RC Competitor

Single water pickup installation-cooling system mod-Need advise?

I need to ask some advise regarding my planned mod on my cooling system.

Im want to sinatll 2 single water pickups, side by side around the drive shaft.

So the idea is: Rudder pickup feed the motor
    One single pickup feeds the ESC
    The Other pickup feeds the ESC cooler RegularGuy showed on another post.

I have a very easy way to install these in the position, but i want to know if their position will restrict sufficient flow to the prop or hinder the performance in any way?
    The pics shows my planned position for them...

My idea is to use extra drive mount struts ( Part 5726) and install them over the ones on the boat, but that the one side face downwards, and the these pickups through the hole.

@RegularGuy? Please help

RC Competitor
    Anyone with any advice?

Traxxas Marshal
    It sounds like this mod would, at least from the pickup side of things, be easily reversible; I say give it a shot and see how it works!

I doubt the prop will be impacted. Technically, speed could be minimally impacted due to more things sticking out from under the boat (drag), but I would imagine it to be minimal.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    Thnx. Since my post I decided to angle the pickup at an angle...which will give more space between the pickup and the prop. And the only thing that can't be reversed is the 2 holes in the back I have to drill for the water lines... otherwise you right. It's a easy reversed system. So I'm gonna give it a shot and post here how it all went ...

Thnx for your input.

Traxxas Marshal
    Worst case, holes can be filled. Good luck with the project, and happy boating!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

If you're going to have three pickups, you want to mount your two new pickups symmetrically on the back of the boat between your strut and your trim tabs. You also want to have the bottom of your pickups just barely below the bottom of your hull...about the thickness of 3 sheets of paper. If your pickups are to low it will produce drag and keep your boat from going on plain (makes it run really slow).

Also, I see you figured out how to post pictures...good. I was going to tell you to look on YouTube, that's how I figured it out. The other thing is you can look on YouTube to see if they have any good video's on RC boat pickup installation too. My experience has been a good video is always better than reading and looking pictures

Also, also, they make a pickup that installs right behind your rudder. The advantage is minimum drag, and a cleaner look. You could do that, because you really don't need three pickups for a Spartan. You only need two, one for your ESC and the other for your motor.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-23-2020 at 06:39 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Competitor
    Hi.
    Thnx for the reply. Was wondering where you were....hahaha.
    If I only let the pick-up stick out so little...will I get sufficient water flow into them?

These pickups are about 3mm wide by 4mm high ( the area that is open for water to run in....

By second thought...I answered my own question...

As look at the whole in the rudder...that's fairly small...so the width of my pickup sticking out 3 sheets of paper will sure send enough water....
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-25-2020 at 12:56 AM. Reason: merge

Very nice pictures, by the way...turned out good...very clear.

RC Competitor
    Here are pics of the installed water pickups. I hope they stick out enough to Cath the water...yet still not to cause slot of drag....your opinion?
    Last edited by Degald; 05-28-2020 at 03:34 PM.

RC Competitor

Last edited by Degald; 05-28-2020 at 03:41 PM.

RC Competitor
    Which do you suggest go to the ESC and the Caps cooler I'm making...
    The seperate pickup or the rudder?

Also with caps coolers ...do I let cold water go through ESC First en then through the Caps cooler?
    Last edited by Degald; 05-28-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Do it this way.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 05-28-2020 at 08:34 PM.