Thread: 28mph on 2s

RC Racer

28mph on 2s

Hello everyone,

I have a mini summit with a 23 tooth pinion that is running a venom 2s 25c 2000 mAh battery. Stock vxl system, and stock spur gear as well. I did a speed test today, and I got 28 mph. Should I be getting faster or is this normal speed for this setup?

Thanks!

That's normal for a VXL summit.

RC Qualifier
    That’s pretty quick for a mini 380 sized motor on 2s.
    I’ve never clocked my mini revo brushless with any reliable equipment, but that sounds pretty close to what my mine “looks like “ it’s doing on 2s

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    That's normal for a VXL summit.

Yeah, but that summit comes with a 16 tooth pinion. Mine came with a 23 tooth pinion because it was originally brushed.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniSummit50Mph View Post
    Yeah, but that summit comes with a 16 tooth pinion. Mine came with a 23 tooth pinion because it was originally brushed.
    Using this site: https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

It calculated the top speed at 34mph, (2s LiPo, 3.8" tires, 23pinion, 50spur).

What speed were you hoping for?

RC Racer
    Using this site: https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

It calculated the top speed at 34mph, (2s LiPo, 3.8" tires, 23pinion, 50spur).

What speed were you hoping for?

I was hoping for 30 or slightly over.

Use the site I linked to, to figure out top speed. Try different pinion sizes to see how much the speed changes with the change in gearing.

Use the 1/16 Erevo (differential,transmission) as it is the same ratios for the 1/16 summit.

RC Racer
    Use the site I linked to, to figure out top speed. Try different pinion sizes to see how much the speed changes with the change in gearing.

Use the 1/16 Erevo (differential,transmission) as it is the same ratios for the 1/16 summit.

I think it's ok now. I'm actually running a 25 tooth pinion (it came stock with the brushed motor), but I thought it was 23. I also did another speed test with a fully-charged battery and I was able to get that extra 2mph for 30mph on the dot. I'm quite pleased with that, because traxxas states that the Merv does 30 with 28/50 not 25/50 on 2s or a single Nihm pack. I'm also using quite a low c rating on that pack, so if I bumped it up higher it could probably go a tad bit faster.

Thanks for the links though!
    Last edited by MiniSummit50Mph; 05-27-2020 at 11:46 AM.

It's the tires that kill the speed performance. I have both a summit and merv and the summit is a handful at higher speeds.
    But they both are fun!

RC poster
    Would 7.4 2s 2200mah 90c would be an over kill??

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_ryu View Post
    Would 7.4 2s 2200mah 90c would be an over kill??

Absolutely. The velineon motor doesn't need that high of a c rating to perform to it's best. If you were going to go "big block"
    with a Castle system, that battery would be perfect.

RC poster
    Would this be to weak

35C 2S 2000MAH 7.4V LIPO cant find any places that can ship to my location and this site I found does

Just because it has a higher c rating doesn't mean it won't work. Normally the higher the discharge rate (c rating) the better the battery is. It's better to have a higher c rating than what is needed, than one too low that cannot provide the needed power.

RC poster
    Just because it has a higher c rating doesn't mean it won't work. Normally the higher the discharge rate (c rating) the better the battery is. It's better to have a higher c rating than what is needed, than one too low that cannot provide the needed power.

Thank u been reading up on lipos, I guess I was confused due to that I vape and u want higher mah