RC poster

Stampede 4x4 to slash 4x4 conversation! What’s needed Subscribe Go to 1st Unread

I thinking about converting my stampede 4x4 to a slash 4x4 and wanted to know what is needed! They seem to be alike except the stampede has a shorter chassis . Would the slash LCG work with a slash drive shaft?

RC Competitor
    I’ve looked into doing this myself. Along with the LCG conversion kit you’ll need a longer drive shaft.

The perhaps new body posts, as they are different enough. And of course a body that fits better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the standard chassis when I did mine. I had the tekno bone center shaft, so I had to get the longer version of that for the HCG slash. I used a probodyrc body and it fits pretty good. Just wide enough to reach the edge of the slash chassis and long enough to not look too bad. I screwed up with the first mounting holes and had to drill 4 new ones to shift the body forward.

Things I needed:
    Chassis
    Center axle
    Battery hold down

The chassis I bought was used and came with the battery hold down and receiver box. I didn't use the receiver box as I used my stampede one in the stampede location so I could more easily fit a 1/8th esc in it in the ESC area.

Since I had the kingheads motor mount/spur mount for the stampede, it only fits the HCG slash, so I went that route.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I used the standard chassis when I did mine. I had the tekno bone center shaft, so I had to get the longer version of that for the HCG slash. I used a probodyrc body and it fits pretty good. Just wide enough to reach the edge of the slash chassis and long enough to not look too bad. I screwed up with the first mounting holes and had to drill 4 new ones to shift the body forward.

Things I needed:
    Chassis
    Center axle
    Battery hold down

The chassis I bought was used and came with the battery hold down and receiver box. I didn't use the receiver box as I used my stampede one in the stampede location so I could more easily fit a 1/8th esc in it in the ESC area.

Since I had the kingheads motor mount/spur mount for the stampede, it only fits the HCG slash, so I went that route.
    Is it any less tippy now? I'm getting ready to buy a 4pede next week and I kinda wanna do the same thing...

It tends to slide more now than tip, but will tip when pushed too hard. I did a lot to it in a short time, so not 100% sure what helped the most. Extending the chassis made it a lot better to drive fast and jump. I added HR sway bars, not sure they do anything really other than get in the way to work on it. The wire seems too soft to do much more than what cranking the springs down a bit on the shocks would do.

Long chassis, center diff, hot racing +6mm 17mm hubs all changed how the truck drove quite a bit. The longer chassis and center diff changed it the most.

I have found sway bays only come with spring bars for stock weight rigs. So we need to make stiffer ones ourselves I guess. Since the heavier the rig the stiffer the bars needs to be. I am going to attempt to find a solution by testing a few pieces of bar stock and key stock of differing sizes. I want to get a new chop saw first and do some research on alloys worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I have found sway bays only come with spring bars for stock weight rigs. So we need to make stiffer ones ourselves I guess.
    Good point. They were also intended for a slash which is likely lighter, has smaller tires, lower cg to begin with.

I did finally replace my RPM arms fully on it. Went with the traxxas HD cold weather arms. They are stiffer than the RPM ones, but not as rigid as the originals. So now my shocks are doing more of the work. Will see how it feels at the bmx track again soon I hope.

RC poster
    Is there any way to make the stampede wider? I thought I saw somebody on fb mention the other day that they had 1 with longer arms, but didnt say where they bought the arms from...

They probably used Pro-Line’s ProTrac kit (wider A-arms and links/rods), but they are now discontinued and have no replacement.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by FTcutty View Post
    Is there any way to make the stampede wider?
    Just stick these on there:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4O1PGQ

I use them on my Slash 4x4 Monster Truck and they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Just stick these on there:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4O1PGQ

I use them on my Slash 4x4 Monster Truck and they work great.
    Wow that link broke fast. I used it lastnite without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Wow that link broke fast. I used it lastnite without issue.
    Very odd. Here is another link to the same item, from the company itself:
    https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-12mm-M...5mm_p_273.html

I went through several different hub extensions before I found these. These were the best by far. The ones I tried before those put so much stress on the stub axles that it snapped one of my MIP stub axles right at the screw threads. These on the other hand are a much simpler design that simply extend from your existing hexes (instead of replacing them) and have proven to be rock solid durable.

RC poster
    How are you holding your bigger/dual batteries in? I was using the factory slash battery hold down on mine, and broke the post that the body clip goes thru to hold the front down. Every time I land a jump too hard my batteries pop out...