RC Competitor

Question hard cover or outerwears

Hey everyone! What would you recommend for a cover for under the body of my slash. An outerwears cover or a hard one like the JConcepts? Let me know what you guys think. I'm looking to keep it easier to clean and mainly to keep sand out. Going to take it to the beach if we are still able to go here in a few months. Thanks!

RC Competitor
    Used to use outerwears on 2 stampedes. The heat buildup was pretty incredible. Now I just clean them out afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on the temperature in your area, either one could spell disaster for your Slash. As already pointed out, heat buildup can be excessive.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Ok, thanks for the replies. I would have thought that the hard cover would have held heat and not the Outerwears.

What's your opinions on an Outerwears cover for just the motor? Or, is it the same deal too much heat retention?

Traxxas Marshal
    Personally, I think that you are better off cleaning your truck more often vs. restricting airflow to the electronics. (Unless you live somewhere that's always cold, I suppose.)
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    It keeps wet grass/mud out, but dry dust gets in anyway. Even with a hard overtray. Also, a lot of heat buildup.

Itís nice to have in wet conditions, but a waste of money in dry places

I've got a dusty motors cover on my Rustler 4x4. I don't have any issues with heat, but I've also got an esc farm and motor fan. I live in Arizona, so heat is always an issue. It keeps out everything- dead grass, dust, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    When driving in dry conditions, you can usualy just shake everything out of your slash, and get the dust of with a paint brush. it does help a lot in wet conditions with keeping stuff out, like I just posted, but wet grass/mud is a lot harder to get out, and those don't get in with an overtray.

It is very good to have one when running on the beach in that wettish sand. I did it once, without overtray, and the thing was FULL with sand. It made the Slash a lot heavier and reduced runtime and increased heat. If you run on beaches it is totally worth it.

in short:
    dry terrain: not worth it: spend 15 minuits with a vaccuum cleaner and a brush, and get everything out. it will get in anyway.
    wet terrain: not as dusty, so nothing gets in when running with a overtray. If you don't use it, a lot of wet grass/mud will get in, and that makes the screws rust, and you can't really get it out if its wet.

RC Qualifier
    There is always door number three:

No heat build up, and works very well.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the advice/recommendations. Just was looking at options for when we make our yearly beach trip.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    There is always door number three:

No heat build up, and works very well.
    What is door number three exactly? Do you have a link or name you could give me, so I could look into that? That would probably take care of what I want to do!
    EDIT: Is that the Scortched Parts fender kit?
    Last edited by wrencher11; 05-25-2020 at 08:09 PM.

RC Qualifier
    It looks like a Scorched Parts inner fender kit. I got one for a HCG chassis. I haven't checked lately but A Main was out of stock for the LCG kit for quite a while.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    It looks like a Scorched Parts inner fender kit. I got one for a HCG chassis. I haven't checked lately but A Main was out of stock for the LCG kit for quite a while.

I believe it is, from the pictures I found on A Main. I an looking at one on there now, I also have a HCG chassis. Probably going to buy one here tonight.

RC Qualifier
    When you trim the edges that will be near the body leave a little extra then trim them closer to the body so they're aren't gaps between the body and inner fenders. The instruction illustrations aren't the greatest and following the trimming directions i felt there was a little more gap than I desired.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    When you trim the edges that will be near the body leave a little extra then trim them closer to the body so they're aren't gaps between the body and inner fenders. The instruction illustrations aren't the greatest and following the trimming directions i felt there was a little more gap than I desired.

I did order those fenders. Thanks for the advice!

RC Qualifier
    As others have said, itís scorched rc fenders. And the advice above is right on point, leave a little extra to fit the contour of the body.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 05-26-2020 at 10:45 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    As others have said, itís scorched rc fenders. And the advice above is right on point, leave a little extra to fit the contour of the body.
    Awesome, I ordered a set. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    It seems odd they include a pair of high quality lexan scissors in the fender kits now.