues, but add the bigger tires and brushless power, and they'd be gone. I have already stripped both front and rear diffs while running brushless power. I believe those are some of the reasons the vxl version is gone.

As for upgrading to brushless, yes there will be a dramatic increase in power. The torque won't be as good for off-roading, but the top-end speed will be much better. However, if you upgrade to brushless, be prepared to upgrade your axles, and be prepared to shim your differentials. Be prepared to break steering servos more often. With more power comes more crashes, more crashes means more broken parts. I've broken two steering servos from bad landings. I would also recommend upgrading to a metal-geared servo. If I were you, I would convert the mini-summit to a mini-E Revo if you are looking to bash. If you are looking to crawl, stick with the brushed mini summit. Oh, and one last thing. The brushless motor gets very hot, very quickly on higher gearing, and even on 2s.

Hopefully this helps.
    Thank you for the great feedback.

It's a shame they don't have metal axles for the mini summit that don't pop out. I'm going to look into some of the China steel ones and see how those perform rather than the Traxxas 7151X's. I'm also curious about the failure of the stock ones and if it can be mitigated somehow. I'll find out soon enough I'm sure, but if it's a torque sheer failure there's not much one can do.

I had a mini Revo VXL on back order for about a month and finally gave up and pulled the trigger on a mini Summit. I was able to drive my buddies mini Revo VXL for a bit and although it drove great, it did have a little trouble with ground clearance in some cases. Bouncing off golfball sized rocks and such. I was hoping the Summit would help with that.

My ideal driving case is at construction sites, not rock crawling. Again, thank you for your feedback. I know axles are likely going to be my biggest issue on the brushed mini summit.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniSummit50Mph View Post

Hopefully this helps.
    Hy guys,

can anybody tell me wich part i need to convert a mini summit into the merv? not sure whats different between this 2 modells.

"If I were you, I would convert the mini-summit to a mini-E Revo "

thx for your help.

greets from AUSTRIA

ChrisK

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK77 View Post
    Hy guys,

can anybody tell me wich part i need to convert a mini summit into the merv? not sure whats different between this 2 modells.

"If I were you, I would convert the mini-summit to a mini-E Revo "

thx for your help.

greets from AUSTRIA

ChrisK
    I'm pretty sure it's just suspension rockers and tires. There's other parts that are different but those are the big one's.

My non-VXL Summit has been pretty durable with only a metal steering servo.