RC Qualifier

Slash 4x4 and Rustler 4x4 Difference

Hello, It looks like Im getting back into R/C and everything is leading me back to Traxxas, even though its blown my original budget.....

I've had Multiple Slash 4x4's over the years and know them very very well. I've had maybe 10+ 2WD Rustler/Stampede 2wd's. I have however never had a Rustler 4x4. Now the Rustler 2WD, for various reasons is one RC on my RC Mount Rushmore. I have a huge affiliation to the Rustler. I had one from kit level, with a clear shell and a MSC.

I've been offered the holy grail for someone in my position. A Brand new Rustler 4x4, with some tase upgrades, and its currently converted into a Slash 4x4 with Proline Shell, Badlands etc. It all comes with the original Rustler parts/shell/wheels/tyres etc.

Now Im not looking for what one is better, I just want to know what's involved in changing the Rustler 4x4 to a Slash 4x4. Every Google search just shows me information regarding the 2WD model, or flame wars between whats best, I/m just curious, whats the difference?

Shell
    Wheels/Tyres
    Bumpers
    Chassis
    Drive Shaft

Anything else?

Thanks

RC poster
    The rustler has the auto tip over feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rustler 4x4 does have the "auto righting" feature...but, you have to be an idiot to use it. Use it too many times, and it will damage the vehicle, including the electronics.

As for the true differences between these two, they are, essentially, the same - the use a lot of the same parts. The only real difference is that the Rusty is 1.25" shorter...it uses a shorter chassis pan & shorter center driveshaft...and it uses different front & rear shock towers. Yes, there are a few other minor differences, but they're relatively minor. Converting either into the other is a fairly simple process.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BangoBango View Post
    The rustler has the auto tip over feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your constructive reply

Shorter chassis and different shock towers to use the no clip body.

Also, the latest Rustler just changed to a slightly longer chassis (20mm) and bulkheads with a new part number (not sure what the difference is... pics look the same as the Slash 4x4 LCG’s).
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Difference between them welp let's begin...the slash 4x4 is longer than the ruslter 4x4. The rustler 4x4 is more designed to be buggy like / stunt buggy for flips off ramps and bashing. Its doesn't use traditional body mounts its has a locking system so no pins also reinforced body unlike slash 4x4 thought they use similar parts mike the diffs, shocks, springs, sway bars, bumpers are different on both center driveshafts are different but the fron c hubs and rear axle carriers are the same from the slash and can bused on either vehicle. Longer batteries go in the slash 4x4 shorter batteries in the rustler 4x4 and rustler 4x4 more prone to wheelies due to shorter wheel base. You'll also have your choice of bodies when it comes to the slash 4x4 where as the rustler 4x4 only has that one body for it like the maxx n xmaxx I own a rustler 4x4 and a slash 4x4 I own every part traxxas has for them but I use Castle electronics as they are tunable and more reliable in my opinion. Hope this helps but either one will be an awesome vehicle all depends on your application as to how you wanna use it

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that the 2wd Rustler and the Rustler 4x4 are completely different vehicles other than their names. Very few common parts. The Slash 4x4 / Stampede 4x4 / Slash 4x4 all share a common platform with a large amount of common parts.

I'm personally not a fan of the stock Slash 4x4, mainly because I don't like the massive oversized body, massive oversized bumpers, and miniature tires. But it's easy to put on whatever body, bumpers, and tires you want. It's a great platform. Whether you use the Rustler 4x4, Slash 4x4, or Stampede 4x4 chassis mainly comes down to how long you want your vehicle to be. I converted my Stampede 4x4 to a Slash 4x4 Monster Truck mainly just by swapping out the chassis and the center drive shaft. I did it because I wanted a longer vehicle. If you don't like the longer Slash 4x4 chassis, you can always swap back to the Rustler 4x4 chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Shorter chassis and different shock towers to use the no clip body.

Also, the latest Rustler just changed to a slightly longer chassis (20mm) and bulkheads with a new part number (not sure what the difference is... pics look the same as the Slash 4x4 LCG’s).
    Just curious, as I know someone else mentioned the new parts in another thread...but, for the 'redesign', is the overall wheelbase the same (old vs new), and, if so, are the body mount positions the same? If the chassis pan is longer, it would make sense that the front bulkhead is shorter, so that the distance between the front & rear shock towers remains identical. But, if their distance had changed, them that would also mean an entirely different body would be needed for the "new" Rusty.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Just curious, as I know someone else mentioned the new parts in another thread...but, for the 'redesign', is the overall wheelbase the same (old vs new), and, if so, are the body mount positions the same? If the chassis pan is longer, it would make sense that the front bulkhead is shorter, so that the distance between the front & rear shock towers remains identical. But, if their distance had changed, them that would also mean an entirely different body would be needed for the "new" Rusty.

There are a lot of unknowns at this point since we only knew of the change from one fairly obscure blog post for batteries. But when I looked, traxxas did (quietly) update the exploded views, the chassis photo, and even the box panel photos on their website.

I looked at the photos of the chassis and if I had to guess, the chassis overall length is about the same. Same bodies will fit. What did change is they moved forward by a bit the two lower large bolts that hold the chassis to the bulkhead, and reconfigured the front area of the battery tray, so the front of the battery hold down moved from bolting to the chassis floor, to that area right above it and about 20mm to the front. The new space seems to have be entirely from moving the front battery hold down out of the battery tray area, and moving the attachment screw forward.

So that means the front bulkhead’s lower part needs to be shorter so it fits the new locations of the two lower attachment points on the chassis.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 05-23-2020 at 02:28 PM.

I really don't know.

Comparing the current specs has the overall length of the Slash as 3.58" longer and the wheelbase as 1.14" longer.

Not sure what the "old" Rusty 4x4's specs were.

Busy now... I'll try to find it later.

RC Qualifier
    I don’t think traxxas publishes detailed dimensions of just the chassis

Someone bought the one new chassis on eBay so we will have to wait til someone has both to see a direct comparison.

Look at Traxxas’ website for the Rustler 4x4 VXL.
    https://traxxas.com/products/landing/rustler-4x4-vxl/

It says:

The all-new low-CG chassis positions the weight low for aggressive handling. The wheelbase has been lengthened 20mm for the perfect balance of stability and quick response. Brushless Velineon power flows through a larger Revo®-Spec slipper clutch and new extreme heavy-duty driveshafts to ensure performance and strength.

and:

Rustler 4X4 rides on a new low-CG chassis that has been lengthened 20mm for extra stability. The low center of gravity and wide track width helps the Rustler 4X4 stay planted in the turns for thrilling high speed fun.

Edit:
    Unfortunately, it doesn’t sat anything about the new bulkheads.
    Last edited by Squeegie; 05-23-2020 at 05:25 PM.