RC poster

Body rub since tire/wheel switch, need some advice

Hello All,

I have lurked and searched all over but I could not find anything that has provided me what I need. I recently moved from the stock tires on my TRX4 Bronco to Hyrax 1.9 on SSD Steel Stock Beadlocks with dual stage foams. The tires are wheels are great and the Bronco performs fantastically.

However, during some major crawling, I noticed some wheel rub going on at the top of the Bronco's body fender. It did not do this during lighter and moderate stuff so it wasn't obvious at first. Now that I saw it, it is driving me nuts.

It will rub the top of the body fender when heavily articulated and it doesn't matter which wheel, seems to just depend on the travel being needed as I crawled.

I tried raising the body via the post adjustments and while that almost completely eliminated the rub (using the highest available setting) the body doesn't match up with the bumpers and looks horrible.

When I compare the Canyon Trails to the Hyrax 1.9s, the Hyrax do look a bit taller and I assume that is what is making the rub happen.

Minus trimming the body (and I really don't wish to as I want to keep the outside as stock looking as possible), what else would you guys suggest? I thought about taking the 90mm shocks and trying some Proline's at 95mm to see if that would do it.

Hopefully this post doesn't make me look completely stupid. After searching here, google, etc, I just didn't see much and I'd rather measure twice and cut once, so to speak.

Thanks all for any help you can provide!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird7 View Post
    Hello All,

I have lurked and searched all over but I could not find anything that has provided me what I need. I recently moved from the stock tires on my TRX4 Bronco to Hyrax 1.9 on SSD Steel Stock Beadlocks with dual stage foams. The tires are wheels are great and the Bronco performs fantastically.

However, during some major crawling, I noticed some wheel rub going on at the top of the Bronco's body fender. It did not do this during lighter and moderate stuff so it wasn't obvious at first. Now that I saw it, it is driving me nuts.

It will rub the top of the body fender when heavily articulated and it doesn't matter which wheel, seems to just depend on the travel being needed as I crawled.

I tried raising the body via the post adjustments and while that almost completely eliminated the rub (using the highest available setting) the body doesn't match up with the bumpers and looks horrible.

When I compare the Canyon Trails to the Hyrax 1.9s, the Hyrax do look a bit taller and I assume that is what is making the rub happen.

Minus trimming the body (and I really don't wish to as I want to keep the outside as stock looking as possible), what else would you guys suggest? I thought about taking the 90mm shocks and trying some Proline's at 95mm to see if that would do it.

Hopefully this post doesn't make me look completely stupid. After searching here, google, etc, I just didn't see much and I'd rather measure twice and cut once, so to speak.

Thanks all for any help you can provide!
    Try the lift kit for your trx4 I put it on my defender and it worked well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Did you find the lift kit affecting your roll over much? I have looked at the kit and it does look like a good option.

I would say getting a lift kit is a bit of an overkill. The lift kit is more for 2.2" tires (Stock tires are 1.9"). Also, the lift kit will make the truck flip over much easier. If you don't mind losing some articulation, you can add some spacers between the shock body and the bottom of the shock shaft (prevents it from compressing further). Another way to do it is to add more oil to the shocks to make it create a "hydro lock" (also prevents the shocks from compressing further).

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    I would say getting a lift kit is a bit of an overkill. The lift kit is more for 2.2" tires (Stock tires are 1.9"). Also, the lift kit will make the truck flip over much easier. If you don't mind losing some articulation, you can add some spacers between the shock body and the bottom of the shock shaft (prevents it from compressing further). Another way to do it is to add more oil to the shocks to make it create a "hydro lock" (also prevents the shocks from compressing further).
    Thanks for the suggestion, I like it a lot. My line of thinking is the same. The lift kit concerns me as to the higher center of gravity and I am really happy where it's at now. The other issue is the cost. I like the idea to mess with the shocks. I run 30w oil, I think it was stock, I was thinking of just going to the local hobby shop to see what a heavier weight oil will do.

Am I wrong or out of line to think about going with a longer shock? I see that Proline offers shocks that I can move from the stock 90mm to 95mm. Would I be able to move to a 95mm shock length without modification of anything? I am thinking a few more mm and it would be perfect.

Thanks to all of you for your time and information, it means a lot to me.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird7 View Post
    Am I wrong or out of line to think about going with a longer shock? I see that Proline offers shocks that I can move from the stock 90mm to 95mm. Would I be able to move to a 95mm shock length without modification of anything? I am thinking a few more mm and it would be perfect.
    Longer overall means longer compressed so should give you a bit more clearance for the tires.
    Should bolt on but not sure. I donít have a Trx4. I did put 110mm shocks on my Axial. It worked.
    Going up to only 95mm in length should work for you.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fortunespoonz View Post
    Longer overall means longer compressed so should give you a bit more clearance for the tires.
    Should bolt on but not sure. I don’t have a Trx4. I did put 110mm shocks on my Axial. It worked.
    Going up to only 95mm in length should work for you.
    Awesome, thanks so much for the info. I think I am ready to give this a shot with the shocks. Thanks!

RC poster

I figured I would post a pic of what my Bronco looks like. I will update this thread on Tuesday when I get a chance to try a few things out with the shocks to see if I am able to eliminate this fender rub. When I compared the Canyon Trails vs Hyrax 1.9, the Hyrax are about 2mm larger and that difference is what started this journey

Here is the rub I am talking about, its not major or anything but just something I want to get rid of:

Last edited by Bird7; 05-24-2020 at 08:13 PM.