RC poster

Gen 1 Stampede Update . Having problems.

I have a mint Gen 1 stampede. Had the old mechanical ESC and all. I bought a hobby wing SC8 and 3800kb brushless setup with 2s Lipo 15/52 gearing and Im having a few issues.

First the truck is way over powered. I will be putting a wheelie bar on it, which will help control, but add more weight behind the rear axle. It just wheelies way way way to easy, its pretty much useless, and you have to use so little throttle input just driving it around and basically drive it slow because it will instantly back flip. I have the initial punch setting on the lowest and its better but not much fun to drive. It was much more controllable and fun with a tazer 15t and brushed motor. Would gearing it up help with this?

The other issue im having is with range. The older traxxas TQ system that im using is apparently getting interference from this new ESC setup, is there anything i can do to help this? I probably just need to upgrade the transmitter and radio. But currently if i have the antenna under the body aka not sticking out, i cant get more than 30' away and it looses control, this was never an issue with the old setup.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by burns363r View Post
    I have a mint Gen 1 stampede. Had the old mechanical ESC and all. I bought a hobby wing SC8 and 3800kb brushless setup with 2s Lipo 15/52 gearing and Im having a few issues.

First the truck is way over powered. I will be putting a wheelie bar on it, which will help control, but add more weight behind the rear axle. It just wheelies way way way to easy, its pretty much useless, and you have to use so little throttle input just driving it around and basically drive it slow because it will instantly back flip. I have the initial punch setting on the lowest and its better but not much fun to drive. It was much more controllable and fun with a tazer 15t and brushed motor. Would gearing it up help with this?

The other issue im having is with range. The older traxxas TQ system that im using is apparently getting interference from this new ESC setup, is there anything i can do to help this? I probably just need to upgrade the transmitter and radio. But currently if i have the antenna under the body aka not sticking out, i cant get more than 30' away and it looses control, this was never an issue with the old setup.
    Is that the 27mhz TQ with the metal antenna and crystals ?
    I had one of those installed in my “restoMod “ stampede. It was a little
    Glitchy. I ended up selling that radio off and out the new 2.4ghz radio in.

That is pretty high gearing. Stock gearing on a Brushless Stampede 4x4 for example is 11/54. I don't think that gearing up is your answer. I think you should probably gear down. With a high gearing, you are giving yourself less usable throttle range at low speeds. Gearing up would potentially reduce torque, but mainly it will just pull additional current from your battery until you hit the limit of your battery or ESC before you get a truly noticeable reduction in torque.

At least with lower gearing, you will have a much larger range of throttle to work with at low speeds. Even with a low gearing it will almost certainly still be faster than the brushed setup. There is no point in gearing that high with a 3800kv motor unless you are doing speed runs.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 05-24-2020 at 05:25 PM.

RC poster
    makes alot of sense. thank you.

Also ya its the old one with the crystal still.

Anybody recomend me a radio/reciever combo that wont break the bank?

RC poster
    also what pitch is everyone using? seems that 32p is all thats on ebay and they are metal now for spur gears? What was the stock pitch?

RC poster
    do people run steel spurs now?

Traxxas Marshal
    Stock gear pitch is 48, and that's plenty adequate for a vehicle like the Stampede. I, personally, don't recommend metal spur gears. I'd rather have the spur gear give out than a transmission gear. That said, does your truck have a slipper clutch? If it's old enough, there's a chance that it doesn't. Further, does it have bearings in the transmission and at the wheels? If not, that's a must-do upgrade.

As for radios, I'd just keep it simple with a modern Traxxas system.

Hopefully you can get it all sorted out. Honestly, anything should be better than that old MSC. Proportional throttle is SO much nicer than being stuck with just 3 speeds! I remember when I brought a Stampede to my first ever race back in 1999; it had an MSC, and it was horrible. I quickly saw the need to upgrade to an ESC for proportional throttle control, and I never looked back! (I will admit, I do have one vehicle with an MSC in my fleet still...an all original Villain IV that I built from a NIB kit in 2010. But that's just for the sake of keeping things original.)
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-25-2020 at 02:33 AM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    No slipper or bearings yet. But thats on the list. Seems like the newer traxxas radios are cheaper made? There are the 2.4ghz ones that look like the old TQ like i have. I like those, but none of them seem to have a reciever. The newer "cheaper" looking ones have receivers on ebay.

Traxxas Marshal
    I'm sure that you could find a receiver for one of those older 2.4 systems, but I'd personally just go with the newer ones. I wouldn't say that they are cheaper, just styled differently. (I do get what you're saying, tho.) You could always go aftermarket, but I feel like it's hard to beat Traxxas' radios for the price.

When it comes to bearings, make sure to get some 5x11 bearing carriers for the wheel bearings. The old, stock Stampede used 5x8 bushings; replacing those with 5x8 bearings doesn't always work all that well. 5x11 bearings will hold up a lot better. I recommend Traxxas or RPM for 5x11 carriers.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle