Thread: Bad ESC?

RC Enthusiast

Bad ESC?

Hello, i drove today with my friend..we have the same specs, with the same batteryes..i tried to drive his car and i noticed that his car is more agresive than mine..it does wheelies with half the throttle while i need to pull it to the max...

Can this be the sign of bad ESC? I still have stock one..for 1.5 years...everything else is ok...

Thanks, best regards

Denis

RC Champion
    Have you adjusted the sensitivity on the traxxas link app
    Recalibrated ?

Swap batteries and test
    fabricator

RC Enthusiast
    Hello, throttle sensitivity is on 100%...i calibrated last week.

Can esc work on 85% power, or is just working or not working?

Thanks

Sure it is not on training mode. Have either of you changed diff oil?

Perhaps your diffs leaked oil and it's needs too off

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Any binding/ roll smooth overheat

Never heard of esc’s delivering different % power
    Battery / motor /and all bearings condition

Swamping batteries would be the best test

Front tires swelling more than the rear ?
    Last edited by CrazyXMAXX; 05-24-2020 at 01:40 PM.
    fabricator

RC Enthusiast
    Motor bearings are new, he was driving with my batteries..i have 4, and all are the same..same brand, same capacity, same C rating

If i remove traxxas link from controller, will this disable settings from BT module? Or they stay anyway and i need to reset/link controller again?

RC Champion
    Setting should stay- saved
    Center diff maybe needs rebuild

Can you try a different esc - current update

1600kv ,20/50 and a max6 for the win
    fabricator

Try swapping in his motor and see if the same. If it's same you know it's your diffs and oil.

If u get more power then you know it's your motor.

How's your wheel bearings?

RC Enthusiast
    Two of them in the rear are new, i bought RPM hubs last week..all others were cleaned and reoiled.

Center diff was rebuilded one month ago. I cleaned it and changed oil for silicone plugs
    Last edited by Double G; 05-25-2020 at 07:18 AM. Reason: merge

I would say it's the difference in his center diff oil vs yours.

RC Enthusiast
    Nope, we have the same..500k, silicone, 500k...its very strange..i know

RC Champion
    Just a bit Slower rpm motor maybe
    Some Traxxas gremlin at work
    Time to up a pinion tooth or 2
    fabricator

Quote Originally Posted by pixsna View Post
    Center diff was rebuilded one month ago. I cleaned it and changed oil for silicone plugs
    I don't know what you mean by silicone plug.

A quick check is swap motors with each other if possible then run. And see how each cars react. Is what I would do. Possibly do some speed runs and look at link app amp draws and speeds. And do a test on his as well and see what numbers for each are.

Otherwise I would be checking all 3 diffs. And oil levels.

What is in your center diff?

If the center diff is looser than the stock setup, it would "wheelie" less and seem to have less take-off power. The stock fluid weight is 20million which is very,very thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I would say it's the difference in his center diff oil vs yours.
    This is what I am thinking too.

RC Enthusiast
    I don't know what you mean by silicone plug.
    Silicone ear plugs, they are thicker than stock 20mil oil

Is this combo ok? Does this motor fit in standard motor mount?

I have alu mount, but is just like stock one

https://www.eurorc.com/product/24243...--1650kv-combo
    Last edited by Double G; 05-25-2020 at 07:18 AM. Reason: merge, clean-up

Is this combo ok? Does this motor fit in standard motor mount?

I have alu mount, but is just like stock one

https://www.eurorc.com/product/24243...--1650kv-combo
    I'm not sure about using earplugs as center diff oil medium... I'd be hesitant on that.

I want to say stock motor is 800kv max 5 or 6 will work I hear most use max 5 but not sure on motor. Sure others will chime in.

RC Qualifier
    I think the throttle settings in the app garage go as high as 110% you could try to go all they way up

Turn TSM all the way off

you could put the blue tooth module in your friends remote and compare settings

RC Enthusiast
    Throttle setting is to 120%..i have put it to the max.

If you are on something soft like sand, does your front tires spin like crazy or all 4 (front and rear)?

Or just trying to take off anywhere which tires spin the most?
    Last edited by grizzly03; 05-25-2020 at 08:41 AM.

RC Champion
    Got rid of the center diff on my 8s Xmaxx years ago
    Installed the Hot Racing center spool XMX51PE
    No more rebuilding the unwanted center diff

Do it well brothers
    fabricator

Hello, throttle sensitivity is on 100%...i calibrated last week.

Can esc work on 85% power, or is just working or not working?

Thanks

That is the problem right there!

"Throttle Sensitivity" works the same way as "Steering Sensitivity" in the "Drive Effects" section; not to be confused with "Steering%" in "Drive Effects" or "Throttle%" in the "Garage".

The higher the percentage, the less aggressive the response near neutral. "Throttle Sensitivity" should be set to 0.0%.

Click the help section in "Drive Effects" and select "Throttle Sensitivity" and you will see in its explanation, it is based on the same principles as the "Steering Sensitivity".

The "Throttle Setting" in "Garage" is awesome at 120%; but if your "Steering Sensitivity" in "Drive Effects" is set to 100% like you have it, you are basically trumping that 120% throttle setting in the "Garage".
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 05-25-2020 at 10:44 AM.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

Sorry, the last sentence in my above post should read:

The "Throttle Setting" in "Garage" is awesome at 120%; but if your "Throttle Sensitivity" in "Drive Effects" is set to 100% like you have it, you are basically trumping that 120% throttle setting in the "Garage".

I wrote "Steering Sensitivity" when I meant "Throttle Sensitivity".

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post

"Throttle Sensitivity" works the same way as "Steering Sensitivity" in the "Drive Effects" section; not to be confused with "Steering%" in "Drive Effects" or "Throttle%" in the "Garage".

The higher the percentage, the less aggressive the response near neutral. "Throttle Sensitivity" should be set to 0.0%.

Click the help section in "Drive Effects" and select "Throttle Sensitivity" and you will see in its explanation, it is based on the same principles as the "Steering Sensitivity".

The "Throttle Setting" in "Garage" is awesome at 120%; but if your "Steering Sensitivity" in "Drive Effects" is set to 100% like you have it, you are basically trumping that 120% throttle setting in the "Garage".
    Woow. I did not know that..awesome.i will try to set throttle sensitivity to 0

Thanks

Woow. I did not know that..awesome.i will try to set throttle sensitivity to 0

Thanks
    You are Welcome!

It helped tremendously on mine, as that "Throttle Sensitivity" automatically set to 100% after an update and my X-Maxx was slow like it was trying to wade through wet cement. So I set it back to 0.0% and it helped; but now I'm waiting on the Hot Racing differential lockers I ordered because the X-Maxx is too tame with a center differential.

I ordered two because I climb a lot of hills and I want my rear tires spinning at the same speed as each other as well as having my center differential locked.

RC Qualifier

Excellent explanation Flux

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Excellent explanation Flux

Thanks!

How exquisite; I got my own little Minion cheering section!

Probably the same mischievous critters that were giving me headaches with my steering servos; wait a minute, those were Gremlins, not Minions!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks!

How exquisite; I got my own little Minion cheering section!

Probably the same mischievous critters that were giving me headaches with my steering servos; wait a minute, those were Gremlins, not Minions!
    Ha, ha, ha, yeah, they were gremlins, or Traxxas demons.

RC Qualifier
    Yes thats great info on the "Driving Effects" settings. I gotta go check my trucks now

Quote Originally Posted by billyg900 View Post
    Yes thats great info on the "Driving Effects" settings. I gotta go check my trucks now
    The two settings to watch are the "Throttle Sensitivity" and "Steering Sensitivity" after firmware updates through the Bluetooth Application.

Another time after updates, my "Steering Sensitivity" automatically set to 100% and the vehicle wouldn't start turning the wheels until the steering wheel on the Transmitter was all the way turned hard over. I was like what in the world is going on here.

That is when I discovered the explanations in the help section that started to clarify how those sensitivity settings actually worked. I was thinking when I saw that 100% value in the sensitivity values in "Drive Effects", that it meant that it would be more responsive to input from the Transmitter and here it was, they actually worked in reverse of what the % value stood for.

The only time it is beneficial to have those sensitivity values set to 100% (especially steering sensitivity) is when you are racing a large oval hard track and you don't want the vehicle to immediately start a hard turn as soon as you start turning the wheel on the transmitter. You want a delayed response in your turning servo, and setting the value closer to 100% accomplishes that.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 05-26-2020 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Added information.

RC poster
    I am having the same problem with my new Xmaxx, my son has one that is 2 years old and it is just a beast/wheelie monster at about any speed. My new one does not have the same punch and acceleration. I have to really try to do wheelies however the top speed is the same as his. My thought is maybe the ESC has capacitors that are bad or weak and it can't deliver the same punch. We swapped motors between the trucks and that is not the problem, swapped batteries between trucks and they act the same. I tried a different remote controller from my E-Revo 2.0 that is an absolute wheelie monster and that made no difference either, I think the only thing left is the speed control. Also we both are running the 1 million weight oil in the center differential. What else should I try?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson3530 View Post
    I am having the same problem with my new Xmaxx, my son has one that is 2 years old and it is just a beast/wheelie monster at about any speed. My new one does not have the same punch and acceleration. I have to really try to do wheelies however the top speed is the same as his. My thought is maybe the ESC has capacitors that are bad or weak and it can't deliver the same punch. We swapped motors between the trucks and that is not the problem, swapped batteries between trucks and they act the same. I tried a different remote controller from my E-Revo 2.0 that is an absolute wheelie monster and that made no difference either, I think the only thing left is the speed control. Also we both are running the 1 million weight oil in the center differential. What else should I try?
    Have you adjusted the throttle sensitivity to 0%
    fabricator

RC poster
    Not sure how to do that and when I switched to the remote from my E-revo wouldn't that have taken care of it? How to you adjust the throttle sensitivity to 0% I will try that next.

RC Qualifier
    Not sure how to do that and when I switched to the remote from my E-revo wouldn't that have taken care of it? How to you adjust the throttle sensitivity to 0% I will try that next.
    If you have the Traxxas Bluetooth Module with the Traxxas Link App, is easy to set any adjust you want in the ESC, if not, you can use the Transmitter programmation, is in the manual, page 12 to 15.

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...ual-120130.pdf

RC poster
    Thank you that seemed to make it better. I will run a few more packs through it to test.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you that seemed to make it better. I will run a few more packs through it to test.
    You're welcome, enjoy it.