RC Qualifier

New chassis...front bulkhead compatibility with past 1/10 4wd traxxas?

Single_trac alerted me to the fact that there is a new revised chassis for the Rustl4r to allow usage of longer batteries that fit the Sl4sh. I think this explains why people looking at batteries(including me) are confused because it now says the longer 155mm long batteries fit the Rustl4r when most of us have the older short battery tray chassis which the longer batteries clearly won’t fit

https://traxxas.com/news/choosing-batteries-rustler-4x4

So I got curious and looked here

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...20Assembly.jpg

Sure enough, in addition to the new chassis part number, there is also a new bulkhead part number 7430r. I can’t access the older version support page so I looked here

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...20Assembly.jpg

The ultimate uses 7430x which i *think* is shared across most if not all 1/10 4wd models.

On eBay the sellers are warning people that the new bulkhead should only be used with the new chassis.

Does anyone know if the new bulkhead can fit the old Rustl4r, Sl4sh/rally/stamp4de/festa/telluride? Because if it’s not, it would seem to be the first time in a long time a part like this is not backward compatible with earlier chassis cousins in the traxxas lineup. Well, the shock towers were like that too I guess, but at least they swap fine.

Now don’t get me wrong, I understand the added benefit, but this should make things interesting when people like me try to play LEGO with the 1/10 4wd lineup parts, if we cannot use 7340r with the old chassis, or if we cannot use the new chassis with the old bulkheads....
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 05-22-2020 at 01:13 AM.

RC Racer
    The new parts will create confusion.

The bulkhead of the "old" Rustler 4x4 was shared with the Slash 4x4 LCG.
    The Stampede 4x4 and Slash 4x4 HCG use another bulkhead (6830).

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by StijnH View Post
    The new parts will create confusion.

The bulkhead of the "old" Rustler 4x4 was shared with the Slash 4x4 LCG.
    The Stampede 4x4 and Slash 4x4 HCG use another bulkhead (6830).
    True, that’s why I said “first time in a long time” since the current lcg chassis started with the rally(?) and that was like, 8years ago?

In fact I think you deserve the credit for discovering the change since you were the one who told single_trac in the “3s battery doesn’t fit” thread.

So if the new rustler chassis/bulkhead don’t interchange with the slash 4x4 lcg, then it won’t work with the platinum, 1/10 rally, fiesta st. I don’t see those chassis changing just to fall in line with the new rustler, in effecting pushing the Rustl4r more toward a stand alone product along with the shock towers

Fingers crossed that the new Rustl4r bulkhead *could* be used on other lcg 4x4 off road cars until it’s modularity, or there lack of, is confirmed.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 05-22-2020 at 10:27 AM.

RC Racer
    Yep, it was StijnH that pointed it out.

I'm wondering if this is the kind of thing that might be worthy of a 'sticky' thread at the top of the forum? I have no idea what drives those kinds of things, but if Traxxas is doing a mid-life-update to the Rustler 4x4 without any kind of change in the PN of the RTR vehicle itself, it might make sense to have a place where folks can self-serve this info (quickly and easily).

Duno... maybe it's too early, if we don't have all of the info. Anyone wanna order a 'new' front bulkhead to see if it fits on the 'shorty' Rustler 4x4 chassis? :-)
    --BillJ

RC Qualifier
    I just bought a 7430r, what the heck, itís unde 9 bucks. We will see when it gets here. Worst come to worst I get a 6723r later when they become more common.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the credits.

I sure hope the 7430r works.

For me also, the possibility to interchange parts between the different models is one of the things I really like about Traxxas (and parts availability).

RC Qualifier
    Well it seems to be a no for the new bulkhead fitting the old chassis

Chassis is one for lcg Sl4sh with identical mounting as the old Rustl4r

Last edited by TwoBelugas; 05-29-2020 at 03:55 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Well it seems to be a no for the new bulkhead fitting the old chassis

Chassis is one for lcg Sl4sh with identical mounting as the old Rustl4r

Thanks for taking one for the team, TwoBelugas. I appreciate the confirmation.
    I'm hopeful that Traxxas will continue to make both versions of the chassis/bulkhead available going forward. Time will tell, I guess. --BillJ

Good to know... thank you!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    No problem fellas.

Like I said Iíll just snag a new long battery chassis so I can convert one of my existing rustl4rmto the new set up so no loss either way.